Zushi (逗子) is a small city in Kanagawa, Japan about an hour by train south of Tokyo. It is often visited for its beach, marina, and summer events. Though it has a few historic temples and similar scenery to neighboring Kamakura, it gets much fewer tourists.
Take the Yokosuka line from Tokyo to Zushi (60-65 min);
Keihin Kyuko line from Shinagawa to Shinzushi station(47 min);
There are many buses, but the beach and shopping areas are within walking distance. Some of the better parks and temples are in the hills and a little far unless you want to take a nice long walk. Taxis are prevalent.
- Ganden-ji (岩殿寺), Hisagi, ５丁目７−１１ 観音堂 (15 min walk or a short taxi ride from Zushi station.). Number 2 in a series of temples, Bandō Sanjūsankasho, dedicated to the Goddess Kannon. Ganden-ji was founded in the year 721 and is surrounded by green hills.
- Hiroyama Park (Take the bus bound for Kamakura via Kotsubo at Zushi Station. 15-minute walk from the Hiroyama-iriguchi bus stop.). Panoramic view of Sea (Sagami Bay) and mountains around the area, including Mt. Fuji. There is a mini-zoo, with monkeys and small animals (free), and a small playground. There is also a hiking course from the north end of the beach (ask locals).
- Hisagi Ooike Park (about 20-25min. walk from Zushi Station). A pond is surrounded by lush greenery and is a haven for water plants and wild birds.
- Jinmuji Temple (神武寺), ２丁目-１４０２ Numama (Closer to Higashi Zushi Station.). Another old temple (year 724), surrounded by lush hills. There are many nice hiking courses nearby.
- Kotsubo (小坪). small fishing village with views of Mount Fuji and summer Ayu Festival
- Osaki Park. A similar view to Hiroyama Koen, but further away with fewer facilities. Fewer visitors come here.
- Zushi Beach (About a 10-15 min. walk from either Zushi or Shin-Zushi station.). A crescent-shaped beach about a couple kilometers long. Mt. Fuji is visible on a clear day from the south end of the beach. Has a pleasant atmosphere in the off-season with people flying kites, walking their dogs, or windsurfing in the bay. In the summer (the end of June-the end of August), it becomes a swimming beach and is a host to a number of beach houses, which feature food and drinks, live music, and more.
- Festivals: Zushi Coast Yabusame (Horseback Archery)/Zushi Yabusame Warrior Procession
- Swimming at the beach
- Windsurfing, boating, and sea kayaking - The bay is relatively shallow and calm, making a haven for wind surfers.
There are a number of smaller shops and boutiques, but Zushi is not considered a shopping destination.
There are a number of non-chain restaurants near the station. Especially, compared to other Japanese towns of this size, there are several local seafood places, Italian restaurants, and small "natural food" restaurants.
- Shokusaido, 249-0006 Kanagawa-ken, Zushi-shi, Zushi 5-7-6, Phone 046-871-7585. Hours: 5PM-12AM Closed Thursdays. Japanese, western. No English spoken. Price: 1000Y-2000Y entree.
- Lanterna Rossa, Kanagawa-ken, Zushi-shi, Zushi 6-5-9, 0468 72-2045. 12PM-3PM and 6PM-midnight. Italian Wine bar. Serves snacks (cured meats) and wine. Wines expensive.
- Napoli Pizzeria Cantina. Kanagawa-ken Zushi-shi, Shinjuku 1-3-15, 046-870-6440. 11AM-11PM. Large Italian restaurant with ocean and Fuji views. Pizza is made in a wood stove (specialty is Quattro Formaggi). Lunch sets are much cheaper than dinner and served quite late.
- Cinema Amigo, 1-5-14 Shinjuku Zushi Kanagawa Japan #249-0007 (On a narrow road behind Canita from the beach.), ☎ +81 46 873 5643. Set in a small old Japanese house with a nice atmosphere, it has a different chef everyday of the week serving meals (Japanese, Italian, Indian) with fresh ingredients. Lunches are usually about 1,000yen. Other times of the day, they play films (documentaries or art films) for 1,500, including a drink.
- Katsu’s Restaurant and Bar. Seafood. No English. Entrees around 3000Y.
There are a number of bars near the station (izakayas, Western bars, and wine bars). Most are visited with friends or small groups, rather than singles. A few have a beach atmosphere and are popular with visitors.
From late June to August, the beach is filled with various beach houses and bars, with various themes and music.