Woburn is a picturesque village in Bedfordshire, though is close to Milton Keynes in the Buckinghamshire. In addition to its Georgian architecture, Woburn is notable for Woburn Abbey, a stately home, and a safari park.
From London, take the M1 and leave at junction 13, then take the A4012. From Milton Keynes, either take the M1 from junction 14 to junction 13 (then A4012) or head towards to M1 but instead take the A5130 to Woburn. From Bedford, take the A412 towards junction 13 of the M1, then take the A4012
Woburn Sands is the nearest railway station. It is served by trains that run between Bletchley (near Milton Keynes) and Bedford. There are no direct trains to Milton Keynes or London. Bus 138 links Woburn Sands station with Woburn.
- Woburn Abbey, ☎ +44 1525 290333. is set within 3,000 acres of beautiful gardens complete with a deer park and fabulous buildings and really is a must-see if you find yourself in Bedfordshire. The Abbey itself has been home to the Dukes of Bedford for more than 300 years and is now occupied by the 15th Duke and his family. There are many things to do at the Abbey: if the weather is nice maybe a picnic lunch in the stunning grounds watching some of the ten species of deer, or you can join one of the tours looking at the many paintings collected at the Abbey, including those by Gainsborough, Reynolds, Van Dyck and Cuyp. There is also a fabulous Tea Room where you can enjoy traditional afternoon tea in true English style and new for 2008 is the Woburn at War exhibition, which illustrates the impact of wars on Woburn Abbey.
- Woburn Safari Park, Woburn Park, Crawley Rd, ☎ +44 1525 290407. really offers an amazing safari adventure where you might least expect it! Drive around in your own car and experience the beauty of wild animals up close and personal... but watch out for those mischievous monkeys! Aside from seeing sea lions, birds of prey, elephants, giraffes, tigers, lynxes, penguins and snakes, to name but a few, you can also pre-book a special experience: VIP Tour with a Ranger, walk with elephants or breakfast with the carnivores, and there is also the Great Woburn Railway, Swan Boats and the Mammoth Play Ark to keep you and your family occupied.
- The Bell Hotel, 21 Bedford Street (Central Woburn), ☎ +44 1525 290280. Restored Georgian townhouse, 25 rooms, smart restaurant, free WiFi
- Longs Inn, 18 Bedford Street (Central Woburn), ☎ +44 1525 290219. Formerly Magpies Hotel, 17th century hotel with characterful bar. 15 rooms, free WiFi From £75.
- The Inn at Woburn, George Street (at the crossroads in central Woburn), ☎ +44 1525 290441. 17th century building, 48 rooms, smart restaurant
Nearby Milton Keynes offers budget accommodation.