Whitley Bay is a coastal town at the edge of the Tyneside connurbation. It became a seaside resort in the late nineteenth century.
Three stations serve the area.
- Monkseaton Metro Station. Convenient for the North of town, but a little back from the coast.
- Whitley Bay Metro Station.
- Cullercoats Metro Station. Near Cullercoats harbour
- St Mary's Island. Small island with a lighthouse which can be accessed at low tide.
- Beach and Promenade. A long sandy beach. This is down several flights of stairs from the promenade.
- Cullercoats Harbour.