Weißenburg was a free imperial city for 500 years.
With train from Nuremberg or Ingolstadt, you can take the regional train (not ICE) in direction Treuchtlingen. Weißenburg has an own train station.
You can reach Weißenburg easy on the national highway "B2".
- Wülzburg. one of the best-preserved Renaissance fortresses in Germany
- Kastell Biriciana, Am Römerlager 16. Roman fort remains and reconstruction.
Around the whole city you will find supermarkets called Aldi, Marktkauf, Norma, Penny. In the old city of Weißenburg you will find clothes stores, bakeries and turkish fast food stores.
Lots of traditional restaurants around. The quality of food is generally quite high. Main courses about €8-15, half liter of beer for €3-5.
- Al Forno Ristorante, Nördliche Ringstraße 37, ☎ +49 9141 920420.
- Bräustüberl Zur Kanne, Bachgasse 15, ☎ +49 9141 3844. Tu-So 10.30–14.00 and 17.30–24.00. Original interior nearly untouched since 1890.
- Löwengarten Restaurant, Westliche Ringstr. 36, ☎ +49 9141 8731963. Greek and German food.
- Mai Thai, Bismarckanlage 16, ☎ +49 9141 995759.
- Steakhaus El Toro, Obertorstr. 5, ☎ +49 9141 922730.
- Silbermühle - vino y tapa Restaurant, Silbermühle 4, ☎ +49 9141 9744001, e-mail: email@example.com.
- Flair Hotel Am Ellinger Tor, Ellinger Str. 7,, ☎ +49 9141 86460.
- Hotel-Gasthof Schwarzer Bär, Marktpl. 13, ☎ +49 9141 92426.
- Brombachsee lake with three parts in the North with lots of spare time activities.
- Gunzenhausen with nearby Altmühlsee
- Altmühl nature reserve
- Altmühl valley
- Fossa Carolina is a former 3 km long channel between Altmühl and the Rezat built in 793 near Treuchtlingen. It effectively connected the river systems of the Rhein heading to the North sea with the Danubian river system going to the Black Sea. This was the first of three attempts to connect the two rivers (a later one in the 19th century failed due to competition from railways, the current one dates to 1992).