Warrnambool has an airport located approximately 15km north of the CBD. There are no scheduled commercial flights.
V/Line operates three daily train services from Melbourne to Warrnambool. The journey (of just over 3 hours) operates via Geelong, and trains have a buffet car on board serving snacks. Generally, you have to ring V/Line to make a reservation, or go to a station and do so, especially if you are travelling from Southern Cross Station in Melbourne, however, there are conductors on board who sell tickets. Tickets are $52 return from Melbourne if you travel in the off-peak hours, or $74.20 during peak hours.
From Melbourne, Warrnambool can be reached on the Princes Highway and it takes approximately 3.5 hours. Another possible route is going along the Hamilton Highway, which takes approximately 3.5 hours as well. Alternatively, you can take the Great Ocean Road. This takes approximately 6.5 hours (without stopping), but is well worth it for the spectacular views.
Warrnambool is reasonably easy to navigate by car. Metered parking in the city costs 70c per hour.
Transit South West operates 10 bus routes within the city of Warrnambool. Most routes run hourly, and the city terminus is a short walk from the railway station. Tickets are $2.00 for 2 hours, and $3.40 for a full day (half price concession/children's tickets).
- Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum. 9AM - 5PM. A substantial museum, with a replica community and many exhibits. A nighttime show "Shipwrecked" tells the story of the wreck at Loch Ard gorge, projected onto a water fountain in the lake
- Lake Pertobe and Foreshore area.
- Southern Right Whales at Logans Beach.. There is a viewing platform, and whales can often be easily seen without binoculars.
- Tower Hill (Princes Hwy, 14 km west of Warrnambool). wildlife reserve
- Botanical gardens, Botanic Road.
Kermonds Hamburgers - 151 Lava Street. Original 1950's style hamburgers.
There is lots of accommodation, including motels and rental houses.
- Comfort Inn Warrnambool, Corner Timor and Kepler Street.
- The Sebel Deep Blue Warrnambool, 16 Pertobe Road, ☎ +61 3 5559 2000. The Sebel Deep Blue Warrnambool offers luxurious Warrnambool hotel accommodation along the Great Ocean Road, the indulgent Bath House & Day Spa and superb Warrnambool dining at The Water Table restaurant.
|Routes through Warrnambool|
|END ←||W E||→ Terang → Melbourne|
|Mount Gambier ← Port Fairy ←||W E||→ Camperdown → Melbourne|
|END ←||W E||→ Peterborough → Torquay|