The nearest train station is Bourg-Saint-Maurice, which is served by TGV and local services. In the winter months, additional services operate; Eurostars direct from London, Thalys trains from Europe, and the ski train sleeper from Paris. This is some 35 km away however, so coach services provide the onward connection; the journey takes about 1 hour 15 minutes in good weather.
If you are driving to Val D'Isere be aware that you may be required to equip your car with snowchains. Also note that during winter it is not possible to access Val D'Isere from south, coming from Susa or Modane, since the Iserian alpine pass is then closed.
- Geneva Cointrin Airport, 180 km from Val d'Isère, Transfer by bus is 4h30
- Lyon Saint Exupéry Airport, 220 km from Val d'Isère, Transfer by bus is 3h30
- Chambéry airport, 130 km from Val d'Isère, Transfer by bus is 3h30
- Grenoble airport, 210 km from Val d'Isère
A completely free bus services runs in the village to transport skiiers and residents around. In the winter season buses run every 5 minutes between 8AM-PM; in the summer they run every half an hour. The village centre is pedestrian only.
The town centre is very attractive and lively; the architecture in the town is very pleasing and has been improved in recent years. Of course, the resort's natural assests are its best - the views of the Alps are always stunning.
The resort is world-renowned for the amount of lift-served off-piste it offers; in particular, intermediates and experts are well served. For beginners, there are several schools and guides. The lift system has been recently upgraded, and a common pass for the Espace Killy area introduced (providing access to slopes in Tignes as well as Val D'Isere. For the 2006/7 season, a six-day pass will cost €180 (£135; $220).
The resort has 300 km of piste, of which 26 km is served by snowmaking equipment. 15% of pistes are green, 46% blue, 27% red and 12% black.
In addition, Val d'Isere is one of the highest resorts in Europe (1850), which means that there is a greater chance of better snow. It is also connected to Tignes (2100m), which is even higher.
During the summer, the resort is open for mountain biking and hiking.
Ski equipment and rental is available.
Loads of different restaurants - most feature the local specialities of fondue, raclette and braserade.
- The Lodge. Cheap and cheerful.
- Taverne d'Alsace. Yummy Alsatian.
- Casa Scara. Yummy Italian.
As one of the apres ski capitals of the Alps - Val has plenty of establishments to keep you occupied!
- Blue Note.
- Cafe Face.
- Dick's Tea Bar.
- Moris Pub.
- Pacific Bar.
There are several quaint hotels, apartment rentals and chalets available up to 4 star. The night life in the resort is very good.
There are many accommodation choices. Perhaps the best known hotel is the Hotel Christiana, which is very close to the lifts and the ski schools.
- Chalet Aquilina (Chalets in Val d'Isere), Appt 208, Residence L'Aquila, 73150 Val D'Isere, France, ☎ +33457159131, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Sleeps up to 6 guests. Central location close to Solaise & Bellevarde main ski lifts which links to Espace Killy cicuit. Aquilina has a high standard of finish with 3 bedrooms, 2 bath/shower & open living area with balcony overlooking lifts and La Face World Championship run. Facilities include Internet, TV, Parking, Ski & Boot room & more. Pets allowed.
- Hotel Avenue Lodge, Avenue Olympique (near place Jacques Moufflier), ☎ +33 4 79 00 67 67, e-mail: email@example.com. Located on the most beautiful avenue in Val d'Isère, the Hotel with lounge bar, pro shop, spa, large lounge area with a fireplace and spacious bathrooms. €330-695.
- Le Chardon Mountain Lodges. For the ultimate luxury.
- "Pierre & Vacances residence Les Balcons de Bellevarde - Val d'Isere", ☎ +33 1 58 21 55 84. The Pierre & Vacances Balcons de Bellevarde residence a Val di'Isere is a fully refurbished, south facing residence that enjoys magnificent panormaic views of the resort and the slopes. The residence has ski in/ski out facilities, a heatroom ski room and lockers. The apartments are comfortable and welcoming and all have duvets as standard.
- Résidences MGM Les Chalets du Laisinant, ☎ +33 870 026 7144. Located in the Laisinant district at the foot of the 'Mattis' and 'L' runs at Val d'Isere. Has 12 chalet-style apartments that are spacious, comfortable and peaceful. A free shuttle service,(stop 50m from residence) provides an easy access to the resort centre 1km away. Bakery service available.
- Residence Maeva La Daille Soleil. In the area of Eclose, this south-facing building enjoys the longest hours of sunshine. The apartments all have a balcony and the majority have a view of the Massif de l'Oisans. A lift (50 m away) enables the runs and the centre of the resort to be reached quickly.
For major shopping etc., Geneva, Switzerland is about 2 hours away in car, 4 by train. Lyon is about 4 hours by car, 4 hours by train. For lesser needs, Bourg-Saint-Maurice has a cinema and outdoor and indoor swimming pool.