Upernavik is home to the largest bird cliff, Apparsuit, and very unique wildlife. Upernavik’s main industry is fishing. Local settlements are spread across the 450km coastline. The sea is frozen from December to June so the halibut are caught on long lines through the ice. Most anglers travel out to their fishing spots on the ice by snowmobile or dog sled. Tourists can do the same and experience the chance to travel across the ice.
Several weekly flights are operated from Kangerlussuaq, with a layover in Ilulissat, to Upernavik. Transportation between Upernavik and the surrounding settlements is either by air via helicopter or dog sleds.
Upernavik is ideal for kayaking or sailing trips along the coast between settlements. The best way to get around the town is by foot, which is easy due to the size.
Upernavik is the epitome of traditional Greenlandic hunting culture. This area used to be a spring hunting ground for many Greenlandic people and is a great place to learn more about this traditional way of life.
- . The oldest museum in Greenland includes all of the original colonial buildings and is the northernmost outdoor museum in the world. It features two traditional women’s boats and other exhibitions showcasing the local cultural history.
- , P.O. Box 19, 3962 Upernavik, ☎ +299 96 12 24, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Small local protestant church in Upernavik.
- Dog Sledding. The best tourist expedition is over the Davis Strait to the fishing areas used by the local fishermen. This is the only way to reach the sites during the winter when the sea is frozen from December to June.
- Kayak North, P.O. Box 40, 3962 Upernavik, ☎ +299 96 10 40. Kayaks and equipment are easily rented in town, and the nearly 100 lakes in the area are perfect for kayaking. The kayak is still used by local hunters to hunt along the ice edge in the spring and summer months. Small tour operator offering kayak rentals and guided tours. The company can also assist with accommodations if necessary. $687-$1400+ depending on length of excursion (7-14 days).
- Sailing. The most popular sailing options in Upernavik include whale safaris and sailing up into the Upernavik Icefjord. This is a great way to see the spectacular scenery among the icebergs.
- , Niuertup Ottup Aqq. B12, 3962 Upernavik, ☎ +299 96 10 85.
- Gina's Guesthouse, B902, 3962 Upernavik, ☎ +299 52 21 22, e-mail: email@example.com. Small hotel, free transportation to and from the airport. Charges for the internet, but fees are relatively low. Offers breakfast for $22. Single: $159 Double $199.
- Gina's Hostel/Annex, B102, 3962 Upernavik, ☎ +299 52 21 22, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Small hostel with 3 rooms and 10 beds. Group discounts are available for groups looking to book all beds. Includes a dining and living room with large TV. Single $120, Double $160.