Udo's located to the northeast of the village of Seongsan-ri on Jeju Island and is only three and a half kilometers off its coast. After Jeju Island itself, it is the second largest island in Jeju-si, although it only has a population of 370 people. Udo literally means "Cow Island" in Chinese and the island probably has this name because it looks like a cow lying down. The whole of Udo Island is a lava plateau with some fertile, flat land where the major agricultural products are sweet potatoes, garlic, and peanuts. There's a parasitic volcanic cone, called shoi meori oreum, in the southeast.
Udo can be reached several times a day by ferry from the village of Seongsan-ri.
- Seobin Baeksa. is a white sandy beach that's been a popular scene in many Korean dramas and films.
- Udobong Peak. at 132m is the highest point on Udo island and offers great views of the national park.
- Bike Tours, ☎ +82 64 783-0516. Udo island is small enough that a 13km bike ride will cover most of it. ₩2,000 /hr / ₩5,000 /3 hr.
- Lighthouse Park, ☎ +82 64 710-3312. This lighthouse is right in front of a dramatic sea view in the Udo Provincial Maritime Park. Originally built by the Japanese during the occupation of Korea. ₩1,000.
- Udo Museum, 1457 Seogwang-ri, Udo Island. 09:00-18:00. Exhibits of marine and insect life on the island of Udo, including a fossil collection. ₩4,000, children ₩2,000.
The island is really set up for day trips. You will typically sleep on Jeju island itself.