Tyumen (Russian: Тюме́нь tyoo-MEHN) is a city in Western Siberia and the capital of Tyumen Oblast, the second largest region in Russia after Krasnoyarsk Krai, with a population of approximately 600,000 people.
Tyumen was founded in 1586 as the first Russian settlement in Siberia. During World War II, the city grew rapidly as many industries relocated further away from the war.
The region has plentiful oil resources and the city is now home to many companies in the Russian oil and gas industry. As a result, Tyumen has the highest GDP per capita of all cities in Russia, even higher than that of Moscow.
OAO Aeroport Roshchino, (IATA: TJM), +7 345 249-64-13, is 13km northwest of the city centre. There are 9 flights per day to and from Moscow. The journey takes 2 hours. There are also regular flights to Saint Petersburg, Irkutsk, Krasnoyarsk, Novosibirsk, Omsk, and Tashkent.
- See also: Trans-Siberian Railway
Buses cost RUB12 or RUB14.
Taxis are plentiful and you can even negotiate hourly rates.
Tyumen has many unique statues and monuments.
- Monument to the Homeless Dog
- Monument to students from Tyumen Schools Who Did Not Come Back From The War
- Monument to Conductor
- Lenin Statue
- Monument to Machine Tool Builders
- Sculpture Harp
- Father Statue
- Happiness Tree Sculpture
- Sculpture of Street Cleaner
- Monument of Mother
- Monument to the Janitor
- Monument to Yuri Hervieu
- Monument to Liquidators
- Fountain-Monument to Tyumen Oblast
- Monument to Afghan Soldiers
- City Garden Monument
- Monument to Country Doctor
- Monument to the Postman
- Monument to Workers in Rear Area
- Monument to Grigoriy Rasputin
- Globe Monument
- Church of the Saviour
- Holy Trinity Men's Monastery
- Znamenskiy Cathedral
- Saint Archangel Michael Church
- Holy Cross Temple
- Saint George Ascension Church
- Saint Dmitriy of Don Temple
- Saint Nicholas Temple
- The Temple in Honor of the Annunciation
- Tyumen Chapel
- Tyumen Synagogue
- The Kolokolnikovs' Estate Museum Complex
- City Council Local History Museum
- Fine Arts Museum
- Masharov's House Museum
- Walk along the embankment of the Tura River. Walk across the Bridge of Lovers, a pedestrian bridge.
- Tyumen Drama Theatre - ul. Respubliki, 129 (+7 345 240-98-23)
- Tyumen Puppet Theater
- Tsvetnoy Park is a beautiful park that includes the Monument to the Homeless Dog.
- City Park of Culture and Leisure
- Forest Park of Gagarin
- Park of Deputies
- Gilevskaya Grove
- Siberian Cats Park
- Victory Park
- Solnechnyy Mall
- Premyer Mall
- Galeria Voyage Mall
There is a McDonald's restaurant in the park at ul. Lenina #54.
- Assorti Restaurant, ul. Babarynka, 1к6, ☎ +7 345 223-42-34. Pizza, sushi, soups, and various menu options.
- Big Apple Pub (Паб Большое яблоко), Osipenko 73 (near Ovental Tower buisness center), ☎ +7 345 2 63-20-15. Great American bar in downtown. All homesick expats would feel home there.
With the exception of some high-end hotels, all hotels and hostels offer free WiFi and many have computer terminals. Almost all accept credit cards. Hotels and hostels will usually provide a visa invitation and registration for an additional fee.
- Muesli Hostel, 83/1 Khokhryakova, ☎ +7 345 225-35-53. Dorm bed: RUB800; Double: RUB2,500; Triple: RUB2,700.
- Remezov, ul. Griboyedova, 6 (in the city centre). Flat-screen TVs with satellite channels, desks, minibars, and safes. Suites with pull-out sofas are available. From RUB5,200.
- Business Hotel Eurasia, Sovetskaya ul., 20 (in the city centre), ☎ +7 345 255-00-25. Flat-screen TVs and minibars. French, Moroccan, and English-inspired decor. Gym and a spa with a sauna and treatments. Rooftop bar. From RUB5,000; breakfast included.
- DoubleTree by Hilton Tyumen, ul. Ordzhonikidze, 46 (in the city centre), ☎ +7 345 249-40-40. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 12PM. 40-inch LED TVs, indoor heated swimming pool, beauty salon, solarium, room service.
There are 3 universities and several colleges.
- Ukraine (General Consulate), Semakova street, 4, ☎ +7 3452 46-40-18, +7 3452 45-25-80, +7 3452 46-40-67, fax: +7 (3452) 46-40-67/76, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org. 9AM - 6PM.
|Routes through Tyumen|
|Moscow ← Yekaterinburg ←||W E||→ Omsk → Novosibirsk|