Tuam Town is in County Galway.
Tuam lies 32km north of Galway City on the N17 major route. It owes its origin according to legend, to the broken chariot wheel which St. Jarlath took as a sign to found his monastic settlement here in the 5th century. Tuam, the probable capital of Ireland during the 12th century, when the High King Rory O’Connor was in residence. During this period the O’Connors endowed Tuam with the processional Cross of Cong (now in the National Museum), and are associated with the ornamental High Crosses (now in St. Mary's Cathedral). Tuam's location on the N17 makes it a natural dormitory town of Galway city, but it also has many fine local industries.
Tuam is best known as a centre of church affairs, ancient and modern and has two cathedrals. The town owes its foundation to a monastery established here in the 6th century by St. Jarlath; ruins of Temple Jarlath, in the centre of the city, date from around 1360. The 14' 12 century High Cross of Tuam, a decorated sandstone piece, was once broken in three, with each piece in different ownership. It is now situated in the rebuilt (1878) Church of Ireland cathedral, which has a magnificent red sandstone chancel arch in laboured Romanesque, erected certainly between 1128 and 1152.
Tuam will commemorate the 400 year anniversary in 2013. Tuam 400 is a festival of events designed to celebrate this historic marker as well as acknowledge the extraordinary achievements of its townspeople and market Tuam as a great place to live, work and visit.
Tuam is located on the N17 which is well services by Bus Eireann. An hourly bus service is available to Galway City. Both bus and train services are available from Galway City to other parts of Ireland.
Knock Airport is located 30 minutes to the North of Tuam Town.
Tuam is well services with chauffeur, taxi and hackney services.
There are also a number of private bus operators who transport small or large groups all over Ireland.
- Castlehackett (From town centre, 2 km towards Galway, 2nd turn right, sign posted for Belclare 1 km on that road). Reputed to be the burial spot of Queen Maeve.
- Cathedral of the Assumption. Where St Jarlaths chariot wheel came undone.
- Chair of Tuam (In O’Tooles car park). Part of the O’Connor castle.
- Cloonfush Graveyard (From town centre, 1 km towards Galway, first turn right, 2 km to end of road). Reputed to be the starting point of St Jarlath’s journey.
- Palace Grounds. A beautifully maintained scenic park with picnic area and 2 km walkway through the trees.
- St. Mary’s Cathedral and Synod Hall. Incorporates the chancel and Hiberno-Romanesque arch of a former cathedral. The Church of Ireland cathedral dates from the 12th, 14th, and 19th centuries. St Mary's also houses The High Cross of Tuam which was erected in the south transept of the 19th century building.
- Teampall Jarlath. 13th century parish church ruins and graveyard.
Golf : Tuam Golf Club is one of the top parkland courses in the West of Ireland. Green fees are available Monday through Saturday, with an Open competition every Wednesday.
Fishing : Tuam is a 30 minute drive from both Lough Mask and Lough Corrib. Both lakes offer some of the best fresh water fishing in Europe.
Walking : There are several scenic walks in the area, including :
- Knockma the great 'Hill of Maeve' which is situated 2km west of Belclare. Maeve the legendary Queen of Connacht is reputed to be buried in the Cairns on the summit of the hill from which one of the greatest panoramic views in Ireland may be obtained.
- The river walk at Milltown, just 10km to the North of Tuam on the N17.
- Cre na Cille Restaurant, High St, ☎ +353 93 28232. Long established and well know restaurant, where chef Paddy McCooey and his wife Ann bring several years of experience to the business. Paddy has many years experience in well known establishments, from the Waldrof Hotel to catering for thousands of people a day at Earl’s Court, to preparing executive luncheons in the private dining rooms of premier City banks.