Tsethang (Chinese: Zedang) is a city in Shannan Prefecture.
Bus from either long-distance or mid-distance bus stations in Lhasa to Tsethang early mornings daily. Return from Shannan Bus Station several times in morning.
- Mt Gongpori and the Monkey Cave - said to be birthplace of Tibetan people
- Tsethang Gompa (Ganden Choekhorling) - undergoing reconstruction
- Tradruk Temple (Changzhusi) - oldest temple in Tibet, legend says king exterminated 5 dragons in lake near temple and built temple in victory. Famous Thangka made of pearls.
- Sheldrak Drubpuk (Crystal Caves) - location where Guru Rinpoche meditated and so important pilgrimage site.
- King's Tombs at Chongye - Located in village of Chongye, 28 km south of Tsethang, was ancient capital of Tibet until transfer to Lhasa. Across river from village are groups of ancient tombs that are regarded as the graves of successive Tibetan kings, including Songtsen Ganpo himself
No Bank of China branch or ATM
Tsethang Hotel (Zedang Fandian), Friendship Hotel (Youyi Binguan), Tsethang Guesthouse (Zedang Zhaodaisuo) and Post Office Guesthouse (Youdian Gongwan) are only places foreigners advised to stay.