Just east of the Donner Pass on Interstate 80, Truckee is an easy entry point for travelers from the Bay Area to the region.
- Truckee Donner Chamber of Commerce, 10065 Donner Pass Rd, ☎ +1 530 587-8808, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Daily highs (°F)||41||44||49||55||64||74||83||82||75||64||49||40|
|Nightly lows (°F)||14||16||21||25||31||36||41||40||34||27||20||15|
Data from NOAA (1981-2010)
I-80 bisects Truckee allowing access from Sacramento and the Bay Area from the west, and Reno to the east.
From Lake Tahoe, SR 267 heads north into Truckee.
While easy to approach under clear conditions, travelers should pay close attention to inclement weather during the winter. Roads in and out of Truckee can rapidly become treacherous during heavy winter storms. Donner Pass (over 7,000 ft/2,100 m elevation) in particular should not be attempted during heavy storms without strong winter driving skills and chains or 4-wheel drive. While well-maintained and regularly plowed, the pass can live up to its infamous name under the worst conditions.
Truckee has an airport, however it does not offer commercial flights in or out. The closest large airport is located approximately 36 mi (58 km) away in Reno, Nevada. The Sacramento International Airport is also an option, and is about 120 mi (193 km) away, on the north side of Sacramento, California.
- Amtrak (California Zephyr), 10065 Donner Pass Rd. Amtrak's California Zephyr has daily service to Truckee in each direction on its route from San Francisco (Emeryville) to Chicago. A number of buses connect Truckee to Amtrak's Capitol Corridor trains in Sacramento.
Donner Lake; John Dewald's House on St. Croix street
- Coyote Moon Golf Course, 10685 Northwoods Blvd., ☎ +1 530 587-0886. May–October (weather permitting). Tee times: 5AM-6PM. Regular rate: $160. Twilight Rate: $100.
- Northstar-at-Tahoe (100 Northstar Drive), toll-free: +1-800-466-6784. Downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, geocaching, ice skating, and wine tasting.
- Soar Truckee, Martis Creek Dam Rd (Truckee Tahoe Airport), ☎ +1 530 587-6702, e-mail: email@example.com. May–October (weather permitting). $109-$255.
- Niche Boutique, 10164 Donner Pass Rd, ☎ +1 530 587-3100. Fun women's clothing and home furnishings.
- Tahoe Dave's, 10200 Donner Pass Rd, ☎ +1 530 582-0900. Ski, snowboard, snow shoes, x- country ski and snow clothing rentals.
- Start Haus, 10990 Donner Pass Rd, ☎ +1 530 582-5781. Ski, Ski Boots, Apparel, Race Gear, and a full service ski tune and boot fitting back shop.
- 50/50 Brewing Company. Outstanding local Microbrew with a large menu and live entertainment.
- Full Belly Deli, 10825 Pioneer Trail Road, Suite 103 (Pioneer Commerce Center, Donner Pass & Pioneer Trail), ☎ +1 530-550-9516. 7AM-4PM. Housemade breads, huge sandwiches, fresh soup, housebaked goods, full espresso bar, local favorite
- Moody's Bistro & Lounge, 10007 Bridge St, ☎ +1 530 587-8688. Pricey, but delicious sustainable food in an elegant setting.
- Cottonwood Restaurant and Bar (Hilltop Lodge), 10142 Rue Hilltop (From Brockway Road, turn onto Old Brockway Road; follow signs to Cottonwood on Rue Hilltop), ☎ +1 530 587-5711, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 4:30-10 p.m.. Cottonwood has been a fixture of Truckee's vibrant dining scene for 25 years. Housed in a historical ski lodge, constructed in 1928 to serve as a warming hut for the town of Truckee's ski and toboggan hill, the restaurant is a virtual museum of historic photos and artifacts. With spectacular views of downtown Truckee from the Dining Room or expansive Deck, Cottonwood has a diverse menu that consists of an eclectic menu of steaks, pastas, seafood and vegetarian dishes using fresh organic produce and sustainable meats and seafood whenever possible, complemented by a full bar and adventuresome wine list. Home to a vibrant acoustic music scene, Cottonwood features free live music every Thursday and Friday nights, and features a nightly Happy Hour until 6pm. Groups and special events are welcome.
The oldest stretch of "Downtown" Truckee (towards the East end of town) features a string of bars and is a lively scene most nights during the high season. Visitors should take note that the Truckee Police and California Highway Patrol have a zero-tolerance policy for drunk driving, and sobriety stops are not uncommon. While crime rates in the area are very low, a larger-than-expected number of locals boast a D.U.I. on their records due to this enforcement focus.
- Holiday Inn Express, 10527 Cold Stream Rd, ☎ +1 530 582-9999.
- Hotel Truckee - Tahoe, 11331 Brockway Rd, ☎ +1 530 587 4525. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. There is a restaurant on the premise called Mountain Burrito Company.
- Tahoe National Forest, 9646 Donner Pass Rd, ☎ +1 530 587-3558, e-mail: email@example.com. Truckee is at the center of the Truckee District of Tahoe National Forest which offers hiking, hunting, fishing, skiing, off-highway vehicle usage, camping, boating, and swimming. Most of these are free but permits may be required. Check with the ranger station for details.
|Routes through Truckee|
|Sacramento ← Roseville ←||W E||→ Reno → Salt Lake City|
|Sacramento ← Auburn ← Jct W ←||W E||→ Reno → Salt Lake City|
|Mount Shasta ← Quincy ← Jct S N ←||N S||→ Tahoe City → Jct N S|