Trichy is an ancient city of South India and it was capital of Chola and Naicka kings for many centuries. The battle between the British (East Indian Company) & French with the help of locals marked the beginnings of the British Raj in the southern part of India.
Tiruchy, Trichy or Tiruchirappalli is well connected to Chennai the capital city of Tamil Nadu. Geographically located at the center of Tamil Nadu, Tiruchy provides good connectivity between all major towns and cities in Tamil Nadu both by road and rail.
Major national highways pass through Tiruchirappalli leading to well connected road network to rest of India. Grand Southern Trunk Road (GST Road) or National Highway 45 (NH45) is one of the busiest National Highways in Southern India with a total length of 472 km (293 mi). The highway exactly starts from Kathipara junction in Guindy, a very busy confluence of five roads in south Chennai and extends up to Theni. It connects Chennai to its airport and the southern suburbs. The two important cities connected by this highway are Chennai and Trichy and the two important towns connected by this highway are Dindigul and Theni in Tamil Nadu. The highway has a 4 lane (2 lanes each direction) system between Chennai and Trichy, though a complete change to 6 lanes is being planned. And Dindigul - Theni part is under four lane construction. The Chennai International Airport is located on this highway within the Chennai City limits.
The highest number of buses leaving Chennai is towards Trichy and vice versa. One can either take the State Government run buses (State Express Transport Corporation or Tamil Nadu State Transport Corp.) or private buses. The private buses run by the following operators are very convenient and timely and comfortable:
- KPN Travels
- Parveen Travels
- SRM Travels
- MJT Travels
- City Express Travels
- ABT Travels
- RKT Tours and Travels
- SRS Travels or
- RPN Travels
- Sri Renganathan Travels
Other alternatives are at Redbus
All these have Internet bookings so you can plan your trip in advance.
The airport is located around 5 km towards Pudukottai at Chembattu.
Since 2008, Tiruchirappalli has become a convenient low-cost entry point to India from South-East Asia, as Air Asia started flights from Kuala Lumpur via Singapore. Tickets booked in advance cost around ₹3,000 (US$60, for a 4 hr flight), but can be well below ₹2,000 during frequent sales. This is quite a good option even if you fly from Thailand to South India. Singapore based Low Cost Carrier (LCC) Tiger Airways provides a service from Singapore daily. Air India Express (a LCC subsidiary of Air India) flies to and from Dubai, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore daily and Abu Dhabi weekly twice. Air India Express also operates a daily domestic service to Chennai and weekly service to Mumbai. Sri Lankan Airlines gives connection to rest of the world through Colombo as transit point. Trichy is also connected to Colombo by Mihin Lanka. Domestic carriers Jet Airways and Spicejet provide services to Chennai. Jet Airways serves to Chennai and other its International Destinations with transfer at Chennai and/or Mumbai.
Trichy Railway Station is well connected to all cities and most of the major towns in India. Located at the middle of Tamil Nadu makes it one of the busiest railway stations in Tamil Nadu. It is one of the major junctions which has trains to Trivandrum, Chennai, Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Mysore, Kochin, Madurai, Coimbatore, Tirunelveli, Howrah and other parts of India. Rail tickets can be booked online via Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation website - www.irctc.co.in .
Tamil is the language spoken in Trichy. The accent of Tamil spoken here is neutral (unlike the cities of Chennai, Madurai, Coimbatore and Tirunelveli, which have their own characteristic and heavy accents).
English is understood by most of those in the city.
The headquarters of Dakshina Bharat Hindi Prachar Sabha located at Trichy has contributed a lot towards growing the Hindi language.
Trichy district is famous for many ancient and popular temples and religious institutions. The bus network of Trichy is very developed and most of the city readily accessible by bus at reasonable prices.
- Jambukeshwara Temple (7 km from Trichy Junction and less than 1 km from Sri Ranganathaswamy temple). Famous Shiva temple and One of the five Pancha bootha kshetras (five elements namely water, earth, air, fire and ether). This one is appu sthala (representing water). free entrance.
- Perumal Malai, Thuraiur. Another Temple for Lord Vishnu.
- The Rockfort Temple (5 km at the North of Trichy junction. The temple can be reached from Central Bus stand or Trichy Junction with bus #1 for ₹3). 6- 8PM. The temple complex has many temples. Thayumaanavar, Uchchi pillayar and Maanikka vinayagar are the most important temples. One can feel the icy chill of the wind when getting to the top of the rock. (The temple is housed on the top of a famous rock). One also gets a splendid view of the city and the Cauvery river from the top. Enjoy the bird's eye view of Trichy, SriRangam, Cauvery and its surroundings in the morning or in the evening. A must-visit place of anyone in South India. ₹3 for entrance, ₹20 for camera. ₹100 for video camera.
- Samayapuram Amman Temple (Samayapuram Mariamman Temple) (13 km from Trichy Junction). People walk in from the surrounding districts to offer their prayers. Popular with the masses. Can be crowded on Fridays.
- Sri Ranganathaswamy temple (8 km from Trichy Junction. The temple can be reached from Central or City Bus stand by bus #1 for ₹4). This temple has the sleeping form of Lord Vishnu. It has 21 gopurams and the biggest of them is 73 m high. The temple complex area is 2.5 sq.km. Non-Hindus can only go up to the sixth wall but not inside the gold topped sanctum sanctorum. Free entrance, ₹10 for roof access.
- T.E.L.C Holy Trinity Cathedral, Melapudur..
- Thablay Aalam Baadsha Dhargah. The mausoleum of a Muslim saint who came to Trichy centuries ago.
- Thiruvellarai (20 km from Trichy or 40 min of travel from Chatram bus stand in government/private bus). Sendamarai kannan temple which was built before Srirangam Renganadhaswami temple and Thiruvanaikovil Jambukeshwara temple.
- Vayalur Murugan Temple. It is one of the six Hindu temples dedicated to Lord Muruga
- Woriyur with Vekkaliamman Temple (5 km from Trichy Junction'). Popular with the masses. Can be crowded on Fridays.
Apart from temples, there are also some destinations, ideal for picnics, day trips or just looking around.
- Kallanai. 2,000 yr old dam built on the Kallanai river, (an offshoot of the Cauvery river) by Karikala Cholan.
- Puliyancholai (on the Kallanai river). A green hideout around a pretty waterfall. On the Foot hills of Kollimalai - Kolli hills near Thuraiur.
- SriRangam. It is bounded by the Kaveri River, an island and a part of the city of Tiruchirapalli - important industrial and educational hub of central Tamil Nadu
- Thillai Nagar. busy commercial and residential district.
- Tiruchirappalli Cantonment (located near the city). a residential that originated as a cantonment of the Madras Regiment in the 18th century. Most of the hotels and restaurants Tiruchirappalli Junction, and the main tourist office, and post office of Tiruchirappalli are located here.
Significant industrial landmarks
- GoldenRock. The factories of the Golden Rock Locomotive Workshops and the residential quarters of its employees are located here.
- Happ. The Heavy Alloy Penetrator Project or HAPP is an Indian defense establishment operated by the Ordnance Factories Board.
- OFT, Ordnance Factory Tiruchirappalli (OFT) also called Ordnance Factory Trichy is a defense company based in Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu. It is one of the 41 Indian Ordnance Factories functioning under the Ordnance Factories Board of the Ministry of Defence, Government of India..
- Chinna Kadai Street, The main shopping centere is the "Chinna Kadai" street that runs along the "teppakulum" (temple tank) of the Uchchi Pillaiyar Rock temple. The street is packed with apparel, jewellery and household merchandise stores interpersed with restaurants and snack bars.
- The most popular stores for apparel shopping are
- Saradhaas - very old store famous for silk saris and biggest store. Cheap and best quality
- Krishna Readymade Hall - cramped shop with good selection of readymade salwars and western wear
- Lakshmi Silks - further down the street beyond the Uchchi pillaiyar temple, good collection of wedding saris
- The Chennai Silks - variety of modern styles
- Ahmed Bros - variety of modern styles
- Traditional jewellery can be found in
- Mangal and Mangal-Good collection of jewellery.
- Gopaldas - good quality, traditional designs
- Shree Lakshmi Kreations -Good source of Natural Diamonds and Diamond jewellery, Traditional Jewellery and coloured gemstones.They also manufacture jewellery according to your design.(http://slkreations.com)
- Thillainagar This is a well developed area where we can shop for the branded items
- Manghalam Towers A Popular mall spread over 60,000² ft at the heart of Trichy. "Reliance Hypermart" occupies 2 floors, has products ranging from groceries, household utensils, apparels, furniture, electronics, luggage, foot wears and so on. The mall has "Vijay Food Court" having various food brands including Tandoor Xpress, Noodle King, ifruit and Baskin Robbins
- Femina Shopping Mall Hypermart in the centre of the city. Over 40,000² ft of shopping space, with all products from jewellery to chocolates, clothes, high end sarees and garments, a food court and children"s arcade, most products are imported from various parts of the world. catering to clients of all different classes, the moto here is to make sure everyone enjoys shopping as an experience to actually shop, so that they walk out knowing for certain they have got a good deal, this is made possible by our dedicated purchasing team who go all out to shelf products that are new, attractive and of the highest quality yet affordable.
There are some very popular schools with high educational standards in the area, including The Higher Secondary School for Boys (Srirangam),Campion, St. Joseph's Anglo Indian Girls Higher Secondary School, Holy Cross Girls Higher Secondary School, St. John's Vestry, Sri Akilandeshwari Vidhyalaya, Mahatma Gandhi, RSK, Montfort School and Kamakoti Vidhyala, Sacred Heart Higher Secondary School Ponmalaipatti.
There are several colleges in Tiruchy including Mookambigai College of Engineering, JJ College of Engineering and Technology, approximately 20 km from the central bus stand, St.Joseph's, Jamal Mohamed College, Bishop Heber's College, National College, Holy Cross College, SRC, IGC, EVR and the Law College of Trichy.
The National Institute of Technology & the Bharathidasan Institute of Management are located near Tiruverumbur, 14 km from Trichy.
BharathiDasan University is 2 km from Trichy towards Pudukkottai Road.
Dakshina bharat Hindi prachar sabha located near Tennur High road,Trichy is a portal for those who are eager to learn Hindi.
- Andavar Sweets, Chathiram Bus Stand, Trichy..
- Big chick, Fort Station Road, Thillainagar (near Odysee).
- Chick punch, Spencers hyper mart food court (near Railway junction).
- Cappuccino, St Joseph College shopping complex, Chatram bus stand. The coffee shop
- Hotel Aananth, Trichy-Tanjore highway near Thiruverumbur (First Floor). Newly opened veg & non-vegetarian restaurant, serves high class food with great taste.
- Ice Blue Restaurant, Trichy-Tanjore highway near Thiruverumbur (opposite VKN building). Newly opened non-vegetarian restaurant, serves high class chettinad food with great taste.
- Khurunji, Hotel Guru (opposite Central Bus Stand). Pure vegetarian restaurant. Good quality food and fast service. All items are made fresh. Lunch meals priced at ₹45 are available from 1PM-4PM. A typical meal for two can cost about ₹70-₹100. A/C dining room for an extra ₹5 per person.
- Marrybrown, Williams Rd (near central bus stand, Cantonment).
- Sangeetha, Racquet Court Ln. Vegetarian restaurant of the Hotel Aanand
- Sri Saraswathi Cafe, # 27,Rockins Rd (opposite Railway Junction), ☎ +91 431 241 2333. Established 1964, traditional South Indian food with prompt service from 5:30AM-11:30AM. then lunch from 11:45AM-3:30PM. Evening snacks and meals up to 10:45PM. A/C dining service available at minimal extra cost. Home delivery and outdoor catering available.
- Banana Leaf. Non-vegetarian restaurant.
- Buhari. Non-vegetarian restaurant.
- Breeze. Non-vegetarian restaurant.
- Domino's Pizza, Tillai Nagar (near Reliance).
- Hotel Femina, Williams Rd (near Central bus stand.), ☎ +91 431 241 4501. Restaurant inside the hotel of the same name.
- Kannapa Chettinad restaurant, Mannarpuram, Tillainagar. Non-vegetarian restaurant. Here you get high class chettinad food with a traditional taste.
- Kulathur Briyani hotel (a little away from city on Dindugal Rd'). Non-vegetarian restaurant. Famous for Sunday afternoon briyanies with good taste.
- Sangeetha, Racquet Court Ln. Vegetarian restaurant of the Hotel Aanand.
- Seakings Ice Creams, 6 RR Sabha Buildings, W.B. Rd (near Chennai Silks), ☎ +91 431 270 0731. 10AM-9:30PM. A 33 year old ice cream parlour with a wide range of in-house ice cream sundaes to choose from. Includes signature dishes like Triple Treat and Falooda.
- Sree Krishnas, Rockin St (in front of Central bus stand.). A nice vegetarian restaurant which offers Indian and Chinese food. The morning, a continental breakfast is available. Meals at ₹40.
- Thanco's Fresh Fruitsz Ice-cream, Yummy Naturals, No.5,Parasakthi Complex, 2nd Cross, Thillainagar Main Rd, ☎ +91 431 4200750. 11AM-10PM. First ever fresh fruit icecream in Trichy, provided without artificial flavours, preservatives or chemicals. Wide variety of unique flavours like tender coconut, guava, sitaphal and chikoo.
- Vijay food court, Manghalam towers, Cantonment (above Reliance Mart, near Iyyapan temple). Baskin Robins, Noodle King, Tandoor Express, Adayar shree bhavan, El bustan, Royal feast, Chennai Fried Chicken, Pizza Corner, Vijay Cinemas.
- Grand Gardenia, 22-25, Mannarpuram Junction, ☎ +91 431 404 5000, e-mail: email@example.com. 11:30AM-3PM, 7PM-10:30PM, 'tea times' are separate. Multicuisine restaurant
- Birmanda Sarbat Stall, Palakarai Main Rd (4 km from Central Bus Stand, bus#1 will take you there for ₹2). Serves sarbat, an ayurvedic nanari juice. In the city for more than 3 decades.
- Hotel Anand, Racquet Court Ln, ☎ +91 431 2415545. From ₹500.
- Hotel Arun, State Bank Rd, ☎ +91 431 241 5021. A/C and non-A/C rooms. From ₹400.
- Hotel Meega, 3 Rockins Rd (opposite Central Bus Stand), ☎ +91 431 241 4092. Check-in: 24 hr. Clean hotel with TV in every room. No hot water is available. ₹650 for A/C rooms.
- Mayavaram Lodge, Near Teppakulam. Decent hotel.
- Sri Saraswathi Lodge, # 27, Rockins Rd (opposite Railway Junction), ☎ +91 431 400 2000. Check-in: 24 hr. Newly renovated, cable TV in all rooms, running cold and hot water. Travel desk assistance and hygienic veg restaurant at the ground floor. From ₹240 for regular Rooms and ₹700 for A/C rooms.
- Femina Hotel, Williams Rd, ☎ +91 431 241 4501.
- Grand Gardenia, 22-25, Mannarpuram Junction, ☎ +91 431 404 5000. Check-in: 24 hr, check-out: 24 hr. US$75.
- Jenny's Residency, McDonald's Rd, ☎ +91 431 246 1301.
- Breeze residency, McDonald's Rd, ☎ +91 431 241 4414, fax: +91 431 246 1451, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. From ₹2,300.
- Hotel Sangam Trichy, Hotel Sangam, Collectors Office Road, 620001, ☎ +91 452-4244526. Sangam Hotel is a well-known hotel in Trichy (Tiruchirapalli)
- Sahaja yoga Meditation, ER Matriculation School (near Chatram Bus Stand), Trichy on every Sunday 6PM.
- CSI Mission Hospital, Woriur
- TMC - Tiruverumbur Medical Centre, is located at Tiruverumbur nearly 10 km from Tiruchirappalli
- Jayakondam — 120 km, important historical place
- Kulithalai — on your way to Kulithalai, you can enjoy the road journey virtually on the banks of Cauvery, unforgettable experience
- Karur — 80 km, industrial town for handlooms and woven fabrics and you can find few temples
- Madurai — one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in India
- Pudukkottai — 45 km from Trichy; near Sithannavasal, famous for its carvings & paintings dated back centuries
- Thanjavur — another Historical city away from 60 km, Important tourist centre in South India, famous for its Brihadeeshwara Temple (Big Temple), Don't miss it. There are many interesting places and temples in and around Thanjavur