Tonawanda is the name of both a city in the Northtowns of Erie County, New York, and the unincorporated suburban township that surrounds it. The incorporated village of Kenmore also makes up part of the Town of Tonawanda. All three of these places are covered in this article.
- Canal Fest. Held on the third full week of July in the twin cities of Tonawanda and North Tonawanda a short distance north of Buffalo, Canal Fest is the largest annual festival held along the banks of this historic waterway. The live music performances the festival holds yearly at Gateway Harbor are legendary; additionally, the eight-day run of Canal Fest 2011 boasted a parade, a boat-building competition, a sack race and other activities for kids, boat races along the canal, and a fireworks finale.
- Balkan Dining, 687 Kenmore, ☎ +1 716-834-0462. 10:30am-8:30 pm Tue-Sun. New to the Buffalo scene, but adding to the diverse ethnic dining options is Balkan Dining. A smaller space on Kenmore, offering cevapi or pita served in Balkan traditional ways. This family owned place makes all their own food, including desserts, and they focus on giving you a taste of their home country. They are happy to talk to you about the menu items and give the history. low.
- Buffalo Roadhouse Grill, 1980 Niagara Falls Blvd, ☎ +1 716 692-7999. Daily 11AM-11PM (bar open later). After Roadhouse Grill, the regional chain of steakhouses, went bankrupt in 2008, employees of the Tonawanda location decided to purchase the restaurant and re-open it in the chain's spirit. In doing so, they also added a bit of Buffalo, both to the name and to the menu (incorporating beef on weck and Buffalo wings).
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:|
| Budget || Under $100/night|
| Mid-range || $100-$150/night|
| Splurge || Over $150/night|
- Center Way Hotel (Formerly Microtel Inn Tonawanda-Buffalo), 225 Crestmount Ave., Tonawanda (I-290 exit 1 or 1B), ☎ +1 716 283-3899. Fax/copy service, free continental breakfast.
- Scottish Inn Kenmore, 1346 Sheridan Dr., Tonawanda, ☎ +1 716 876-4489. Newly renovated. All rooms have microwave, and cable TV with over 60 channels including HBO. Coffee makers and irons/ironing boards available on request.