- Tokyo - the capital city and its 23 special wards
The following are all suburban cities outside the city core, which are collectively known as the Tama Region (多摩地方 Tama-chihō) in Japanese.
- Chofu — home to Jindaiji Temple and the Jindai Botanical Gardens
- Fuchu — Many shrines, temples, historical sites, and relics. Ōkunitama shrine, Tama. river, Mt. Sengen, Tokyo horse race course, Suntory Brewery's Musashino plant, Wholesale market, Fuchu city museum park.
- Hachioji — offering Mt. Takao, one of best little escapes from Tokyo
- Koganei — Koganei Park, Edo-Tokyo Open Air Architectural Museum
- Machida — a bustling youthful shopping town
- Mitaka — home of famed animator Hayao Miyazaki's "Mitaka Ghibli Forest Museum"
- Musashino — including Kichijoji, an arty suburb known for the cherry blossoms of Inokashira Park
- Okutama — a picturesque mountain town at the western end of the prefecture
- Tama — the self-proclaimed "Home of Hello Kitty" and her theme park, Sanrio Puroland
Tokyo prefecture also includes a large number of small islands, some over 1,000 km from the mainland.
- Izu Islands - a quick getaway from Tokyo, featuring volcanic hot springs and wild dolphins
- Ogasawara Islands - if you really want to get away from it all (and have time to spare)
- JR Chuo Line from Shinjuku or Tokyo to most places in the Tama region including: Kichijoji, Kokubunji, Tachikawa, Hachioji, and Okutama.
- Private Keio line to Southern Tama region to: Chofu, Fuchu, Tama zoo park, Hachioji, and Mt.Takao.
- All Nippon Airways (ANA). Daily flights from Haneda Airport to Oshima (35 min ¥13,170), Miyakejima (45 min ¥13,170) and Hachijojima (50 min ¥19,870).
- New Central AirService. Three flights a day from Chofu Airport to Oshima (35 min ¥9500) , Kozushima (45 min ¥15,870), four flights a day to Niijima (40 min ¥13,700). To get Chofu Airport, take the Keio line Local Service from Shinjuku to Nishi-Chofu.
- Tokyo - Yokohama - Oshima - Toshima - Niijima - Shikinejima - Kozushima
- Tokyo - Yokohama - Miyakejima - Mikurashima - Hachijojima
- Atami - Oshima - Toshima - Niijima - Shikinejima - Kozushima
The Michelin Guide gave more stars to Tokyo dining establishments than any other city in Japan.