Tipaza is in Northwest Algeria.
First a Punic trade post, the Romans expanded it into a military colony named Tipasa. The colony was destroyed by the Vandals in the 5th century and Arabs in the 8th, and the modern city of Tipaza was established there in 1857. Today the city of 25,000 inhabitants is one of Algeria's most popular tourist destinations thanks to its ruins.
Tipaza is about 50 km west of the capital Algiers.
- Roman ruins. The Romain ruins of Tipasa are on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
- Tipaza Longwave mast. The second highest structure in Algeria, transmitting broadcasts to northern Africa and southwestern Europe.
- Hotel Club La Corne d'Or. Built as a tourist village in the 1970's, the complex is a "modernist interpretation of the Mozabite vernacular architecture of Algeria". The hotel is apparently run-down and has received awful reviews on travel forums, so it is probably better to regard it as a sight rather than accommodation.
- Tipaza Archaeological museum (in Cherchell, 15 km west). Displaying artefacts found in the region.