Tierp [ˈtiːærp] is a town in northern Uppsala County in Sweden with approximately 5,500 inhabitants, being the largest settlement between Uppsala and Gävle. Despite being a rather small town, Tierp practically serves as the center for the entire Tierp Municipality with approximately 20,000 people, explaining a relatively large amount of restaurants and stores. The shoreline to Baltic Sea is part of Roslagen.
- Tierp itself
Tierp is connected to Uppsala and Gävle by commuter train "Upptåget", as well as by trains of the countrywide SJ company. The highway E4 passes just west of Tierp. As a result, travellers who are going north from Uppsala or Stockholm or vice versa by train or road are almost certainly passing through Tierp anyway.
Buses to Söderfors take about 20 minutes.
- Tierps hembygdsförening, an area with several houses and structures built in traditional wooden style. Located 360 meters northwest from the train station along the railway, just beyond the local water tower.
- Tierps järnbruk, ironworks that have made Tierp known throughout the country by producing manhole cover with "Tierp" imprinted on them. Located another 150 meters beyond Tierps hembygdsförening.
- Söderfors bruk.
- Walk to Gillberga runestone. For those who have some spare time, feel like walking and have interest in runestones, there's a 2 km walk to Gillberga runestone (and another 2 km back). The route is northeast from the train station through areas of residential homes until reaching the limits of the locality. There's a wooden walkway and bridge over the marsh and river, respectively. The Gillberga runestone is located by the road beyond the first farm after the bridge.
- Sahlins Struts is something as unlikely in Sweden as an ostrich farm, with a restaurant and store specialising in ostrich products.
- Benny's grill, typical small-town fast food place. Located 190 meters southeast from the train station along the railroad.
- Dragon Restaurang, serving Chinese buffet in a huge hall for a bit more than 100 SEK per person. Located southeast from the train station along the railroad, another 200 meters beyond Benny's grill.
TP is a bar and restaurant located just across the railroad from Benny's grill.
- Nya Gästgivaregården. In a 19th century building. Prices range from a single bed in room of four for 300 SEK per person, to a single room for 860 SEK per person.
- Söderfors Herrgård.
|Routes through Tierp|
|Tornio ← Älvkarleby ←||N S||→ Uppsala → Helsingborg|