Thodupuzha is a gateway town to the Idukki District, in Kerala, India. Even though Painavu is the official capital of Idukki district, Thodupuzha is the de facto capital of the district because Painavu refused to grow from its sleepy village status. The photo seen above is a view of Thodupuzha river
Thodupuzha is the fastest growing city in the Central Kerala. The rapid development of Thodupuzha over the last 20 years is remarkable, when it was a small village junction with 2,3 Buses in the old bus stand waiting for passengers. It now doubles as a taxi-stand.The town was concentrated in the old pvt bus stand area. The present bus stand ia a large one, capable of housing at least 60 buses.
Situated on the Thodupuzha-Pala Road, it is also accessible from the KSRTC bus stand.
Its 56 km away from Kochi. Well connected by roads to Kochi International Airport. KSRTC(Kerala State Road Transport Corporation) buses ply from Ernakulam. The journey takes approximately 1-1/2 hours via Muvattupuzha.
- Thodupuzha-Pala Road ( approx. 26 km) via Karimkunnam, Kurinji, Antheenad, Choondacherry, Pizhag. KSRTC buses on the Thodupuzha-Kottayam sector ply every 30 minutes; private buses, every 10 minutes.
- Thodupuzha-Koothattukulam Road ( approx. 19 km) via kolani, parakadavu, nediyasala, vazhithala, marika, palakuzha.koothattukulam. KSRTC buses on the Thodupuzha-vaikom sector ply every 30 minutes; private buses.
- Thodupuzha-Idukki Road ( approx. 60 km) via Mrala, Muttom, Moolamattom. KSRTC buses on the Thodupuzha-Idukki/Kattapana/Thopramkudi/Nedumkandom sector ply every 1 hour ; private buses, every 30 minutes.
- Thodupuzha-Eratupetta Road ( approx. 35 km) via Mrala, Muttom, Challav, Melukavumattom, Melukav, Edamarak & Kalathookadav . Private buses on the Thodupuzha- Eratupetta / Kanjirapally/ Erumely/ Pathanamthitta/ Ranni sector ply every 30 minutes from the Private bus stand.
- Thodupuzha-Kaliyar Road ( approx. 20 km) via Muthalakudom, Kunnam, Vandamattom, East Kodikulam, Kaliyar. Private buses on the Thodupuzha- Kaliyar / Vannapuram sector ply every 30 minutes from the Private bus stand.
- Thodupuzha-Vannapuram Road ( approx. 20 km) via Muthalakudom, Kunnam, West Kodikulam, Padikkapadam, Thenathoor, Njarakad, Vannapuram. Private buses on the Thodupuzha- Thenathoor / Vannapuram sector ply every 30 minutes from the Private bus stand.
- Thodupuzha-Neelur Road ( approx. 25 km) via Mrala, Muttom, Challav, Thudanganad ( Thodanganad) , Neelur. Private buses on the Thodupuzha- Neelur / Karimkunnam sector ply every 1 hour from the Private bus stand.
- Thodupuzha-Adimali Road ( approx. 75 km) via Manakad, Kumarangalam, Kaloor, Ipe Memorial School, Paingotoor, Pareekanni, Antheenatt Kavala, Oonukal, Neriamangalam, Adimali. Private buses on the Thodupuzha- Oonukal / Adimali sectors ply every 1 hour from the Private bus stand.
- Thodupuzha-Kaloorkad Road ( approx. 20 km) via Paara, Painkulam, Kaloorkad. Private buses on the Thodupuzha- Kaloorkad sectors ply every 30 minutes from the Private bus stand.
- Thodupuzha-Muvatupuzha Road ( approx. 20 km) via Vazhakulam. KSRTC buses and private buses on the Thodupuzha- Trichur/ Ernakulam/ Muvatupuzha sectors ply every 10 minutes from the KSRTC Stand / Private bus stand.
- Thodupuzha-Karimannoor Road ( approx. 11 km) via Muthalakudom, Kunnam, Karimanoor. Private buses on the Thodupuzha- Karimannoor / Cheenikuzhi sector ply every 10 minutes from the Private bus stand, every 10 minutes.
- Thodupuzha-Vannapuram Road – Via Thomanjuth - ( approx. 25 km) via Muthalakudom, Kunnam, Karimanoor, Thomankuth, Vannapuram. Private buses on the Thodupuzha- Vannapuram sector ply every 1 hour from the Private bus stand.
- thodupuzha-poomala(approx 20 km)-via kummamkallu,idavetty,aalakkodu,kalayanthani,ilamdesham,karukappalli kavala,pannimattom,inchakkattu kavala,saamikkavala,poomala..it ll take arnd 1 hr..n' der r private buses from thodupuzha in each half an hour
- Thodupuzha-east kaloor road -12 k
Thodupuzha-Ramamangalam Road (Approx 25km)
- Make sure you visit the Thommankuthu waterfalls, about 20 km from Thodupuzha - never miss this!
- Don't miss the "Uravapara" (which is a temple upside a rock mountain)
- Also don't miss Malamkara Dam which is so nice. 8 km from Thodupuzha - Idukki route
- Ilaveezhapunchira - hill top, very scenic , 25 kms from Thodupuzha(20kms by car, 5kms by walk or jeep) - Idukki route - never miss this!
- Hanging bridges - many on the way to Moolamattam
- Naadukaani - view - 25kms from Thodupuzha - Idukki road
- Famous Dams - Idukki road
- KURUVAKKAYAM waterfalls -18 km IN POOMALA ROUTE GET A POOMALA BUS FROM THODUPUZHA..
- NJANDIRUKKI waterfalls-19 km IN POOMALA ROUTE..GET A POOMALA BUS FROM THODUPUZHA..
- kizharukuthu waterfall -20km IN KARIMANNOOR rute get a karimannoor bus from thodupuzha
- Idukki Wildlife Sanctuary
- Keezharkuthu, Kulamavu, Malankara Reservoir
- Nadukani, Painavu, Palkulamedu
- Thommankuthu, Thumpachi Calveri Samuchayam
- Vagamon-about 60km from Thodupuzha is a beautiful hill station
- Illaveezhapunjira, District Agricultural Farm Arikuzha
- Amaravkavu, Kolani (From thodupuzha to pala route. from there way to manakkad). A devi temple with in the forest
- Peripheral Villages. ,Manakkadu,Perumpillichira,Kumaramangalam, Muthalakudom, Thekkumbhagom, West Kodikulam, East Kodikulam, Parapuzha, Padikkapadam, Thennathoor, Koduveli, Vannapuram, Pannimattom, Mrala, Muttom, Purapuzha, Kolani, Karinkunnam, Vandamattom, Olamattom and Udumbannore.
There are numerous restaurants in Thodupuzha offering tasty meat and fish preparations.
There is a good toddy shop known as Mundekkallu shap near the town in Manakkad road, there you will get tasty food and pure kallu.
- Hotel Maurya Monarch,right in the town, close to the Civil Station and the main river bridge. ( Moderately priced )
- Hotel Cicilia ( 1/2 km from the town, Board & Lodge for the upscale and choosy traveller ), close to the KSRTC Bus-Stand, on the Thodupuzha-Muttom Road.