Tepelene is in Southeastern Albania. This district has two cities: Tepelene and Memaliaj, and a lot of villages. This district includes "Kurvelesh", a region famous for its bravery and polyphonic characteristic songs. This region has 15 villages, which are: Gusmari, Vërmiku, Nivica, Rexhini, Progonati, Lekdushi, Golemi, Kaparieli, Picari, Kolonja, Kuç, Bolenë, Kallarat, Fterrë and Çorraj.
From Tirana, you can get to Tepelene following the itinerary Tirana-Durres-Rrogozhine-Lushnje-Fier-Levan-Tepelene (3h-3h30min). The roadway is new and has good quality. From Greece, you can go through Kakavije-Gjirokaster-Tepelene (1h-1h20min). From Kosovo, you follow: Morine-Kalimash-Rreshen-Milot-Fushe Kruje-Durres-Rrogozhine-Lushnje- (from Milot, around 5h-6h) From Macedonia, you follow Qafe Thane-Librazhd-Elbasan-Rrogozhine-Lushnje-Fier-Tepelene (3h-3h30min from Qafe Thane). From Montenegro, you can follow Muriqan-Shkodra-Lezhe-Fushe Kruje-Milot-Durres-Lushnje-Fier-Levan-Tepelene (around 5h-5h30min from Muriqan).
You can come also through Rinas Airport (in Tirana) If you come with a plane, you can (i) rent a car (this is the most preferred and the prices are lower than in other parts of Europe);
Take the bus in Tirana at the crossroad between Kavaja Street with Unaza e Re. It costs around 700 leks, or €5. Ask the driver to leave you in Tepelene. With a taxi: Find a taxi with a good car in Tirana, and ask the driver if he speaks a foreign language. If you can't find a driver that speaks a language you know, kindly someone that is walking near you at that moment to translate (find a young boy or girl, as they speak foreign languages better). Through your translator, tell the taxier to send you to Tepelene, and negotiate the price beforehand.
Take the boat to Vlora or Durres, then go to Tepelene (through Vlore-Kuc-Tepelene or Durres-Rrogozhine-Lushnje-Fier-Levan-Tepelene)
There are a lot of things to be seen in Tepelene.
Walk around Kurveleshi. Ask for a guesthouse to the local tourist information office and enjoy the well-known hospitality.
- Peshtura waterfall (Ujëvara e Peshturës), in Progonat (SW 13 km).
- Uji waterfall (Uji i Ftohte), E-853 road (SE 8 km).
- Doshnica waterfall (Ujëvara e Doshnicës)
- Cave of Lek Peta, Progonat Village (SW 12 km).
- Dragoti Cave.
- Water's Mom Cave.
- Zemren e Shendelis.
- Lekdushi Springs.
- Nivia Canyons.
- Këlcyrë Gorge (Albanian: Gryka e Këlcyrës) (E 25 km). This is also breathtaking and memorable place, created by the river Vjosë. Visit the Ortodox Monastery (Manastiri Ortodoks Gryka e Këlcyrës).
- Hole of Feuds (Pusi i Hasmerive). One of the most interesting things to visit in this region. The legend says that in ancient times, the people killed for "feuds" (see Blood Feud in Albania) were buried there.
Don't forget to enjoy the traditional food.
There are a few hotels and guesthouses in Tepelene.