Tehachapi is unusually windy. One of the largest Wind Farms in the United States is located here.
|Daily highs (°F)||53||54||57||62||72||80||87||87||81||70||58||51|
|Nightly lows (°F)||32||33||36||38||46||53||58||56||51||45||37||32|
Data from NOAA (1981-2010)
- Bakersfield Yellow Cab +1 661 374-2227
- Rosamond Yellow Cab +1 661 256-2227
- Southland Yellow Cab +1 661 723-2227
- Tehachapi Yellow Cab +1 661 771-2227
- BeeKay Theatre.
Hiking. There are lots of excellent trails and parks for outdoor activities. The Pacific Crest Trail passes through Tehachapi along highway 58.
- Tehachapi Mountain Park. Great park on the base of Tehachapi mountain, the highest mountain in nearby range. A 3-mile trail will take you to the summit, almost 8,000 ft altitude.
- Petra. Mediterranean food
- Kohnen's. German bakery
- City Slickers Restaurant & Saloon, 1001 West Tehachapi Blvd, ☎ +1 661 822-4939. M–Th 11AM–11PM, F Sa 11AM–midnight, Su 10AM–11PM. One of the best bars in the area. Has decent food, karaoke on Thursday nights, and other specials all week long.
- Stallion Springs Resort, 28681 Stallion Springs Dr, toll-free: +1-888-828-6745. An out-of-the-city, out-of-the-ordinary, quiet, friendly timeshare environment offering one and two bedroom luxury cottages with swimming and seasonal tennis and golf nearby.
- Fairfield Inn & Suites, by Marriott, 422 W Tehachapi Blvd, ☎ +1 661 822-4800, fax: +1 661 822-5269.
- Best Western Country Park Hotel, 420 W Tehachapi Blvd, ☎ +1 661 823-1800, fax: +1 661 823-1600.
- Best Western Mountain Inn, 418 W Tehachapi Blvd, ☎ +1 661 822-5591, fax: +1 661 822-6197.
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, 901 Capital Hills Pkwy & Hwy 58, ☎ +1 661 822-9837.
- Tehachapi Loop, Woodford-Tehachapi Rd, 5.5 miles west of Tehachapi. The Tehachapi Loop is a favorite of railroad fans around the world. It is one of the few places where a train can be seen passing over itself. The loop is an engineering feat that lowered the grade required for the railroad to climb over the pass between the High Desert from the Central Valley. A number of historical markers can be found overlooking the loop.
- Bakersfield - Nicknamed "the country music capital of the West Coast", Bakersfield is the largest city in the southern San Joaquin Valley and is thus the best option for those seeking lodging, transportation, or other services.
- Keene - Located west on Highway 58, the tiny town of Keene is home to the National Chavez Center, burial site of the famous organizer, and located on the 187 acres where he spent his final years.
- Mojave - East of Tehachapi on Highway 58, Mojave is a hotbed of aerospace activity, with the Mojave Spaceport the headquarters of Scaled Composites, the first private company to launch a human into space. Edwards Air Force base, a landing site for the space shuttle and a center for the development of experimental aircraft, is located adjacent to the town.
|Routes through Tehachapi|
|Bakersfield ← Keene ←||W E||→ Mojave → Barstow|