- The village is just north of the A85 to Oban on the south shore of Glenetive.
- The village is served by the West Highland Railway between Glasgow and Oban and services are operated by Scotrail.
It is small and can be accessed by foot, car or bicycle. A single track road runs through the village.
The Bonawe Ironworks (not in use but very interesting remains.) The village lies at the foot of Ben Cruachan, 'the hollow mountain'.
- Go fishing at nearby inverawe smokeries,
- Take boat cruises up Loch Etive leaving from the pier in Taynuilt or enjoy a round on the picturesque 9 hole golf course.
Robin's Nest Tearoom in the village serves freshly prepared lunches and homebaked cakes. The scones are legendary in the local area and if visiting you must try one!
There are numerous B&Bs and one hotel in the village.
- Bonawe House Cottages, Lochandu Road, Taynuilt, PA35 1JQ, ☎ +44 1866 822309. self catered holiday houses
- Ben Duirinnis House, Bonawe, Oban. Period five bedroomed house on North shore of Loch Etive, about 1 mile direct, 17 miles by road from Taynuilt. Situated in eight acres of woodland, lawns and garden with shore path and slipway.