Nusa Dua is a peninsula in South Bali, well known as an enclave of high end hotels.
The place name Nusa Dua can be used in two ways: either it can refer to the entire eastern side of the Bukit Peninsula at the southern tip of Bali, or it can refer to the purpose-built, safe and rather sterile tourist enclave (Kawasan Pariwisata, quite literally Tourism District) at the southeast side of this peninsula.
This article covers everything in the Nusa Dua enclave plus the Tanjung Benoa peninsula and a few points west of the enclave to the village of Sawangan. Everything on the Bukit Peninsula to the west of Sawangan is covered by the Uluwatu article.
As well as a host of luxury hotels, Nusa Dua is home to the most popular golf course in Bali and the main convention centre on the island.
Nusa Dua understandably gets a lot of bad press amongst travelers as it is so artificial and sanitised. That does not change the fact though that the beaches here are glorious - white sand, deep, long and safe for swimming. The public beach at Geger is the best to head to if you are not staying at Nusa Dua. This is also home to one of the best museums in Bali. The fact that it is nearly always empty is testament that most visitors who stay here in the least Balinese part of the island are, not unsurprisingly, rather disinterested in learning much about Bali.
The Nusa Dua enclave has three manned gates and everyone entering is subject to a security search. This can have a slightly claustrophobic effect, and only contributes further to the impression that you are in an artificial location.
Nusa Dua is located 40 km south of Denpasar, the provincial capital of Bali. Access is easy from the Kuta area (20-30 minutes) and Jimbaran (15 minutes) on the main southern route called Jalan Bypass Ngurah Rai, which becomes Jalan Bypass Nusa Dua as it approaches the enclave.
The international airport is about 20 to 30 minutes by car and a pre-paid taxi fare from there will cost between Rp 95,000 and 110,000. If you are staying here, then your hotel will no doubt arrange to pick you up at the airport.
Public transport if far from regular in the area, but some bemos from Tegal terminal in Denpasar do ply the main bypass.
- Pantai Geger (Geger Beach). This is the public beach in Nusa Dua. This splendid white sand beach at the western edge of the enclave retains lots of the character that is missing in the sanitised Nusa Dua resort zone. Generally safe for swimming and some beach side warungs. The restaurant, beachbeds and massage ladys all work for the local cooperative. By suporting them you support the locals. Geger has a cooling breeze as it is one of the few beaches facing east and because ofv the reef far out from the beach it has some of the warmest water temperatures in Bali. Head westwards out of the Nusa Dua enclave passing the golf course and then the St Regis Hotel (on your left). Shortly after the St Regis, take the first turning left towards to the beach and proceed to the Pantai Geger car park.
- Pasifika Museum, Blok P, BTDC (near Bali Collection), ☎ +62 361 774935, e-mail: email@example.com. 10:00-18:00 daily. A truly under-appreciated and poorly known attraction. It is a splendid museum, and is highly recommended for anyone interested in the art of Bali, Southeast Asia and the South Pacific region. Look for the exhibitions focused on European artists who made Bali their home, as well as renowned local painters. The Indochinese exhibition is impressive, as are the displays of Polynesian artefacts.Featuring artworks of well known artists from around the world such us Paul Gauguin, Theo Meier, Le Mayeur, Rudolf Bonnet Hendrik Paulides and Emilio Ambron. Rp 70,000.
- Serangan Island (Turtle Island). Boats are available from Nusa Dua and Tanjung Benoa. These are usually glass-bottomed allowing observation of marine life from within the boat. As the name suggests, Serangan is a turtle conservation area. The local people keep turtle eggs in traditional conservation houses until they hatch and then the youngster are released from local beaches. Besides turtles, they also have reptiles, birds, snakes and bats. US$30.
Many companies in Nusa Dua offer water sports activities (banana boat, parasailing, jetski, diving, flying fish, etc.). You can book directly on the beach at Nusa Dua or Tanjung Benoa, or have your hotel organise for you. All the operators work together to ensure that there is very little (if any) price difference. Expect to pay about US$25-30 for most activities.
- Nusa Dua Golf and County Club, Kawasan Wisata, ☎ +62 361 771791, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tee times 06:00-16:00 daily. One of three top notch golf courses in Bali, and perhaps the most popular of them all due to its convenient location. Any hotel will be able to arrange a round for you - ask about packages on offer as these can save you a lot of money. Booking a tee time is very important on this very busy course.
Nusa Dua is home to many good quality spas. If you are staying at a luxury resort, then you will certainly have access to in-house spa and treatment facilities.
- Alam Alang Bali Spa, Jln Mahardika No10X, Mumbul, ☎ +62 361 771799, +62 361 7447453, fax: +62 361 771799. 11:00-21:00 daily. Facilities: Balinese creambath, stone massage, Balinese mandi lulur, Ayurvedic, facial, oil head massage.
- Spa Sekar Jagat, Jl Bypass, ☎ +62 361 770210. 09:00-22:00 daily. Authentic Balinese massage and spa treatments.
- Tamara Spa Bali, Jl Bypass Ngurah Rai, No 999A, Jimbaran, ☎ +62 361 9174533, e-mail: email@example.com. 09:00-17:00 daily. Body care salon offering body scrub, beauty treatments and various spa packages.
A large swathe of the Nusa Dua and Tanjung Benoa beachfront is connected via a nice walking path, and morning walks here are especially recommended. The footpath runs from just in front of the Ayodya Resort in the south for about 7 km north to the Grand Mirage on the Tanjung Benoa spit. This passes by two obvious spits, both of which host temples.
- Thalasso Bali Spa, Jl. Pratama 74, Tanjung Benoa, P.O.Box 43, ☎ +62361773883, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 09:00-22:00 Daily. In front of the beach, it offers wide range of Thalasso and spa treatments.
There are not too many quality restaurants in Nusa Dua outside of the luxury hotels. The main Jalan By Pass which connects Nusa Dua to Jimbaran, the airport and Kuta is the home of a large number of Japanese and other Asian restaurants aimed at tour groups. Generally, these are best avoided.
- Benoa Cafe, Jl Pratama No 71A, Tanjung Benoa, ☎ +62 361 8882720. 12:00-22:00 daily. Hungarian Restaurant. Reasonable prices and highly recommended. Call for free pick-up in the Nusa Dua and Tanjung Benoa area.
- Bumbu Bali, Jl Pratama, Tanjung Benoa, ☎ +62 361 774502. 12:00-23:00 daily. Bali’s first authentic Balinese five star restaurant, with food prepared and served it in a traditional manner.
- Nusa Dua Beach Grill, Geger Beach (just west of the Nusa Dua enclave reached via a small turning south off the main road to the Nikko Hotel). A great long-established dining option on a dreamy white sand beach. One of the few quality options to dine outside of hotels in the Nusa Dua area.
- Lotus Garden, at the entrance of Nusa Dua Resort, ☎ +62 361 773378. 08:00-23:00 daily. Link of a popular chain in Bali, Lombok and Singapore.
- Bawang Merah, Jl By Pass Ngurah Rai Nusa Dua, Mumbul, ☎ +62 361 7453540. 12:00-23:00 daily. Balinese speciality restaurant.
Nusa Dua does not have much of a nightlife. It is known more for its luxurious 5-star resorts where cocktails on the beach are the go.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:|
|Budget||Under US$ 25|
|Mid-range||US$ 25 to 125|
|Splurge||Over US$ 125|
There is little accommodation in Nusa Dua outside of the luxury price range although many of the large resorts do offer very substantial reductions in the low season; always check.
- Rasa Sayang Beach Inn, Jl Pratama, Tanjung Benoa, ☎ +62 361 771643, e-mail: email@example.com. A simple but well located hotel on the main Tanjung Benoa strip. From about Rp 200,000.
- Manuh Home Stay, Jalan Gunung Payung 10, Desa Kutuh (Turn right to Bukit Peninsula from Hardys Traffic light), ☎ +6285338491991, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Nice and tranquil close to Pandawa Beach. Wi-Fi and hot shower is included. IDR 150,000.
- Bali Tropic Resort and Spa, Jl Pratama 34a, ☎ +62 361 772130, e-mail: email@example.com. A 3/4 star beach front resort on the Tanjung Benoa strip. From Rp 950,000.
- Goodway Hotel, Jl Dalem Tarukan No 7, Taman Mumbul, ☎ +62 361 773808, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. The resort offers a spa, large swimming pool, karaoke, jacuzzi, beauty parlor, shops and fitness area. It also has a sunken bar in the swimming pool, a restaurant and bar. Is a five minute drive north of the Nusa Dua enclave. From US$ 75.
- Tjendana Villas Nusa Dua, Jl. Gedong Sari, Mumbul Hill, ☎ +62 8737382, e-mail: email@example.com. Each private villa has a terrace with a dining area and semi open kitchen overlooking the swimming pool. The villas offer complimentary in-villa breakfast. AC, Wi-Fi, flat-screen TV, DVD player and a safe are among the amenities, while the private bathrooms come with a bathtub, shower and free toiletries. Airport transfers and bicycle rental can be arranged by staff as well as access to spa and guidance with tours and activities. from $150.
There are many deluxe hotels in the area and more are constantly being constructed.
- Aman Nusa, ☎ +62 361 772333, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. A high class resort, and one of the best luxury hotels Bali. Relatively few visitors will want to spend the money required to stay here, but if you want to splurge on a meal at a super luxury resort, then you could do a lot worse. The restaurant serves excellent food and has fabulous views across to Nusa Penida. From US$750.
- Ayodya Resort Bali (formerly Bali Hilton). Set amongst lush tropical gardens with a large lagoon style pool and world class golf course. Offers a wide selection of restaurants and activities. About US$150.
- The Bale, Jl Raya Nusa Dua Selatan (on the western side of Nusa Dua), ☎ +62 361 775 111, e-mail: email@example.com. The Balé is a boutique five star hotel with 29 pavilions, each with their own private swimming pool and modern, fashionable interiors. The notably good restaurant is open to non-residents. From US$600.
- The Bali Khama, Jl Pratama, Tanjung Benoa, ☎ +62 361 774912. The Bali Khama is on the Tanjung Benoa spit. Several different room types from garden suites to self-contained villas. All rooms are air-conditioned, have a mini-bar, deck/balcony, hot water shower with bath, safe and high-speed internet access. From US$200.
- Conrad Bali, Jl Pratama 168, Tanjung Benoa, ☎ +62 36 177 8788, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. The best luxury hotel on the Tanjung Benoa spit. This is a huge property with 313 rooms and the largest swimming pool in Bali. All the facilities you would expect from a 5 star resort. Dining options here are highly rated. From about US$ 250.
- Grand Hyatt Bali, ☎ +62 361 77 1234, e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: noon, check-out: 3PM. This hotel was beginning to show its age but a recent refurbishment has returned it to top form. Has 6 swimming pools, a sports centre and a spa. From US$160.
- Heavenly Residence, Jl Gunung Payung, Sawangan, ☎ +62 361 7801166, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Waterfront private luxury 3 and 4 bedroom villas with 24-hour butler service. Five minutes' drive west of Nusa Dua set on a spectacular cliff-front. Good for people who want total privacy and have no budgetary constraints. From US$840.
- Kayumanis Nusa Dua Private Villa & Spa, BTDC Area, ☎ +62 361 770 777, e-mail: email@example.com. 20 contemporary villas with private pool, fully-equipped gourmet kitchen and 24-hours butler service.
- The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, ☎ +62 361 771327, fax: +62 361 771326, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Rooms and suites set in a tropical garden landscape. Direct beach access, vast swimming lagoons, spa and butler service. From US$350.
- Melia Bali, ☎ +62 361 771510, e-mail: email@example.com. Excellent spa facilities, watersport activities, newly equipped fitness centre, jogging track, table tennis, Balinese cabaret shows, shopping arcade and large lagoon style swimming pool. Also offers private villas with their own pool. From about US$150.
- Nikko Bali Resort, Jl Raya Nusa Dua Selatan, ☎ +62 361 773377, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Five-star resort about five minutes west from the main Nusa Dua enclave. Offers everything from jungle style lagoon pools with water slide, beautiful spa set among its gardens, camel rides and even a ropes course for children. Has its own private beach with beachside dining as well. Very popular with Japanese tour parties. From US$150.
- Novotel Nusa Dua, ☎ +62 361 8480555, e-mail: email@example.com. This apartment style hotel is surrounded by the Nusa Dua Golf Course. Includes a lagoon-style pool, beach club, kids club, spa and a restaurant. They take environmental considerations seriously, and are Green Globe certified. From US$106.
- Nusa Dua Beach Hotel, ☎ +62 361 771210, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Five-star resort which is a bit old and tired but still with good faciltiies. Several swimming pools, spa, kids club, cultural, recreational and water sport activities available. From US$140.
- Ocean Blue Hotel Bali, Jl Raya Kampial, ☎ +62 361 776700, e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Hotel set up as a wedding chapel and a spa about 5 minutes out of Nusa Dua proper
- Sekar Nusa Villas, Jl Raya Nusa Dua Selatan, Sawangan, ☎ +62 361 773333, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14.00, check-out: 12.00. Sekar Nusa is a low key luxury resort. All of the one and two bedroom villas are spacious, and are furnished with antique wood furniture. Suited to golfers and honeymooners and as a wedding venue. From US$225.
- Sunset Villa, Tanjung Benoa (Turn left at Bumbu Bali Two), ☎ +62 61299539065. An waterfront villa with private jetty and boat in a quiet setting only minutes from shops and hotels 575 USD.
- St Regis Bali Resort, ☎ +62 361 8478 111. Private villas and regular rooms available. A grand and stylish hotel. From US$475.
- Westin Resort, ☎ +62 361 771906, e-mail: email@example.com. A resort with a children's club equipped with Play Station, mini playground and musical instruments. The rooms are big, there is an in-house spa and good Japanese and western dining options. From US$150.
- Grand Mirage Resort and Thalasso Spa, Jl. Pratama 74 Tanjung Benoa, ☎ +62 361 771888, fax: +62361 772148, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. A five star beachfront Resort, offering stay packages and complete all inclusive. From US$135.
- Uluwatu - 20 minutes to one of Bali's most famous temples and surfing spots
- Jimbaran - fantastic seafood dinner on the beach and is only 15 minutes away