Previously a southern fort built in 1636 against inroads of the Wild Field tribes the city grew into the provincial center and a bread basket of Russia. The history of Tambov is intertwined with all major events of Russian history, traces of which are imprinted on the city's architectural face. Also Tambov is famous for its wolves. In the 19th century wolf was a slang word for a season worker from Tambov, a person of rude manners. Not being a touristy hot spot, the city has preserved many historical buildings in the center, some of them are related to Russian Classicism like the building of Post Office (1786) or houses in Art-Nouveau style like cinema Modern (1908).
Airport Tambov serves flights from Moscow and Sochi.
Trolleybus, bus, marshrutka, taxi.
Start walking along the River Tsna Promenade which is 2km-long and has two levels. You could see:
- The Palace of Aseyev, a 19th-century factory-owner.
- Kazansky Cathedral.
- Spaso-Preobrazhensky Cathedral.
- Monument to S. Rakhmaninov.
In the city center there are:
- Catholic Temple.
- Museum of regional studies.
- Museum of Wolf
- Museum of Sin
- Theater of Lunacharsky.
- Tambov Zoo.
- Musical Institute of Rakhmaninov.
- Tambov state university offers Russian language courses of three levels.
Formerly, this building was the Peasant Land Bank (1884).
Anything about the wolf, from souvenirs to vodka and sweets.
- Signor Pomidor, pizza-house at the House of Artist (Дом художника) bus stop.
- Derzhavinskaya (Державинская), 4 Lva Tolstogo sq. (The city center), ☎ +7 4752 48-35-00, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Business-center, restaurant, bar, cafe, 24h reception, ATM, safe, excursions, taxi. 1600(single room)-7600RUB(VIP room).
- Hotel Grand (Гранд), 4th floor, 176a Karla Marksa St, ☎ +7 4752 47-48-32, +7 4752 47-48-31, +7 4752 47-48-25, fax: +7 (4752) 47-48-25, e-mail: email@example.com. Sauna, cafe-bar, concert hall. 2200RUB(single room)- 5600RUB(VIP room).
Don't walk alone after dark in suburbs.
- Voroninsky Nature Reserve.
- Rakhmaninov museum-estate in Ivanovka village near Uvarovo. The road to the estate is 80km long and there is a hotel only in blueprint so far.