Agriculture and tourism are the main industries in Golden Bay, so the economy is fairly seasonal.
Just over the Takaka Hill, which is also known as the Marble Mountain (because that's what its made from). A stunning drive with roughly 250 bends and stunning views over both Tasman and Golden Bays. (Which probably explains its undiscovered nature.) If you want to fly in, Golden Bay Air provides regular flights on a small aircraft from Wellington.
- Farewell Spit Lighthouse - Take a 4WD tour along Farewell Spit to the historic lighthouse on the tip.
- Waikoropupu Springs - The home of the clearest water in the world. Feed the tame eels and visit the salmon farm.
- Anatoki Salmon Fishing. Experience the thrill of catching your own food. Find a spot on Lake Anatoki to cast your line and land your lunch.
- Lollokiki Designs, 30 Commercial St, ☎ +64 3 525 8005. Established in 2007, Lollokiki Boutique Gallery offers a range of art, craft and jewellery by Kas Muller and Toy Murchie.
- Whole Meal Cafe, 60 Commercial St, ☎ +64 3 525 9426. Small cafe with a number of organic and vegetarian offerings.
- Anatoki Salmon cafe, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 9AM-4:30PM. Fresh salmon straight from Lake Anatoki onto your plate.
- Bay Country Lodge@Pohara, ☎ +64 3 525 9438, e-mail: email@example.com.
- The Sandcastle. 6 self-contained chalets set in a peaceful gardens and native bush. A spa, sauna, and cold dip are available at this relaxing facility conveniently situated between Takaka and the Totaranui beach.
- Pohara Beach Top 10 Holiday Park, 809 Abel Tasman Drive, Pohara, RD1 Takaka, ☎ +64 3 525 9500, toll-free: 0800 764 272, fax: +64 3 525 8689, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Beachfront location. Accommodation options include power and tent sites, comfortable, fully equipped standard and kitchen cabins, fully serviced motel units, self-contained units and ensuite cabins. Access facilities available. Qualmark 4 Star plus Holiday Park. $34 - $155.
- Adrift Beachfront Accommodation, 52 Tukurua Rd (2 km north of The Mussel Inn), ☎ +64 3 525 8353. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 10:00. Five star luxury self-contained cottages. Absolute beachfront, right on a quiet, sandy beach. Seasonal rates, up to 50% discount in low season. $160-480.
- Onekaka - Where the finest beer (Monkey Puzzle) and some of the tastiest grub can be found at the Mussel Inn, about 17 km past Takaka towards Collingwood (great beach). Great place to do a little drinking, eating, making friends and listening to music. There's a glow-worm trail across the way that's just lovely to wander through once you've had a few.