Sykesville is an example of a mill town, common in this region, where much of the history is preserved, on the Patapsco river.
Route 26 and Route 32 both pass through Sykesville. There is NO mass transit in Carroll County-westward, so you will have to drive.
Walk or drive around Sykesville. There are some walking areas, but a lot of driving areas.
- The Sykesville Gate House museum is a museum on the local history of Sykesville.
- The Historic Black Schoolhouse was the only black schoolhouse in the region for a long period of time, in the late 1800s to the early 1900s.
- The Sykesville Walking tour a tour of the local historic sights.
- The Sykesville Ghosts and Legends walking tour, a tour of the legends of ghosts and monsters in Sykesville.
- Habib's Kabobs and Bagel Cafe, on one side serves authentic Persian cuisine, such as kabobs, and on the other side sells bagels, bagel sandwiches, bagel melts, and paninis.
- The Cork Wine Pub, a delightful sandwich place at lunch, with a more barlike feel in the evenings.
There are no places to sleep in Sykesville, the closest hotels being in Owings Mills.