Svolvær is in Lofoten.
Svolvær has little touristic interest for itself. However, it makes a good basis (or at least a transit point) to explore the Lofoten archipelago.
The city is on the E10.
There is an airport near the town.
- There is an express boat service from Bodø everyday except Sunday. The journey takes about 3½ hours.
- In addition, the coastal steamer Hurtigruten arrives at 19h (southbound) and departs at 22h (northbound) daily.
- To the Moskenesøya island (Reine, Moskenes, Å), several buses a day through Leknes.
- There is scheduled bus to/from Narvik (stops at Evenes Airport; no ferry on the new road).
Svolvær is really compact so the best thing you can do is walk.
There are many art galleries here.
- Svolvær tourist information. 9h-18h (Monday-Wednesday), 9h-15h30 (Wednesday-Thursday), 9h30-14h30 (Saturday), closed on Sunday.
- Lofoten War Memorial Museum, Svolvær, Norway (old postoffice building by the coastal-liner dock in Svolvær centrum). WWII Museum with its incredible collection of uniforms and its original chilling, Gestapo interrogation room.
It's not so easy to keep to the budget here. Narvesen kiosk is a good place to buy things such as drink. There's a bookshop in the town, art is being sold in many places and overpriced souvenirs are easy to find.
All supermarkets are located in the same area.
- Magic Ice, Svolvær, Norway (quayside in Svolvær, Lofoten Islands, Norway). June 15 - August 25: from 12.00 to 23.00, August 26 - June 14: from 18.00 to 22.00. A bar in an old fish-freezing plant that features ice sculptures. Adult NOK 95.
There's lots of different kinds of accommodation. Hotels are widespread, there's camping or you can get a rorbu (a traditional fisherman's cabin). Sleeping outside is possible as it is quiet, but the temperatures can be near freezing even in the summer and the cold wind from the sea doesn't help at all.
- Thon Hotel Svolvær. O. J. Kaalbøes gate 5. The hotel is centrally located in Svolvær, near the coastal steamer docks, in the heart of the spectacular area of Lofoten.
- Svinøya Rorbuer. Excellent rorbuer and restaurant on a separate island connected by a long bridge.
- Kabelvåg Youth Hostel. There is no YHA hostel in Svolvær, but Kabelvåg, the next town west on the E10 has a great one. Beds or rooms, breakfast is included in the price. It takes about an hour walk from Svolvær city centre, or a 10 minutes bus ride.
|Routes through Svolvær|
|Lofoten ← Leknes ←||W E||→ Narvik → Luleå|