Sutherland (Northern Cape)
Sutherland is around 350km from Cape Town. Follow the N1 north for about 230km to Matjiesfontein and turn onto the R354. Follow the R354 for around 110km until you reach Sutherland. All roads are tarred and in good condition.
- The southern skies. Sutherland is located in an excellent area for astronomical viewing. Take your own telescope, or visit the SAAO facility
- Visit the SAAO SALT telescope (14km outside town towards Fraserburg), ☎ +27 23 571-1413. Daytime guided tours Mon to Fri 10:30AM and 2:30PM, Sat 11:30AM and 2:30PM. Nighttime viewing Mon, Web, Fri and Sat starting between 6PM and 8PM, time will be confirmed with booking. The SALT facility can be visited during the daytime, nighttime sky viewing with 14 and 16 inch scopes are available. The SALT scope itself is for research purposes only and not available for public use. Please park at the Visitor Centre. Do NOT drive up to the telescopes themselves as that is a light restricted area. R20 per person for daytime tours, R40 per person for nighttime viewing.
- The Galaxy B&B, 7 Theron Str, ☎ +27 23 571-1241, fax: +27 23 571-1241.
- Sutherland Inn, 28 Northumberland Str, ☎ +27 23 571-1432, e-mail: Sutherlandinn@telkomsa.net. From R170.
- Southern Cross B&B, 18 Muller Str, ☎ +27 23 571-1477, fax: +27 86 621-3910, e-mail: email@example.com.