Study Butte-Terlingua is a group of tiny communities in the Trans-Pecos region of Texas set against the desert and mountain scenery of Big Bend Country and home to ghost towns, remote getaways, and famous chili cook-offs. The boundary between Study Butte (STOO-dee BYOOT) and Terlingua blurs to such a degree that they are often treated as a single entity (though locals may have something to say about that).
No public transportation serves this remote area of the state, so you'll need to provide your own. An automobile is your best bet, though bicycles are becoming increasingly popular. If you own a horse, the backcountry here makes for beautiful, if rugged, terrain.
- Big Bend Expeditions, 6000 North County Rd, toll-free: +1-888-408-2945. 9AM-5PM. Touring Big Bend National Park and the surrounding areas in 4X4 SUV's. Also, offer hiking tours within the National Park and on a private ranch.
- Big Bend Resort Restaurant, ☎ +1 432 371-2483. 6AM-7PM daily.
- Chili Pepper Cafe, ☎ +1 432 371-2233. M-Tu, Th-Su 8AM-8:30PM.
- Long Draw Pizza, ☎ +1 432 371-2608.
- Rio Bravo Mexican Restaurant, ☎ +1 432 371-2101.
- Terlingua Springs Market and Coffee House, ☎ +1 432 371-2332. 9AM-6PM. Natural food store and coffee bar
- Tivo's Restaurant (next to the Longhorn Motel), ☎ +1 432 371-2541.
Terlingua Ghost Town
- Ghost Town Cafe, Ghost Town Rd (near the Ghost Town Cemetery), ☎ +1 432 371-3000, e-mail: email@example.com. 6:30AM-9PM daily. No 'non-smoking' section.
- High Sierra Bar & Grill (located at the El Dorado Hotel), ☎ +1 432 371-3282. 1PM-11PM daily.
Beer, cocktails, and an impressive variety of tequila and other Mexican liquors are served up at La Kiva.
- Boathouse Bar, ☎ +1 432 371-2219. 4PM daily.
- Big Bend Getaway, ☎ +1 432 729-3162, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Two- or three-night minimum stay required. $109-$129.
- Big Bend Resort (Big Bend Motor Inn / The Mission Lodge), ☎ +1 432 371-2313. The dated motel rooms are basic at best but serviceable, though 2-room apartment- or house-style accommodations with kitchens are also available. The Mission Lodge across the street is under the same management (but boasts a slightly more rustic exterior). An RV park ($21-$29/night) and campground ($15/night) are also on the premises; discounts are offered for long-term stays. There's also a cafe serving Tex-Mex and a convenience store on site. No late check-ins allowed after 10PM. $89-$105 single rooms, $149-$199 apartments (price covers up to 4-6 adults).
- Longhorn Ranch Motel and RV park, Hwy 118 South, Terlingua, ☎ +1 432 371-2541, e-mail: email@example.com. $60-$85.
- Ten Bits Ranch, 6000 North County Rd, Terlingua, toll-free: +1-866-371-3110, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Two-night minimum stay required. A unique area Bed and Breakfast with 360 mountain views. Styled around a themed old west town of "Chimney Rock". You will stay in one of the 4 rooms, the Gun Smith room, the Bank room, the School House room or the General Store room. $129-$199.
- Wild Horse Station, ☎ +1 432 371-2526. $80.
- Lajitas Golf Resort & Spa, HC 70 Box 400 (15 miles south of Terlingua Ghost town on the River Road (Hwy 170)), ☎ +1 432-424-5000. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Rooms vary in size, decor and price from simple hotel rooms with "Cowboy Bordello" style rooms in the Badlands Hotel part of the resort, to one-of-a-kind suites, luxurious condos, and even 1,2, or 3 bedroom houses. Resort amenities include horseback riding, an amazing golf course, ATV/jeep/river tours, a Spa, two pools, two restaurants, and the infamous Thirsty Goat Saloon. $129-$599.
Terlingua Ghost Town
- Terlingua House, ☎ +1 325 473-4400, e-mail: email@example.com. Two-night minimum stay required. $220 + $75 one-time cleaning/restocking fee.
- Upstairs at the Mansion, ☎ +1 360 713-3408, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Two-night minimum stay required. $65.