Stralsund was a member of the Hanseatic League and thankfully retains a lot of the architecture of its glory days.
Stralsund is about a 1h train ride or 80 minutes drive east of Rostock either using the B 105 or the A 20 (watch the speed cameras on the E 251).
Rostock is the closest airport with flights from other parts of Germany. Berlin is the closest major international airport.
- Church of St Mary's. including Human hamster wheel (to lift church bells into the towers).
- Wooden market. inside the Rathaus.
- Oceanographic Museum. With its branches: Ozeaneum, Natureum, Nautineum.
- Museum of Cultural History. with several locations.
- World Heritage Exhibition.
- Störtebeker. beer, a local brewery with a varied selection of delicious beers.
- Fritz Braugasthaus, Am Fischmarkt 13a, ☎ +49 3831 35700.
- Younior Hotel. Right at the old town, very affordable, young guests but also adults. Offers occasions for volleyball, barbecues and various indoor activities like table tennis and pool billiard.
- Haus Wullfcrona. Special atmosphere in a baroque gable house. Individual apartments mixing old and new. Sunny courtyard and cosy restaurant.
- Scheelehof. The premier hotel in Stralsund. Right at the old town, with vast spa/wellness offerings. Separate conference space. The medieval hallway with its restaurant as well as the gourmet restaurant and bar at the vaulted brick cellar are a must-see.