Storms River (Stormsriver) is a small village in the Eastern Cape of South Africa. It is located in the Garden Route and functions as the gateway to the Tsitsikamma National Park. Only a short drive east of Knysna, Storms River comprises more than just a village – it is a synonym for anything adventurous and daring, mild or wild. Storms River mouth is spanned by a suspension bridge, offering breathtaking views over rocks and coves and crashing waves of the Indian Ocean. The bridge leads to a lookout point from which sweeping views over a verdant forest and the Storms River camp reward any hike to this area. A first-class Eco-Destination, ecologically sensitive activities such as Bungee Jumping from the Bloukrans River Bridge, and Canopy Tours, are two of the most popular things to do at Storms River and surrounds!
The main companies stop in Storms River at the petrol station on their Cape Town - Port Elizabeth run. The petrol station is 5km from town, all establishments in Storms River will charge something like R50 for pick up and drop off. The cheaper option: the public bus, drives from Knysna towards Port Elizabeth in the morning, returning to Knysna in the afternoon. The bus stops north of Storms River West (township) on the N2 (which is walking distance), around 7:30AM and 3:30PM, bus fare to PE costs R60, way less than what the main companies charge.
By rail & plane
There is no rail station nor airport in Storms River. Though the nearest train station is at Assegaai, in Kareedouw (40 km), as a stop of the Apple Express. The nearest airports are located either in George or in Port Elizabeth, both 180 km away.
The village is small enough to get around on foot or by bike, or you can take your vehicle.
Tsitsikamma National Park is one of the main attractions near Storms River and is situated 5km west of the village along the N2.
- Outback Trial Riders, Corner of Assegaai & Formosa St's, ☎ +27 42 281-1842. Daily 8AM-5PM. Guided horse rides through the indigenous forest R300.
- Segway Tours, 54 Formosa St, ☎ +27 81 320-3977, e-mail: email@example.com. Daily 9AM-3PM. Guided ride on a segway around the village, through the township, indigenous forest and/or to the Big Tree. R285 for 1 hour, R400 for 2 hours.
- Treetop Canopy Tour, 101 Darnell St, ☎ +27 42 281-1836, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 8AM-3:45PM. See the indigenous forest from the tree tops, 30m up. R450 per person, this includes a meal and guides.
- Tsitsikamma Falls Adventure, 8km east along the N2 from the Storms River bridge, ☎ +27 42 280-3770, e-mail: email@example.com. 8 slides across the Kruis river, over waterfalls and rock pools, the longest 211m long. R350 per person.
- Woodcutters’ Journey, 101 Darnell St, ☎ +27 42 281-1836, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 8:30AM, 11:30AM, 2:30PM. Enjoy a tractor-trailer ride down the old Storms River Pass, with a knowledgeable guide and refreshments served next to the river. Morning & afternoon R125pp, lunch R175pp..
- Storms River Township Walk, House 252, Storms River West, ☎ +27 84 801-6274, e-mail: email@example.com. Daily 8AM-5PM. Experience rural township life with local guide Geraldine. Visit the local school, creche, crafters and see how ordinary people live and work. R75pp.
- Forest Fynbos Walks, ☎ +27 42 281-1936, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Guided Forest Walks with Bob and Louise Reed, bird watchers, who love to share their knowledge of nature.
Starting at the Forest Station down-town Storms River, all have free self-issue permits at unmanned gates.
- Plaatbos Walk. Various options from 800 m to 12 km circular or linear.
- Walk to the low water bridge. About 5km, circular, follow the gravel road (the Old Pass) to the picnic site on the banks of the Storms River. Braai facilities and swim in the river.
- Goesa Walk. 2 km, easy, passes through indigenous forest.
A 22km cycle route, starting from Storms River Village, through the old Storms River Pass, passing the low water bridge over the Storms River, all the way to the viewpoint of the Tsitsikamma National Park over Storms River Mouth. From there on you can cycle the same road back, or you could walk down (with your bike) towards the suspension bridge and exit through the rest camp, returning to Storms River Village over the N2. Note: by entering the National Park from the rear, you're not paying entrance fees! Mountain bikes can be hired in town from the Mild2Wild Adventure Center and at all 3 backpackers.
- Mountain Bike Hire (at the Mild2Wild Adventure Center), 111 Darnell St, ☎ +27 42 281-1054, e-mail: email@example.com. Daily 8AM-5PM. R110pp.
River tubing in the Storms River starts around 8AM with a briefing, then you get fitted with wetsuits and other gear, a short 4x4 ride gets you near the river, you'll have to walk the last bit, a very steep decent. When the river is high, you can paddle all the way, when the river is low, tubing becomes more of a 'kloofing' experience. Takes till noon, where get picked up with a 4x4, driven back to town for dry clothes and a well deserved lunch. There are 2 operators in town.
- Storms River Tubing, 111 Darnell St, ☎ +27 84 877-7100. Daily before 9AM. Storms River Tubing is fun, yet physically demanding activity. R495.
- Black Water Tubing, Corner of Saffron & Darnell St's, ☎ +27 42 481-1757. Daily before 9AM. The ultimate Storm River adventure... including free braai lunch! R495.
- Andelomi, 31/34 Formosa St, ☎ +27 42 281-1726, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily. Best food in Storms River, including meat, fish and vegetarian options. Booking recommended so they can prepare for your arrival otherwise you may have to wait a while. ~R150-R200 for 3 courses.
- Koffiepot, Darnell St. Daily 8AM-4PM.
- Mild&Wild, 111 Darnell St. Daily 9AM-9PM. Offers affordable and nice meals, pizzas and steaks.
- D'Oude Martha (at the Protea Hotel), Corner of Kamassi & Darnell St's, ☎ +27 42 281-1711. A long tradition of good, home cooked food. R60pp.
- Rafters, 24 Fynbos Ave (at the Armagh), ☎ +27 42 281-1512. Family restaurant serving traditional South African cuisine. Booking ahead recommended. R150pp incl. wine..
- Trees, 101 Darnell St. Daily 8AM-4PM.
- Marilyn's 60's Diner, Darnell St (Storms River Village, Tsitsikamma), ☎ +27 82 920-6626. 10h00 - after Dinner. American Style 60’s diner with checked floors, red & white colour scheme, Juke Box and sugar shakers. With its Cadillac’s and Chevy’s on display, neon rimmed signage, 50 and 60’s décor and Elvis and Marilyn memorabilia, the place creates a quirky and nostalgic feel. Everything from breakfast, cakes and milkshakes to All American Cocktails, burgers, steaks and diner style deserts, as well as a venue for private functions and 50’s and 60’s style themed weddings. Storms River's most popular eatery - can be busy and service isn't always the best. Reasonable.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:|
|Mid-range||R500 to R1000|
- DiJembe Backpackers Lodge, Corner of Assegaai & Formosa St's, ☎ +27 42 281-1842, e-mail: email@example.com. Lodge and self-catering. Food and accommodation of all sorts. Staff is particularly angry and overall the lodge feels unclean. There is hot water available, when the water is on, though the water seems to be off every morning. Avoid if possible. Adventures like: horseriding, mountainbiking and rivertubing. From R110 pp.
- Otters Nest, Denne St, ☎ +27 71 926-0214, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. NO LONGER EXISTS From R225pps.
- Tsalanang Township Bed&Breakfast, House 252, Storms River West (Right on stop street, go left after 1km and 4 crossings), ☎ +27 84 801-6274, e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Enjoy rural township life at a graded dinner, bed&breakfast. Township walk included. From R150pps.
- Tsitsikamma Backpackers, 54 Formosa St, ☎ +27 42 281-1868. From R110 pp.
- Tube 'n' Axe Backpackers, Corner of Saffron & Darnell St's, ☎ +27 42 281-1757, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. With camping, dorms, cosy doubles and watertight elevated tents, we’re the ideal stop for budget travellers. From R116pp.
- Serenity Retreat, Darnell St (Right on stop street, on your left after 800m.), ☎ +27 42 281-1530, e-mail: email@example.com. From R160 pps.
- Pear Tree Cottage, Formosa St (first right as you come to village, 40 m into Formosa St), ☎ +27 82 427-5248, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. From R200 pp.
- Andelomi Forest Lodge, 31 Formosa St, ☎ +27 42 281-1726, e-mail: email@example.com. In a quiet street but still an easy walk around town with a good restaurant, attached, laundry service.
- At the Woods, 43 Formosa St, ☎ +27 42 281-1446. A relaxing and comfortable base from which to explore the Tsitsikamma and surrounding areas. From R350-R495pp.
- March Hare Cottage, 94 Kamassi St, ☎ +27 42 281-1419, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Luxury selfcatering cottage, fully equipped, sleeps 2 (plus sleeper couch).Discounts by negotiation. From R550 pn.
- Storms River Guest Lodge, 28 Kammassi St, ☎ +27 42 281-1703, e-mail: email@example.com. 16 upmarket and comfortable all en-suite double rooms. From R410-R460pps.
- The Village Lodge, 40 Darnell St, ☎ +27 42 28 11 438, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Variety of comfortable rooms, en-suite hot shower, cooking facilities, spacious gardens. On the main road next to the main shops. From R200 (shared) to R1150 high-season self-catering for 5 people.
- Woodcutters Cottage, Darnell St, ☎ +27 42 281-1902. A restored forester’s home, now functions as a luxury selfcatering cottage
- Protea Hotel Tsitsikamma Village, Corner of Kamassi & Darnell St's, ☎ +27 42 281-1711, e-mail: email@example.com. A reconstructed Cape Village with 50 rooms looks like is village on it's own. R360-R700pps B&B.
- The Armagh, 24 Fynbos Ave, ☎ +27 42 281-1512, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Spacious, en suite rooms with magnificent views and private patios which lead into the sprawling natural gardens. From R295-R750pps.
- Police, ☎ 10111.
- Dr. Stander, Corner of Formosa & Kamassi Streets, ☎ +27 42 281-1710. Mo,Tu,Th,Fr 10AM-1PM. Doctor.
- Public Hospital, Corner of Karen & Krom St, Kareedouw, ☎ +27 42 288-0210. The closest hospital is about 40km away.
- Private Hospital, Muller St, Plettenberg Bay, ☎ +27 44 501-5100. The safest hospital is about 65km away.
- Tsitsikamma - The surrounding area offers a wide variety of hiking opportunities and other activities.
- The rest of the Garden Route. Including Nature's Valley to the west, and Port Elizabeth to the east.