Although Spearfish is a small community with 14,000 residents, it is the commercial and academic center for several towns in the Black Hills and nearby Wyoming and Montana, attracting more than a million visitors each year with its museums, festivals and natural beauty.
US I-90 runs East/West through Spearfish, Exits 8, 10, 12, 14, 17
US 85 (on the CanAm highway) South from Belle Fourche through Spearfish and continues to Deadwood/Lead
Jackson Boulevard runs West from I-90 Exit 12 through the center of town
Main Street runs North/South. On the south end of town Main turns into Colorado Blvd, on the North end, North Ave.
North/South streets are (mostly) numbered streets: i.e. 3rd, Canyon, 5th, Main, 7th, 8th, etc.
East/West streets are named from A to Z: i.e. Hudson, Illinois, Jackson, Kansas, Lincoln, Michigan, etc.
Spearfish is a small town. It's difficult to get lost but keeping this in mind will help you find your way around if you're looking for a certain street.
A paved walking path follows Spearfish Creek from one end of town to the other. The path leads you through five parks. Some city sidewalks on 3rd St. connect portions of the trail. The easiest entry point with public parking is from Spearfish City Park on the South end of Canyon St. The walking path crosses under the bridges on Jackson and Utah allowing safe and easy passage without waiting for signals on busy streets.
- Spearfish Canyon Scenic Byway. The mouth of Spearfish Canyon is on Colorado Blvd. next to the golf course.
- D.C. Booth Fish Hatchery. The hatchery is located just south of the City Park on Canyon St.
- Spirit of the Hills Wildlife Sanctuary.
Perfect for rock climbing, hiking, fly fishing and more, Spearfish’s beautiful forests and cascading waterfalls are naturally inviting.
Hikers, bikers, photographers and group travelers can discover inspiration amid the spruces and ponderosa pines. Inside the charm of the city, you’ll find great conversation and keepsakes in our coffee shops, restaurants and boutiques. Take in a theater performance, splash around at the waterpark or hear the engines purr at the annual Black Hills Corvette Classic. In Spearfish, you can fill your sense and your scrapbook.
- Spearfish City Park.
- Spearfish Canyon Country Club.
- Geocaching. Spearfish has a large number of caches in town and around the area ranging from easy to very difficult.
- Hiking and Biking These trails are just outside of Spearfish. Maps are provided by the Forest Service
- Fishing License required.
Visit the Spearfish Forest Service Office for more information on enjoying the outdoors
- Sanford's Grub and Pub, 546 West Jackson St, ☎ +1 605-642-3204. Has a huge menu both in content and in size. Get any American fare you can think of here: burgers, steaks, salads, countless appetizers. Also offers mixed drinks, bottled and tap beer. In the summer months, you can relax on the deck. $6-25.
- Seven Grill and Club Room, 447 North Main St, ☎ +1 605 717-5701. 11AM-9PM. Excellent soups and salads top off a menu with creative entreés from steaks and pastas to burgers and sandwiches. Sharing the kitchen with the Seven Grill is The Club Room. This more intimate atmosphere features the same fare along with jazz music and fine wine. $6-30.
- Roma's, 2281 East Colorado Blvd, ☎ +1 605-722-0715. A local favorite for real Italian food. This restaurant has an elegant atmosphere with dim lighting and live piano music on the weekends. The food is cooked to order and is simply amazing. $9-25.
- Spearfish Chophouse and Whiskey Bar, 523 Spearfish Canyon Rd (follow directions to Spearfish Canyon Scenic Byway). Do not be afraid to throw the peanut shells on the floor. Order a Mint Julep and try the Tenderloin Medallions. The steak tip Caesar salad is delicious. Fun and relaxed atmosphere. $8-30.
- Bay Leaf Cafe, 126 W Hudson St, ☎ +1 605-642-5462. Wonderful atmosphere, good service. Features some of the best soups in town. $8-25.
- Berry's Best Desserts (next door to Bay Leaf Cafe). Get handmade chocolates, pies, cakes, candies and breads while you are shopping downtown.
- A'viands (in Black Hills State University). They have a Mongolian grill where you pick your meat, veggies, and sauces and they cook them to order; hamburgers, chicken breasts, and french fries are also available. The Bravo section has pastas and a wood oven for pizzas. There is a deli where you can order sandwiches and wraps and a salad bar. They also have a bakery that bakes fresh everyday, with soft serve ice cream. The dining facility is an all you can eat buffet. They are open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner except on weekends, when just brunch and dinner are served. $6-8.
- Stadium Sports Grill, 744 N Main St, ☎ +1 605 642-9521. Offers a wide variety of quality food and beverages. Excellent atmosphere with fast and friendly service. Great lunch specials. $7-30.
- Latchstring Inn Restaurant, 10619 Roughlock Falls Rd, Lead SD (just 12 miles south of Spearfish in Savoy, Follow the Spearfish Canyon Scenic Byway through Spearfish Canyon), ☎ +1 605-584-3333. In the summer months, 360 degree views can be enjoyed from the deck and in the winter, you can enjoy your meal next to the fireplace. $6-25.
- Guadalajara Mexican Restaurant, 83 W Hwy 14, ☎ +1 605 642-4765. You can start the meal off with complimentary chips and salsa and a delicious margarita. Great food. $7-13.
- Barbacoa's Burritos & Wraps, 305 W Jackson Blvd, ☎ +1 605 722-1774. Featuring local ingredients. Healthy alternative to any fast food restaurant. It boasts quick and friendly service so it is a great place to pick up a quick lunch before classes. $5-10.
- Pizza Ranch, 2625 E Colorado Blvd (Right off exit 14, south side of I-90), ☎ +1 605 642-4422. 11AM-9PM. Right off I-90, this branch of the Pizza Ranch franchise (owned by Ted and Jill Schilling of Spearfish) offers a buffet-style lunch and dinner. The buffet consists of various pizzas and a large salad bar, along with freshly breaded chicken, potatoes, and vegetables. The prices for the buffet are very reasonable, and kid eat free every Wednesday night. The environment is clean, with friendly staff and accommodation for very large groups. Lunch starting at $8.18 for adults, dinner starting at 9.65 for adults, children's prices vary by age.
- Golden Dragon Restaurant, 1850 North Ave, ☎ +1 605 642-2641. Great authentic Chinese food. Can pick up or eat in. Always friendly and quick service.
- Cedar House Restaurant, 130 E Ryan Rd (across from McDonald's), ☎ +1 605 642-2104. Seniors seem to love this place. Delicious home-style meal. Friendly service.
- Bum Steer, 701 N 5th St, ☎ +1 605-717-8337. "A place for Steak." $13-$30.
- Shoot the Bull Steakhouse, 539 W Jackson Blvd, ☎ +1 605-642-2848. Amazing steaks, always cooked perfect. Great place to have the parents take you when they come up to visit for the weekend. $15-30.
- Lucky's 13 Pub, 305 N 27th St (connected with the Holiday Inn, just off I-90), ☎ +1 605-642-1582. Starting at 6AM, regular menu served until 10PM, appetizers served until 11PM. Menu features breakfast, lunch and dinner items. Daily specials offer great prices for large portions. Menu includes sandwiches, burgers, steaks, homemade pastas and tater tots. Also serves a wide variety of drinks. Showcasing a full bar plus weekly drink items. $6.99-25.
- The Milestone Family Restaurant, 620 East Jackson Blvd, ☎ +1 605 642-4200. Comfortable 24-hour restaurant with a varied menu including brunch items, spaghetti, steak, ribs, etc.
- The Green Bean Coffeehouse, 304 N Main St, ☎ +1 605-717-3636. True coffeehouse ambiance with comfortable outdoor seating. The coffeehouse is a converted house which is very quaint with a nice outdoor deck. Diverse menu with a huge selection of wraps, panini and grilled sandwiches. Staff is friendly and charming.
- Imperial China Buffet, 715 North Main St (downtown), ☎ +1 605 642-2588. All you can eat buffet style Chinese food and single portion meals are available. Great service and you always get plenty of food for your money.
- Spearfish Chophouse-Whisky Bar, 523 Spearfish Canyon Rd (in the Spearfish Canyon, the drive out there is scenic). Serves perfect steaks and well planned out and diverse menu options.
There are many selections to choose from.
Jacket Java- Coffee shop located in the library on the BHSU campus. Offers all of the regular drinks, plus a selection of soups and fresh backed goods.
- Wide Mouth Frog Bakery & Wine Bar, 3135 E.Colorado Blvd., ☎ +1 605 559-1008. Mon-Sat 8-8. Exclusive Seller of Chubby Chipmunk Truffles in Spearfish
- Spearfish Chop house and Whisky Bar, 523 Spearfish Canyon Rd. (Take Rd to Spearfish Canyon on the right hand side.), ☎ +1 605 642-1134. open seven days week from 11AM until 10PM. The bar is open from noon until 2AM.. Great place to grab a beer or mixed drink also serves great food. Offers specials on drinks usually nightly. Relaxed atmosphere. Prices Vary.
- Zbar, 529 N Main St (downtown), ☎ +1 605 642-3600. In the old HIVE bar, this newly renovated bar provides a fun place to go hang out and have a drink with some friends. As of right now it is just a bar/nightclub but starting in the next couple of months a kitchen will be added.
- Secret Garden Bed & Breakfast, 938 N Ames Ave, ☎ +1 605 642-4859.
- Quality Inn, 51 2725 1st Ave (I-90 ex.14,N.1 blk.to the hotel.), ☎ +1 605 642-2337. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. great hotel located right off the interstate exit 14, good clean rooms, excellent front desk customer service and competitively priced.
- All Star Travelers Inn, 517 W Jackson Blvd, ☎ +1 605 642-5753.
- Bell's Motor Lodge, 230 Main St, ☎ +1 605 642-3812. Downtown Spearfish
- Kozy Motel, 427 Main St, ☎ +1 605 642-4846. located as you drive into downtown spearfish this place offers rooms for anyone looking for a one night or one month place to stay.
- Royal Rest Motel, 444 N Main St, ☎ +1 605 642-3842.
- Sherwood Lodge, 231 W Jackson Blvd, ☎ +1 605 642-4688.
- Spearfish Creek Inn, 430 W Kansas St, ☎ +1 605 642-9941. Right on Spearfish Creek and the awesome bike path that runs through all the beautiful parks.
- Rodeway Inn, 2275 E. Colorado Blvd., ☎ +1 605 642-2350. This hotel offers free deluxe continental breakfast, free Wi-Fi Internet access, indoor heated pool and hot tub, pillow-top mattresses in all rooms, and free guest computer with Internet access. The Rodeway Inn offers several different room types to suit all different types of travelers.
- Super 8, 440 Heritage Dr., ☎ +1 605 642-4721. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Enjoy a swim in the heated pool! Start your day with a free continental breakfast. Super 8 provides free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel. Truck and RV parking is also included, Jacuzzi and family suites are available. Kids and pets stay free with an adult.
Bed & Breakfast
- Yesterday's Inn, 735 8th St., ☎ +1 605 644-0210.
- Wander Inn By The Creek, 333 3rd St., ☎ +1 605 722-5040.
- Aunt Apple's Inn, 214 E. Jackson Blvd., ☎ +1 605 642-1619.
- Sand Creek Bed & Breakfast, ☎ +1 605 642-7251.
Located in the City:
- Spearfish City Campground
- Chris' Campground
- Mountain View Campground
- Elkhorn Campground
Forest Service Campgrounds:
- Iron Creek
- Rod & Gun
The Spearfish Visitor Information Center is a great place to start your trip to Spearfish. You can find information on everything Spearfish - sites to see, things to do, where to stay and where to eat - at the Visitor Information Center. They also have information on the Black Hills area. The Visitor Information Center is located at 603 N Main Street (on the corner of Main and Hudson) in downtown Spearfish.
The Spearfish United States Postal Code is 57783
20 minutes east of Spearfish on I-90 is Sturgis, famous for its annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.
Highway (Alt) 14 runs through Spearfish Canyon and intersects with Hwy 85 at Cheyenne Crossing. Take 85 East to Lead/Deadwood, West to Newcastle, Wyoming.
|Routes through Spearfish|
|Sheridan ← Moorcroft ←||W E||→ Sturgis → Rapid City|
|Williston ← Belle Fourche ←||N S||→ Deadwood → Cheyenne|