The Tyne and Wear Metro has a station in the town centre.
A small passenger ferry (Tyne Pedestrian Ferry) connects with North Shields on the other side of the river. Bicycles are taken.
South Shields - depending on the direction of travel - is the endpoint of the Hadrian's Cycleway, which is signed as National Cycle Route 72. The North Sea Cycle Route (Route 1) also runs through the town.
The nearest major mainline station is Newcastle upon Tyne.
The nearest international airport is located in nearby Newcastle upon Tyne.
- Arbeia Roman Fort, Baring Street, NE33 2BB. April - Sept. Mon - Fri 10:00 - 17:00, Sat 11:00 - 16:00, Sun 14:00 - 17:00. Oct. - Mar closed. The eastern Roman fort on Hadrian's Wall was not one of the fortifications, but served the control of the important port. At the same time Arbeia was the central supply unit for the entire Roman troops on Hadrian's Wall. Situated above the Tyne in South Shields there is the excavation site. The main reason for visiting is the distinctive reconstructed West Gate which gives an excellent impression of the dimensions of such a system. Near the gate the commander's home was reconstructed, which gives an impression of the relative wealth of upscale military of that time with numerous murals. A museum with shop and an education center form the entrance to the castle grounds. free.
- South Shields Museum and art Gallery, Ocean Road, NE33 2JA. Mon - Fri 10:00 - 17:00 Sat 11:00 - 16:00. Council run museum featuring collections and artifacts from the late author, Catherine Cookson. The art collection mainly has 19th and 20th century works by British artists, with an emphasis on local subjects. Free.
- Souter Lighthouse and The Leas, Coast Road, Whitburn, Sunderland, SR6 7NH, ☎ +44 191 529-3161, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Variable, but generally Feb-Oct 11:00 - 17:00. Lighthouse which was in use until 1988, now run by the National Trust. The lighthouse opened in 1871, and was the first in the world to use a.c. electric current. The lighthouse used arc lamps and had its own generator. £6.50.
- Barbour Factory Store, Monks Way, Bede Trading Estate, Jarrow NE32 3HL (Near Bede Metro Station.). Mon - Sat 9:30 - 17:30, Sun 10:30 - 16:30. Next the factory which makes the well known waxed cotton jacket, stocking this and other upmarket outdoor clothes.
- The Marsden Grotto, Coast Road South Shields, NE34 7BS, ☎ +44 191 455-6060. Pub with food in a cave right on the beach. Accessed by a stair or lift down the cliff.
- Athol House, 21 Westoe Road, NE33 4LS, ☎ +44 191 421-8383. Basic bed and breakfast, rooms have kettle and fridge but shared bathroom.