- Shepton Mallet
- Taunton - County Town
- The Exmoor villages of Dunster, Oare, Porlock, Porlock Weir, Selworthy and Winsford are found in the Exmoor article.
Because of several local government reorganisations, the exact definition of the county of Somerset depends on whether you are talking about administrative, traditional or postal counties. This article specifically covers the current administrative county of Somerset, plus the unitary districts of "North Somerset" and "Bath and North East Somerset", most of which was once in the traditional county of Somerset. It does not cover the city of Bristol, which by tradition was a county in its own right.
Most of the Exmoor National Park is in Somerset, although Devon has the western part. The Blackdown Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty is also shared with Devon but two fall entirely within Somerset. These are the Quantock Hills and the Mendip Hills.
Few people from Somerset talk with a broad 'Somerset accent'
The region's main airport is Bristol International Airport.
There are major railway stations at Bristol (Bristol Temple Meads) and Taunton. Both are served by trains from London, Cardiff, Manchester, the North of England, Devon and Cornwall. Bristol is also served by trains from Portsmouth, Weymouth, Hampshire and Dorset.
The best way to get around Somerset is probably by car - while certain major towns and cities are served by rail, many popular tourist destinations, such as Clevedon, have no station, or, like Minehead, are served only by heritage railways with no connection to mainline stations.
- The Tor and abbey in Glastonbury.
- Somerset County Cricket Club
- Cheddar Caves.
- The Roman baths and superb Georgian architecture in Bath.
- Wookey Hole caves.
- Clevedon Pier
Truly authentic and cosy country pubs abound throughout this county, as well as rolling rural landscapes. The North Somerset area boasts Cheddar Caves and Gorge, Wookey Hole Caves, Glastonbury Tor and Abbey, as well as the Victorian seaside resort of Weston-Super-Mare.
In the summer, local strawberries with Somerset clotted cream.
Cider. There are plenty of opportunities to sample this fine west country drink whilst in Somerset. There are plenty of small farms who will sell you Scrumpy cider, most pubs also serve proper farmhouse cider, especially out in the countryside. Some of it can be very strong so watch out! A good place to purchase is Sheppy's Cider Farm just outside Taunton.
- Gurney Manor Mill, Gurney St, Cannington, Bridgwater TA5 2HW, ☎ +44 1278 653582. A watermill of 15th Century origins converted into a B&B. Comfortable rooms with character. Pleasant grounds with water features. Good quality home cooked breakfasts. £30-45 per person per night inc. B/fast.
- Helpful Holidays. Is a family business with over 600 high quality, inspected holiday cottages in Devon, Cornwall, Somerset and Dorset.
- Classic Cottages. Established in 1977, with over 750 handpicked and personally inspected holiday cottages throughout Somerset, Devon, Dorset and Cornwall.