- Lewoleba — Lembata's main town is also a regional centre and has some useful facilities (transport connections, ATMs, internet)
- Waiwerang — the main town Adonara
- Lamalera — a small village on Lembata, known for its whale-hunters
English is not widely spoken, so it's helpful to learn a little Bahasa Indonesia. However, even the national language is not spoken everywhere. The local language is Lamaholot.
A daily wooden ferry links Larantuka on the eastern tip of Flores to Adonara (stopping at Waiwerang, Rp 12,000) and Lembata (stopping at Lewoleba, Rp 30,000). Another ferry connects Lewoleba to Kupang (ekonomi class 70,000 including small meal, 12 hours). Pelni ships also serve the area.
- The Alor Archipelago, further east, is renowned for its diving
- Flores to the west offers some beautiful scenery, such as the colourful lakes of Mount Kelimutu