The "Skylands" is in the Northwest Region of New Jersey, in the Mountains.
- Morristown — A city of traditions. Washington camped there during the American rebellion.
- Madison — A mixture between a collegetown and a wealthy town.
- Newton — the county seat of Sussex County.
- Vernon — A popular destination with a ski resort in the winter and a water based theme park in the summer.
- Phillipsburg — A large, urban town just across the river from Easton in the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania.
- Hackettstown — A small town, with a historic, but struggling, Main Street.
- Flemington — Shopping in outlet stores is the thing to do here.
- Netcong — a transit hub near the corner of Warren, Morris and Sussex counties, with a train station very close to Interstate 80, and Routes 46 and 206
- Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area — beautiful park on the river for camping, hiking, tubing, canoeing, more
- Lake Hopatcong — the largest body of fresh water in New Jersey: fishing, boating, ice skating, more.
- American English is the main language of this part of New Jersey, but Spanish speakers can be found in shops and restaurants in many major towns. Communities of people who speak many major languages in the world can be found in pockets all over this region, as well.
- Waterloo Village (Park & Concert Fields), Stanhope, NJ (Route 80, exit 25 North, follow signs), e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. closed, mostly. Former historic park where actors demonstrated activities from colonial and revolutionary American times. Later, a popular concert spot. Now closed only for special occasions, like the Dodge Poetry Festival, the future is uncertain for the Waterloo Village. Historic preservation is underway, see attached link for official word from the NJDEP.
- New Jersey State Fair (Sussex County Farm and Horse Show), 37 Plains Road, Augusta, NJ 07822 (Very close to both Routes 206 and 15 in northern Sussex County.), ☎ +1 973 948-5500, fax: +1 973 948-0147. Typical State Fair with exhibits, shows and food in a very large fairgrounds facilities for about 10 days every summer. Check website for exact dates, which change every year. Other events throughout the year, as well.
- Minor League Baseball at Skylands Park, 94 Championship Place, Augusta, NJ, ☎ +1 973 300-1000. Home of the Sussex Skyhawks, formerly New Jersey Cardinals, now part of the CanAm League.
- Mountain Creek Resort (Action Park — Diablo Freeride Park — Vernon Valley — Great Gorge), 200 McAfee Vernon Road, Vernon, NJ 07462”. Mountain Creek is famous for its skiing in the winter time and it's "water park" in the summertime. Basically, a big theme park. Definitely fun stuff. The bike park is new since I've been there and they have other events in the fall: Wine Tasting, Dog and Horse Shows, Farmers Market. Lots more. It's all on their web site above.
- Land of Make Believe (Pirate's Cove), 354 Great Meadows Road — Rt. 611, Hope, NJ 07844 (2 miles south of Route 80, Exit 12), ☎ +1 908 459-9000. 10am-6pm throughout the summer season. Amusement Park "Specifically Designed for Parent Participation with Children"
- Pizzerias can be found around almost every corner. Most are good, some are better than others.
The other most common eateries in New Jersey are:
Fast Food, Chinese Food, Delis & Sandwich Shops, Bagel Shops, Bars (sometimes called Pubs), Chain Restaurants (Applebee's, Olive Garden, Chili's, Ruby Tuesday, Chevy's, Outback Steakhouse, and several others)
Emergency — Dial 911
- Morristown Memorial Hospital, 100 Madison Avenue, Morristown, NJ 07962. +1-800-247-9580. Regional Trauma Center
- Hackettstown Regional Medical Center, 651 Willow Grove Street, Hackettstown, NJ 07840. +1 908 852-5100
- St. Clare's Health System (4 Hospitals)
- St. Clare's Hospital/Boonton Township — 130 Powerville Road, Boonton, NJ 07005. General Information: +1 973-316-1800.
- Saint Clare's Hospital/Denville, 25 Pocono Road, Denville, NJ 07834. General Information: +1 973-625-6000.
- Saint Clare's Hospital/Dover , 400 West Blackwell Street, Dover, NJ 07801. General Information: +1 973-989-3000.
- Saint Clare's Hospital/Sussex, 20 Walnut Street, Sussex, NJ 07461. General Information: +1 973-702-2600.
- 24 Hour Pharmacy in Mt. Olive
Interstate 80 goes straight through the Skylands. It goes east towards Metro New York and west all the way to San Francisco, passing through or near many major cities in the Midwest, the Rocky Mountains and the Southwest of the United States.
- the Poconos just on the other side of the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area (see above)
- Toledo, Ohio
- Joliet, Illinois near Chicago
- Des Moines, Iowa
- Cheyenne, Wyoming
- Salt Lake City, Utah
- Sacramento, California