Siquijor is a small island in the Visayas lying some 22 km east of Southern Negros. While the coastline is mostly white sand beaches fronting the ocean full of tropical marine life, the interior is mountainous.
The Spanish named it Isla del Fuego due to the intensity of its fire flies. Legend has it that Siquijor rose from the sea during a tremendous thunder storm and one can still see fossils and shells on Mount Bandila-an, Siquijor's highest point.
Siquijor does not have an airport; the nearest airport is in Dumaguete, a short ferry ride away.
- There is frequent passenger ferries from Dumaguete on Negros, Tagbilaran on Bohol and Plaridal on Mindanao.
- The fast ferry Delta shipping lines and GL shipping lines from Dumaguete to Siquijor town cost from php120.
- the car ferry Montenegro shipping lines from Dumaguete to Larena.
- Finally, there is also Lite Ferries from Larena to Plaridal on Mindanao island and Larena to Tagbilaran on Bohol island. Larena to Tagbilaran cost 235.
There is a paved road running around the coast of the island.
- Hire a motorbike for around ₱350 per day (cheaper for long term). Available from Siquijor town and many resorts.
- Hire a tricycle.
- Jump on a Jeepney.
- Salagdoong Beach 6 km northeast of Maria. Favourite with the locals and great for swimming and snorkelling. There are also water slides and places to dive into the sea.
- Kagusuan Beach Noted for its picturesque seascape and rock formation, it is situated below a cliff and accessible by concrete staircase.
- Siquijor Beach Several white sand beach resorts dot the coastal areas.
- San Juan Beach Lots of beach resorts and great for snorkelling and scuba diving.
- Cambugahay Falls Impressive 3 tiered waterfalls just outside Lazi. Great for swimming.
- Lugnason Falls Nice waterfall close to San Juan.
- Capilay Spring Park A natural spring fed swimming pool in the centre of San Juan. A favourite with the locals at weekends.
- Cantabon Cave Takes 1.5 hrs to walk through and you need to register in the town before venturing inside. Local guide required (they hang around the cave) as the cave is locked up.
- San Isidro Labrador Convent Reputed to be the biggest and one of the oldest convents in the Philippines, the Spaniards started construction in 1887 and was completed in 1894. Declared as a historical landmark by the Philippine Historical Commission.
- Buterfly Sanctuary Just outside Cang-apa. Sign posted from the main road.
- Balete Tree Supposedly enchanted old tree covered in hundreds of roots and vines.
- Scuba Diving. There is really good diving around the island, especially the southern end.
Dive shops on the island also make trips all the way to the Apo Island (excellent) and Baligasac.
Visit Bolo Bolo, Shamans and witches
- Aberration Dive Club, North Poblacion Larena, ☎ +63 35 377-2368. Offers filled Scuba Tanks (₱650 each) for certified divers and easy diving without dive center connections.
Banks & ATMs
There is a PNB bank ATM in Larena (but only Visa cards are accepted).
There is a Metro Bank ATM in Siquijor town, on the main road. It accepts MasterCard and Visa.
- Joyjoy's Restaurant (at the beginning of the Pier).
- Sakura Restaurant. In the center of town. They have a variety of dishes. ₱40 and up. Great chicken curry and soups.
- Sammy's Pizza (right in the center).
- Villa Marmarine. 3 km north of Siquijor going towards Larena. Good food, maybe the best on the island.
- Crosspoint. In center of town in Larena.
- Al Capone's Pizzeria, Marjunnix Building (Corner Logarta and Legaspi Streets), ☎ +63 34 42260. 10:00-23:59. Great pizza using 100% imported meats and cheeses. Awesome sandwiches on French baguettes.
- Kawayan Holiday Resort, Cangmunag, ☎ +63 916 212-3130. 12:00-22:00. 2 restaurants; main restaurant touts international cuisine next to the "Infinity" swimming pool and lounge area around the pool.
- Hollyette's Restaurant and Bar, North Poblacion Larena, ☎ +63 35 377-2368. 09:00-?. International restaurant, very clean and always well stocked. Imported and local drinks. Sports bar with 32 inch Cable TV. Alternate room reservations at local rate. Domestic flight bookings. Aberration Dive Club. Free Wi-Fi Internet DSL-Connection
- Swiss Sternew, Siquijor Town. two Pizzas for p100.
Most people stay in some resort next to the beach around the island like San Juan. One quiet and remote option is the northwest tip of the island. If you don't mind staying away from the beach, try Swiss Star in Siquijor town. It's a good value for money.
Budget under 1000
- Kiwi Dive Resort, Sandugan Beach, ☎ +63 35 424-0534, e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 12:00. Located in the quiet northern tip of the island. Cottages with kitchen and rooms available. Daily scuba diving and massage available. Friendly Staff. Free Wi-Fi. From ₱490.
- Czars Place. Just outside San Juan. The other side of the road from the beach. Double rooms with bathroom for ₱500 per night.
- JJ Backpackers Village, Solangon San Juan, ☎ +63 9186700310, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. On San Juan beach. Dormitory available. double rooms. Restaurant with good food available too. Cottage rooms with queen-sized beds and outside bathrooms. All rooms have fans. dorm bed 300. camping 400. room from 500.
- Das Traum Guest House., Pangi Siquijor Town. (Just behide the Siquijor town Hospital, 10-minute walk to town), ☎ +63 9183479545. Double fan rooms, some with and some without en suite bathrooms. Cable TV. Nice Garden. Good budget place to stay. php250/300/350.
- Buhisan lodge, canal., ☎ +63 9053762920. Ordinary room with fan. php300.
- North Haven lodge, north poblacion Larena, ☎ +63 35-3772099. Fan double room with outside bathrooms. php300.
- Luisa and sons lodge (opposite pier in Larena). Fan rooms. from 300.
- Garden Ochid pension house, Roxas Street Larena, ☎ 377-2048. Fan double rooms with common bathrooms. php300.
- Angels little backpackers, Larena (on the road to Sandugan.), ☎ +63 9399362296. Fan dorm 4 beds per room. Fan single/double room. Only 3 rooms. php250/550.
- Casa Miranda (on road to San Juan). dorm bed 250 room 350.
- Toris Backpackers Paradise, San Juan. dorm bed 350 room 500.
- Chells Guest House, San Juan. dorm bed 350 room 750.
Frequent ferries to Dumaguete from the main port and Siquijor pier.