Shannonbridge is a town in County Offaly, Ireland located at the junction of the R444 and R357 regional roads in County Offaly, Ireland. It lies within the townland of Raghra (Irish: Reachra), at the borders of counties Offaly, Galway and Roscommon, with the majority of the population living east of the bridge in County Offaly. It has a population of approximately 600, and is predominantly low rise and low-density. It contains a number of different building styles, with two housing estates situated within the village. Its location along Ireland’s largest river and its proximity to Clonmacnoise have contributed to tourism being a key factor in its local economy. It is rich in heritage and the village is flanked by an important nature conservation area – the Shannon Callows. The physical environment consists of the River Shannon, callows, boglands and the Esker Riada (a major routeway in the 18th century). The village has one of the oldest bridges still in use over the River Shannon, completed in 1757. The monastic settlement of Clonmacnoise is some 7 km upriver.
- R357 from Ballinasloe
- R444 from Athlone
Shannonbridge lies on the River Shannon, so you can get in easily by boat.
Walk or cycle.
- River Shannon. Look at the River Shannon
- Clonmacnoise. See this monastic site built hundreds of years ago
- Fishing. For many years now, anglers from all over the world have been returning to once again plunder the incredible array of waters that ebb and flow a mere stone's throw from the village's Main Street.
- Tennis. Court was built in 1988. The tennis court was built with funds from the national lottery on land leased from the ESB. The court is located at the eastern end of the village adjacent to St. Kierans Park.
- The Clonmacnoise and West Offaly Railway Bog Tour. is a 45 minute train journey giving a guided 9-km tour out across a working environment, a cutaway area of preserved peatlands showing 12,000 years of history, heritage and archaeology. About 32,000 visitors go on the tour per annum. The Shannonbridge Pottery is nearby.
- Morans Shop. For groceries.
- Supermacs, Main St. Go in for chips and burgers and snackboxes.
- JJ Killeen.