Travelling around the Schengen Area

NOTE: Due to terrorist attacks in Paris and Brussels and the ongoing refugee crisis, some countries like Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Austria, Norway, and France have applied tighter checks on their borders. Normally those eligible to travel across borders (i.e. EEA nationals and those with valid Schengen visas) should be able to do so but must expect a longer wait and bring all travel documents to prove eligibility (e.g. passport, Schengen visa) when transiting via land or sea until the situation abates.

Europe is a continent that is relatively small but with many independent countries. Under normal circumstances, travelling through multiple countries would mean having to go through visa applications and passport control multiple times. The Schengen zone, however, works somewhat like one country in this respect. As long as you stay in this zone, you can generally cross borders without going through passport control checkpoints again. Similarly, by having a Schengen visa, you do not need to apply for visas to each of the Schengen member countries separately, hence saving time, money and paperwork.

Map of Schengen area participants
Blue: EU member states participating. Yellow: EU member states not participating, but obliged to join. Red, EU member states with an opt-out. Green, non-EU member states participating. Orange, non-EU member states de facto participating. Purple, non-EU member states with an open border.

Countries of the Schengen Zone include Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. Microstates Monaco, San Marino and Vatican City are not part of the Schengen Area and have differing formal relationships with it, but they all have open borders with neighbouring Schengen countries and can be legally entered with a Schengen visa. Andorra has no formal agreement with the Schengen Area and maintains permanent border controls, but does not issue its own visas. Instead, Andorra also accepts a Schengen visa. Therefore, if you enter the territory of Spain, France, or Italy (depending on what microstate is your destination), you can enter each of these countries as well.


The Schengen Zone is not the same as the European Union (EU). Not all EU countries are part of the Schengen zone and not all Schengen countries are part of the EU. As such, when you as a non-EU citizen go to an EU member state that does not participate in the Schengen agreement, you will be subject to their completely separate visa, entry requirements and passport control systems. The most notable example of an EU non-Schengen member is the United Kingdom. Newer EU member states Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania are not yet part of the Schengen zone but will be so in the future. Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein are examples of Schengen zone members that do not belong to the EU. For EU citizens the Schengen Zone is of somewhat less importance, as there is the related but separate concept of free movement inside EU.

The Schengen Zone only covers immigration controls, whilst the EU is effectively a customs union. Therefore, you do not need to pass through customs when travelling between a Schengen and a non-Schengen EU country, but you will need to pass through immigration controls (e.g. UK to Germany or vice versa). The converse is true for travel between EU and non-EU Schengen countries: you must pass through customs, at least if you have goods to declare, but not immigration (e.g. Switzerland to France or vice versa).

A Schengen visa and visa-free travel to the Schengen area (for eligible non-EEA and non-Swiss nationals) is valid for only short stays (those that are 90 days or less within a 180-day period – for all the area). Any non-EEA or Swiss national who wishes to stay for a longer period must apply for an appropriate long stay national visa, which is technically good for a particular country only. Moreover, a Schengen visa might not be valid to visit overseas territories of a particular Schengen country (e.g. French overseas territories or Greenland). This article has focus on short stay tourist, family visit and business visit visas as well as visits to the Schengen zone for the said purposes.

Visa and non-visa nationals

Citizens of the European Economic Area (EU, Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein) and Switzerland only need a valid national identity card or passport, they do not need a visa for the Schengen Area and are generally allowed to stay for as long as they want.


(1) Nationals of these countries need a biometric passport to enjoy visa-free travel.

(2) Serbian nationals with passports issued by the Serbian Coordination Directorate (residents of Kosovo with Serbian passports) do need a visa.

(3) Taiwan nationals need their ID number to be stipulated in their passport to enjoy visa-free travel.

The nationals of the following countries do not need a visa for entry into the Schengen Area: Albania(1), Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia and Herzegovina(1), Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominica, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Macedonia(1), Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Moldova(1), Monaco, Montenegro(1), New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Serbia(1, 2), Seychelles, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan(3) (Republic of China), Timor-Leste, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, United Arab Emirates, United States, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Vatican City, Venezuela, additionally persons holding Hong Kong SAR or Macau SAR passports and all British nationals (including those who are not European Union citizens).

If you are a non-EU/EFTA national (even if you are visa-exempt, unless you are Andorran, Monégasque or San Marinese), make sure that your passport is stamped both when you enter and leave the Schengen Area. Without an entry stamp, you may be treated as an overstayer when you try to leave the Schengen Area; without an exit stamp, you may be denied entry the next time you seek to enter the Schengen Area as you may be deemed to have overstayed on your previous visit. If you cannot obtain a passport stamp, make sure that you retain documents such as boarding passes, transport tickets and ATM slips which may help to convince border inspection staff that you have stayed in the Schengen Area legally.

Note that

However, all British Overseas Territories citizens except those solely connected to the Cyprus Sovereign Base Areas are eligible for British citizenship and thereafter unlimited access to the Schengen Area.

Non-EEA nationals who normally need a Schengen visa, yet have a residence permit/long-stay national visa in one of the Schengen countries generally do not need to apply for another Schengen visa to visit the other Schengen countries for the duration of their residence period. However, their visit in the other Schengen area countries will still be limited to the standard 90-day per 180-day period. Work or residence rights are also not extended outside the country that issued this long-stay visa.

Requirements for a visa

In general, if your nationality needs a Schengen visa for either business, tourism or family visits, you usually will need to procure the following documents (specific requirements vary slightly per embassy and jurisdiction so check with the embassy where you're applying at for the specific requirements), and you will often need one set of original copies and one set of photocopies per applicant:

Please do not give your only copy of the above-mentioned documents as the copies you submit to the application centre will not be returned to you (except the passport of course).

The application form may have an option of whether you want a single or multiple entry visa. However, the latter is rarely granted for first-time visitors and not all countries (notably the Netherlands) grant it at all unless you can demonstrate that in between two Schengen states, you intend to visit a non-Schengen country.

Read more about Schengen visa requirements:

Setting an appointment

In applying for a Schengen visa, it is important to note that there is NO such thing as applying at the embassy/consulate/visa application centre of your choice. The embassy/consulate/application centre you need to apply at will depend on where you plan to actually go, how long you plan to spend in each of the states, and what the main purpose of your trip is.

Generally speaking, you can only apply at the application centre that has jurisdiction over the country (and possibly city) where you live. If you are a temporary visitor in a third country, you cannot apply for a Schengen visa there. You will need to present proof of residence in a third country in order to qualify to apply for a visa.

Check the relevant embassy's website for more details on how to set an appointment, where you need to go, and what else you need to bring. In rare cases, if a member state has no mission in your home country, the embassy you need to visit is in an other country, serving also your area. The relevant embassy may also be that of an other Schengen country, accepting and possibly processing applications on behalf of the Schengen country you intend to lodge your application at.

Get all your paperwork in order as early as possible, especially if it takes days to process or needs to be posted to you. Personal appearance is generally required and is usually by appointment only; walk-ins are only allowed in a few cases. Appointment slots run out quickly so book an appointment early. The application may be filed up to three months in advance of your scheduled trip.

On the appointment itself

In general, personal appearance at the application centre is required; that is, an agent cannot lodge the application on your behalf. Make sure you be at the application centre at least 15 minutes before your appointment and that your documents are in order.

The staff at the window will inspect your documents, ask routine questions about your trip, collect the application fee, and normally take biometric fingerprints and digital photographs. If your documents are insufficient or out of order, or you are requested to submit more, then you will usually need to make a new appointment. Your application will not be processed until this is satisfied.

Processing time depends on a variety of factors. They include the applicant's nationality (some nationalities are subject to consultation with other member states), purpose of visit, time of the year, outstanding documentation, referral of application to different government departments, staffing levels at the embassy. Before the appointment is over, the application centre will advise you on how you can claim your passport (either by returning or by post).

After applying

If you receive a Schengen visa, make sure you check to see the information is correct. In particular, check that the visa says something to the effect of "valid for the Schengen States" (usually written in the language used by the embassy that issued the visa; for example, États Schengen). The validity dates must match your original travel dates and not expire earlier. Contact the application centre immediately if you notice any discrepancies (take note that even if you applied for a multiple-entry visa, the consul may still grant a single entry visa).

If your application is unsuccessful, you'll normally be given a notice explaining the reasons for such a decision. The process and grounds for appeal vary between each embassy/consulate but you are strongly advised to refer to the notice and address the issues outlined before returning to the embassy. Unless the refusal notice states that you are ineligible to apply for a certain amount of time, you can lodge a new application at any time (with a corresponding fee), but make sure you address the issues that caused your previous application to fail.

Keep copies of the documents you used in your application and those that will establish your purpose of visit, and be sure to bring them with you as border officers may ask to see them upon your arrival.

If you have been issued a Schengen visa but later you have been notified that the main purpose for your visit no longer exists (e.g. the conference you are scheduled to attend has been cancelled) yet you still want to pursue your trip to the other countries, then you may need to inform the embassy that issued you the visa about the change in circumstance and apply for a new visa with the pertinent embassy.

Interpreting length of stay and number of entries

Pay particular attention to the validity dates and length of stay: make sure to leave before they expire (whichever comes earlier/first).

The validity dates simply provide the window in which you can travel to the Schengen area. If you decide to postpone and shorten your trip however, the original expiry date will still stand and you must still exit on or before this date even if the allowed number of days stated in your visa won't be totally used-up by this said date.

If you were given a multiple-entry visa, the number of days indicated on the visa will refer to the total amount of time you can spend in the Schengen area, regardless of the number of entries you plan to make or are allowed to make, in a six-month period or the period stated in the visa - whichever is shorter. Hence, if you are given a multiple-entry visa but valid for three months but the length stay only allows 10 days, the 10 days won't be reset by you leaving the Schengen zone and returning later. In this case, if you stayed for 4 days on your initial visit but wish to come back while the visa is still valid, you can only return for a maximum of 6 days on that visa. Arrival and departure dates are included in the number of days you have stayed in the Schengen zone, regardless of actual arrival and departure time, so plan accordingly to maximize time.

Likewise, if you were only given a single entry visa for 30 days but have decided to cut your trip short by leaving only 20 days into your trip, you can no longer use that same visa any more and the remaining days you have left on that visa are forfeited (though this will not be taken against you when you apply for another visa in the future since you did not overstay). Keep this in mind if you wish to visit non-Schengen states (e.g. UK, Ireland, Romania, Bulgaria) in between two Schengen states and make it clear in your application that you need to do so (though you may also wish to visit such non-Schengen states only before entry or after visiting the Schengen zone).

If you have been issued a multiple-entry C visa with a long validity period (i.e. more than 6 months) or several single-entry visas, please be aware that you are only allowed a combined maximum stay of 90 days within a 180-day period in the Schengen area.

Entering the Schengen Area

Unlike in most other countries, incoming passengers are normally not required to fill-in any additional paperwork to present to passport control officials.

Just like with other visas, a Schengen visa does not automatically entitle you to enter the Schengen area. As such, you must still demonstrate to passport control officers that you are genuinely entitled to the visa you were issued. Even if you possess a valid visa, actual entry may still be denied/refused if you are unable to satisfy the border officer's questions and/or requests to see documents.

At most checkpoints, two sets of lanes are provided: one for EEA/Swiss nationals and another for all other passport holders. To facilitate and expedite clearance, please go to the appropriate lane. In some countries, the main airports may also provide a premium lane for eligible passengers (usually those who travel in first and business class); your airline will hand you a voucher which you will show to the staff upon arrival (ask your airline for more information).

When travelling through a Schengen airport, flights are separated into Schengen and non-Schengen flights, similar to domestic and international flights elsewhere. This means if your flight originates from a non-Schengen country but are connecting via a Schengen airport to another Schengen country (or vice-versa), you must clear passport control at the first (or last) airport you travel through within the Schengen area. When a connection is inevitable, consider the connection times and the potential for queues when booking your flights.

If you are a non-EU/EFTA national (even if you are visa-exempt, unless you are Andorran, Monégasque or San Marinese), make sure that your passport is clearly stamped both when you enter and leave the Schengen Area with all the pertinent dates visible. Without an entry stamp, you may be treated as an overstayer when you try to leave the Schengen Area; without an exit stamp, you may be refused entry the next time you seek to enter the Schengen Area as you may be deemed to have overstayed on your previous visit too. For those who need another visa in the future, the application may be refused or the processing of your application may experience further prolonged processing. If you cannot obtain a passport stamp or the ink is not too visible, make sure that you retain documents such as boarding passes, stamps of passports from other countries, transport tickets, financial documents, attendance records at work/school, which may help to convince border inspection staff that you have stayed in the Schengen Area legally.

At the moment, do not assume that all border officers at the different Schengen area states have access to the database of other member states (they generally don't). Make sure, if a stamp isn't automatically put into your passport, that it is.

Going around the Schengen zone

Once you are allowed into the Schengen zone, you can generally travel to any member state without going through formal passport control procedures again. When using a plane to travel between two airports within the Schengen area, it will be as if you are taking a domestic flight.

However, some countries like France, Italy and the Netherlands require non-EU/EEA/Swiss nationals to declare their presence to relevant local authorities even if they arrived from another Schengen member state. This may be taken care of by the accommodation you are staying at upon check-in, but otherwise you will have to visit the relevant authorities yourselves. Consult the Wikvoyage pages of the individual countries as well as the websites of their respective immigration authorities for more information.

The Schengen agreement also has provisions for allowing individual member states to temporarily reinstate border controls in certain circumstances.

In addition, expect random passport checks when crossing borders at any time, as well as when boarding a plane at the airport. Hence, even if there are no border (immigration) controls between Schengen states, you are strongly advised to carry your passport with you when crossing borders between Schengen states.

Be aware that Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, and Liechtenstein, while in the Schengen area, are not in the European Union and, accordingly, customs controls are in effect for all arriving travellers, regardless of point of origin. On some borders the controls are lax and you may have to yourself make sure to find a customs official to declare goods needing customs clearance. Åland, while a member of the EU and Schengen as part of Finland, is not a member of the tax union and you should thus declare some imports, even when there is no customs where you happen to pass the border. Similar considerations apply to the Channel Islands and some other areas. When crossing the border by train, customs officers may enter the train; and when crossing by car, customs officers may stop your vehicle and inspect it. It is possible that inspections may happen twice in a single journey: once by the customs officers of the outgoing country and another by the customs officers of the incoming country. Normally, if transiting through an airport in one of these four countries, you may not be required to clear customs in the transiting airport.

Check the following websites for more information on customs declaration requirements:

Finally, even within EU-Schengen states where technically customs checks are not carried out on importing or exporting goods, customs authorities of individual EU-Schengen states may still carry out checks to ensure that prohibited or controlled items (e.g., illegal drugs, firearms) are not transported across the border.

This article is issued from Wikivoyage - version of the Friday, March 25, 2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.