Sarnia is a city in Southwestern Ontario with a population of around 90,000. It is situated at the south end of Lake Huron. Point Edward is a village in the north west corner of Sarnia.
It would be best to have a car. Traffic is usually very light, and the roads are in good condition.
Sarnia has a walkable downtown (Front St. area).
Sarnia Transit operates a bus system throughout town. Fare is $2.50 for a single ride. Monthly passes are available at various government offices throughout the city.
In the warmer months go under the Bluewater Bridge for fresh cut fries and to watch the boats in the St. Clair River.
Located on Lake Huron, there are many public-access beaches along the shore. Canatara Park has a large public beach with plenty of parking, although it is known to be somewhat rocky and the water is colder, due to the current of the St. Clair River.
Beaches in Bright's Grove (the most North-East end of Sarnia) are generally sandier and warmer, and there are large areas of public access, notably at Mike Weir Park (the largest public park on Lake Huron, it has a large sandy beach, with parking, playground, baseball diamonds, and sheltered picnic areas) and Kenwick Park (which has tennis courts, a basketball court, playground and sheltered picnic area)
If you have children, the Children's Animal Farm in Canatara Park is a hit. This attraction is free of charge and the animals come right out to greet you. It's very safe and the whole family will have a ball. The nearby Canatara Choo Choo is an inexpensive ten-minute ride through the park.
Canatara Park also has a great beach, hiking trails, and a big park for barbecues or family picnics, sports fields, and a lot of bird wildlife.
- Lambton Mall. The largest mall in the area with many clothing boutiques to meet most styles. Larger stores include Canadian Tire, Sears, SportChek, and Tepperman's.
- Albert's Rolling Lunch, 99 Michigan Ave, Point Edward, ☎ +1 519 337-3535. The original chip truck under the bridge (started in 1957), now just up the road in a permanent location. Busy in the summer with take-out style burgers and fries, and a great selection of Ice Cream.
- Lola's Martini Lounge, 110 Christina St S, ☎ +1 519 336-8088. On Christina is a very popular spot on the weekends for more upscale cuisine.
- Salvatore's Trattoria E Ristoranté, 105 Michigan Ave, Point Edward, ☎ +1 519 344-2855. 10AM-9PM, Closed Sunday. A cute little Italian restaurant in Point Edward that is a hit with the locals. Savlatore's is within a 4 minute walk of the Bluewater Bridge.
- Stokes By the Bay, 485 Harbour Rd, ☎ +1 519-337-8466. Daily 11:00AM - 12:00AM. Close to the Bluewater Bridge; great for pub food, good beer and a great atmosphere.
- Wagg's Steak and Seafood, 420 Christina St N, ☎ +1 519 344-4422. One of Sarnia's best restaurants for quality food in a elegant environment. Located next to the Super 8. The house specialty is Prime Rib.
- Skeeter Barlow's Grill and Bar, 2715 Old Lakeshore Rd., Bright's Grove, ☎ +1 519-869-2794. Great wings and a waterfront patio.
- Limbo Martini Lounge, 196 Christina St N, ☎ +1 519 344-6097. A casual dining lounge in downtown Sarnia featuring a large menu of fun, delicious martinis. The service isn't the greatest but the drinks are.
- Holiday Inn, 1498 Venetian Rd, Point Edward, N7T 7W6, ☎ +1 519 336-4130. The Holiday Inn in Point Edward is one of the major hotels in town and caters to both corporate and leisure travellers. The hotel is located on the waterfront and has convenient access to a marina.
Sarnia, ON is serviced by Bell Canada for landline telephones, and is covered by the major Canadian celluar companies (Bell, Telus and Rogers).
Newspapers and Periodicals
The Sarnia Observer is the local daily newspaper serving Sarnia and Lambton county. Other national newspapers are available (Globe and Mail, National Post)
- Port Huron, Michigan lies across the St. Clair River.
- London (Ontario) is located 100km east, and is the closest major city to Sarnia.
|Routes through Sarnia|
|END ←||W E||→ London → Kitchener|
|Port Huron ← becomes ← ←||W E||→ London → Ends at|
|END ←||N S||→ Chatham-Kent → END|