Santa Clara (Cuba)
There are several trains to/from Havana each day. Camagüey and Santiago de Cuba are served by a daily overnight train and a twice weekly daytime local train that runs west on Thursdays and Sundays and east on Mondays and Fridays. A local train may leave Cienfuegos for Santa Clara (very) early in the morning, returning in the evening. Another local train may travel from Sancti Spiritus to Cienfuegos via Santa Clara in the morning, returning in the afternoon. Check that the local trains are running in advance.
Santa Clara has an international airport named Abel Santa Maria. This airport is used mostly by tourists who are going to all inclusives resorts in Cayo Santa Maria. Air Canada, Air Transat, Canjet, Wesjet and Cubana serve many Canadian cities from this airport
Horse carriages operate in the centre of town and can take you to Che's mausoleum for around 1 CUC
- Mausoleum for the fallen of the Revolution. Santa Clara contains the mausoleum for the fallen of the Revolution. Included in this mausoleum are the remains of Che Guevara himself. In order to maintain the sanctity of the place, photography inside the mausoleum is strictly prohibited. Also, there are no souvenir-sellers to be found nearby. There is also a Che Guevara museum, as well as a huge square (Plaza de la Revolucion) overlooked by a large statue of Che. Americans are, unofficially at least, not allowed inside the museum and mausoleum, although they don't ask for ID but just where you're from, so mention that you're Canadian, Irish, etc. if you're American.
- Monumento a la Toma del Tren Blindado. 5/10 minutes east of the center is the "Monumento a la Toma del Tren Blindado" - the site of one of the most important battles in Cuban history, where Che Guevara and his men ripped up the railway line, derailing an armoured train, and defeated the men inside. The site shows the actual bulldozer used, and a number of the actual train carriages in situ. Inside the carriages are exhibits, with accompanying text, in Spanish only.
- The Constantino Perez cigar factory is a working factory in Santa Clara open for visitors.
- Dino's Pizza, Marta Abreu No. 10. Has decent pizza. Internet access 5 CUC
- El Castillo. Peso-priced. Pork, chicken, salad, etc.
Cafes and cantinas are located in one section of 'Main Street' (listen for the live music) where the usual Cristal Cerveza, rum and cafe abound. In fact, a real treat is the ridiculously cheap and fantastically fresh and tasty espresso located on the strip.
- Casa Amneris, E.P. Morales No. 60 (between Villuendas and Juan B. Zayas), ☎ 203270. 2 excellent rooms for rent. Optional breakfast and/or dinner.
- Hostal Park, Leoncio Vidal 1 Altos, Entre Parque Y Maceo, Santa Clara 50100, Cuba, ☎ 219727. Beautiful old casa overlooking the central square in Santa Clara City. Welcoming family. Breakfast included, other meals available.
- Isidro y Marta, Calle Maestra Nicolasas (Candelaria) No. 74 e/ Colon y Maceo, Santa Clara, Cuba, ☎ (53) 42-203813. Two rooms with private bath, hot water, air conditioning, meals available. Really nice family! The teenage boy and girl speak English 15 CUC.