Samut Prakan (Thai: สมุทรปราการ) is a town in the Bangkok Metropolitan Region in Thailand.
Samut Prakan, also known as Pak Nam, is 29 km south of Bangkok, near where the Chao Phraya River flows into the Gulf of Thailand. The town dates from the Ayutthaya period and has plenty of historical and cultural sites.
You can use the old Sukhumvit Rd and also Hwy 303 to get here from Bangkok. The distance is only 29 km.
Consult the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) web site for full details.
Air conditioned buses (of the BMTA)
- Line No. 502 (Sam Rong - Pak Khlong Talat)
- Line No. 506 (Pak Kret - Phra Pradaeng)
- Line No. 507 (Sam Rong - Tha Phra)
- Line No. 508 (Pak Nam - Tha Ratchaworadit)
- Line No. 511 (Pak Nam - Pratunam-Ratchadamnoen Klang Rd(Khao San)-Southern Bus Terminal 'Sai Tai')
- Line No. 513 (Rangsit - Pu Chao Saming Phrai)
- Line No. 523 (Sam Rong Thewet via Expressway)
- Line No. 525 (Pak Nam - Tha Chang)
- Line No. 102 (Pak Nam - Chong Nonsee)
- Line No. 126 (Nonthaburi - Sam Rong)
- Line No. 129 (Thang Duan - Kasetsart University - Sam Rong)
- Line No. 142 (Wat Lau - Samut Prakan)
- Line No. 145 (Suan Chatuchak - Samut Prakan)
Non-air conditioned buses
- Line No. 2 (Sam Rong - Pak Khlong Talad)
- Line No. 6 (Phra Pradaeng - Bang Lamphu)
- Line No. 13 (Rangsit - Phu Chao Saming Phrai)
- Line No. 20 (Pom Phra Chun- Tha Nam Din Daeng)
- Line No. 23 (Sam Rong Thewet via Expressway)
- Line No. 25 (Pak Nam - Tha Chang)
- Line No. 45 (Sam Rong - Ratchaprasong)
- Line No. 82 (Phra Pradaeng - Bang Lamphu)
- Line No. 102 (Pak Nam - Chong Nonsi)
- Line No. 116 (Samrong - Sathorn)
- Line No. 129 (Kasetsart University - Sam Rong via Expressway)
- Line No. 138 (Chatuchak - Phra Pradaeng via Expressway)
- Line No. 145 (Suan Chatuchak - Pak Nam)
- Ancient Siam (เมืองโบราณ), 296/1 Sukhumvit Rd (from Bangkok, take the BTS to Bearing; then air conditioned bus 511 to Pak Nam Market; then take the no. 36 pickup songthaew, ask where to get off. A taxi ride from Bearing costs around 170 baht), ☎ +66 2 323-4094. 08:00-20:00 daily. Ancient Siam has scaled replicas of buildings from all over Thailand and is interesting to cycle around. Adults 700 baht, children 350 baht.
- Crocodile Farm & Zoo (ฟาร์มจระเข้สมุทรปราการ), 555 Moo 7, Taiban Rd (BTS Bang Na and then a taxi), ☎ +66 2 703-4891. 08:00-18:00 daily. This is the largest crocodile farm in the world but also features crocodile wrestling and acrobat elephant shows. There is an education and research centre for the preservation of wildlife, and also a dinosaur museum. Adults 300 baht, children 200 baht.
- Erawan Museum (พิพิธภัณฑ์ช้างเอราวัณ), Sukhumvit Rd to Samut Prakan (bus 25, 142, 365 or air conditioned bus 102, 507, 511, 536 from BTS On Nut), ☎ +66 2 371-3135. 09:00-20:00 daily. The most noticeable landmark in this area is the three-headed elephant. The three storeys inside the elephant contain antiquities and priceless collection of ancient religious objects of Kun Lek Viriyapant who is the museum owner. Its body is made from bronze with a pink pedestal rounded base decorated with millions of small tiles. The body is about 29 m high, and the total height is about 44 m. The design of all three floors represents three worlds. The lower floor is the underwater world, the upper floor is the earth, Kao Prasumain, and the top is the second heaven. 09:00-17:00 adults 400 baht, children 200 baht; 17:00-20:00 adults 200 baht, children 100 baht.
- Si Nakhon Khuean Khan Park and Botanical Garden (สวนสาธารณะและสวนพฤกษชาติศรีนครเขื่อนขันธ์) (Bang Kachao Sub-District, Phra Pradaeng District), ☎ +66 24 610972. Daily, 06:00-20:00. This place is a park, recreation area, and fitness facility for everybody. In addition, everybody can study the ecology of plants and animals locally and in the neighborhood. The garden is a combination of a park with a beautiful landscape which includes water plants, local plants that can grow in brackish water and traditional orchards. These parks and gardens is a green area that the government designated as the "lung of Bangkok". It has a wooden bridge along a garden for observing nature. There is also a seven meter tower overlooking the scenic surroundings and there is a bike service to rent bikes to ride around the park.
- Wat Khun Samut Chin (บ้านขุน สมุทรจีน) (take the daily public boat from Pak Nam Market at 09:00, the boat returns at 15:00). The temple in the sea that can only be reached by boat. Years ago, this temple sat in the middle of a local village with a school and a clinic surrounded by farms. It was an area where Chinese cargo was unloaded from Chinese junks. Now it is surrounded by the water of the Gulf of Thailand, but the monks still live in the temple.
- Bang Pu Seaside (สถานตากอากาศบางปู) (Sukhumvit Rd km37, Bang Pu Mai Sub-District, Muang District), ☎ +66 23 239983. Daily, 08:00-18:00. Bang Pu Seaside or Bang Pu is a tourist attraction and a famous place to rest along the Gulf of Thailand. Bang Pu Seaside encompasses 639 rai and is in a natural environmental. Bang Pu has trekking routes and bird watching throughout the year for more than 200 species of birds. A special attraction is the ten thousand seagulls that migrate from Siberia in early winter around mid-October to November annually. Suk Ta Bridge stretches out into the sea about 500 m and makes a great spot for bird watching and watching the sunset. Bang Pu is excellent for watching brackish water fish such as Tiger blowfish, needlefish, and mudskipper because it is at the junction of the Chao Praya River and the Gulf of Thailand. At the end of the bridge is Suk Jai Pavilion which has a restaurant where tourists can taste fresh seafood. In addition, there is a dance patio for dancing activities for seniors every Saturday at 16:00.
Many visitors use the province to stay the night close to Suvarnabhumi Airport.
- Grand Inn Come Hotel (โรงแรมแกรนด์ อินคำ), 99 Moo 6, King Kaeo Rd (bus 553 from Suvarnabhumi Airport), ☎ +66 2 738-8191. 1,200-2,000 baht.
- Nawarat Resort, 19/49 Moo 7, Bang Na-Trat Rd, ☎ +66 2 7503040(-2). About 15 min drive from the airport. 900 baht.
- Plai Garden (พลาย การ์เด้นท์ บูติค เกสท์เฮ้าส์), 88 Soi King Keaw 43, ☎ +66 2 181-2255. 900-1,000 baht.
- Ratchana Place, 199 Moo 4, Soi Bangna Garden (About 15-20 min drive from the airport.), ☎ +66 2 3134480(-9). 350-700 baht.
- Sananwan Palace, 18/11 Moo 11, Sukapibarn Rd 5, ☎ +66 2 7521658. Family-owned budget accommodation with swimming pool, TV, and high speed Internet about a 20 min drive from the airport. 250-600 baht.
|Routes through Samut Prakan|
|Bangkok ←||W E||→ Chonburi → Trat|