Rio de la Plata
Rio de la Plata is a region in Uruguay and includes the departments of Greater Montevideo, Canelones, Colonia, Rio Negro, San Jose and Soriano.
- Montevideo - capital city of Uruguay
- Colonia (Colonia del Sacramento) - old colonial city and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Mercedes (Soriano) -Pinacoteca Gimenez and Casa Puerta are art museums worth a visit in this colonial town.
- Fray Bentos (Rio Negro) - A city which used to feature one the world's most prominent meat factories. Now it houses a museum.
- San Jose
- Carmelo, Colonia Suiza, Colonia Valdense - pastoral colonial towns near Colonia
- Vila Soriano- 18th Century colonial architecture and the first European settlement in Uruguay. A famous cemetery.
- Rosario - a small town featuring many outdoor murals.
- Estero de Farrapos - a national park and a protected Ramasar wetland of international significance. It is considered the best spot in Uruguay to observe wild animals. Gateway to the park is the town of Nuevo Berlin.