Rio das Ostras
A three hour bus ride from Rio de Janeiro is R$40.
- Bird Park (Parque dos Pássaros).
- Casa da Cultura. 19th century house which shows regional artwork in its exposition hall.
- Coca-Cola Lake (Lagoa do Iriri). A lake with dark water, referred to by locals as a "lake of Coca-Cola" because its intense concentration of iodine gives it a color similar to the soft drink.
- Centenary fig tree. Centuries-old fig tree where Emperor Dom Pedro II once sat in the shade to rest, followed in later years by Brazilian President Getúlio Vargas, Prince Maximillian of Austria, prince Dom João Henrique (Brazilian), and Princess Fernanda Beatriz (French).
- Tarioba Sambaqui Archeological Site Museum (Museu do Sítio Arqueológica Sambaqui da Tarioba). Exposition of pieces, catalogued by epoch and origin, excavated from the Tarioba shellmound, evidencing prehistoric daily life in the area.
- Whale Plaza (Praça da Baleia) (at the end of Costa Azul Beach). Here you'll find a giant bronze statue of a humpback whale.
- Bosque Beach (Praia do Bosque).
- Central Beach (Praia do Centro).
- Costa Azul. This beach is popular with surfers.
- Turtle Beach (Praia da Tartaruga).