Rensselaer (New York)
Rensselaer is a city in New York on the Hudson river opposite Albany.
Rensselaer City Hall
- Albany International Airport (IATA: ALB), 737 Albany Shaker Road, ☎ +1 518 242-2200. is technically an international airport due to a handful of flights from Canada. Several expansion projects since 1995 have transformed this formerly spartan little airport into a very attractive port of departure/arrival. Airlines that operate are American, Delta, Southwest, United, Air Canada, and Cape Air. Getting from the airport to the city is best done by pickup from a friend or by taxi; in 2006, a taxi to downtown Albany was about $20 to $25. See also "By bus" below.
Rensselaer Rail Station
- Amtrak, 525 East Street, toll-free: +1-800-872-7245. The Albany-Rensselaer station is Amtrak's 10th busiest. It is not in Albany itself but directly across the river in Rensselaer. Taxis from the train station are pricey due to a cab company monopoly, so get a ride if you can. Capital District Transportation Authority (CDTA) bus route 214 connects downtown Albany to the station 6AM-11PM Monday-Saturday, 9AM-7PM Sundays. Bus route 24 service to the station has been discontinued. An additional bus route 114 connects downtown Albany, the University at Albany, St. Rose College and Crossgates Mall. Trains serving the stations include the Maple Leaf (New York-Albany-Toronto), the Adirondack (New York-Albany-Montreal), Empire Service (New York-Albany-Niagara Falls), the Ethan Allen Express (Rutland-Albany-New York), and the Lake Shore Limited (Chicago-Buffalo-Albany-New York/Boston).
- Greyhound Bus Lines, Albany, 34 Hamilton St, ☎ +1 518 434-8461. The Albany Greyhound station is located downtown near the waterfront. Boston, New York City, Buffalo and Montreal are all well connected by bus. The NYC-bound Greyhound is invariably cheaper and more punctual than Amtrak.
- Megabus, North Surface parking lot off of East Street (The entrance to the lot is located on East St., just north of Wendell St.). Megabus connects Albany with New York City. Fares start at just $1 when reserved far in advance. Parking is available in the surface lots adjacent to the stop.
- Capital District Transportation Authority, ☎ +1 518 482-8822. CDTA offers very limited bus service to the Albany International Airport. Routes 610 operates from around 6am to around 11:30PM every 25–30 minutes during the day and almost every hour at night. Weekend service is very infrequent. Route 737 serve the airport during weekday rush hours only and is infrequent as well.
- The Shoppes at Greenbush Commons, 600 North Greenbush Road. Retail park, includes a Target.
|Routes through Rensselaer|