Reichenau island is a UNESCO World Heritage Site due to its abbey. Reichenau has been occupied since 724, when the abbey was founded.
Reichenau is sometimes known as the "vegetable island." The island is covered in vegetable fields and greenhouses. It is also known for its wineries.
One of Germany's largest wildlife sanctuaries is located at Reichenau, where the causeway meets the mainland.
Tourist information: Pirminstraße 145, Mon-Fri 09:00-18:00, Sat 10:00-14:00
- By car Reichenau is attached to the mainland by a causeway. Follow the signs from road B33.
- By train Take the train to the station "Reichenau" on the mainland, then catch a bus 7372 onto the island.
- By bus Catch bus 7372 from Konstanz-Wollmatingen or from the Reichenau train station.
- By boat From April until October there are boat connections to Reichenau from Konstanz and Radolfzell.
- By bicycle The causeway onto the island is nearly 3 km long and has a dedicated paved path for cyclist, inline skaters and pedestrians.
The island isn't very big. The bus stops at a couple of places when it comes through, but the best way to get around is to walk, bike, or drive. Walking and biking are especially nice since there are several pedestrian/cycle paths.
Bicycle rental is possible from:
- Freizeitcenter located at campground Sandseele, Bradlengasse 24 (north-west end). They have regular bikes, tandems and trailers for towing kids.
- Reichenau Museum, Ergat 1 + 3. Apr – Oct: Tue-Sun 10:30-16:30; Jul & Aug: Tue-Sun 10:30-17:30; Nov–March Sat, Sun, public holidays 14:00-17:00. Adults €3, children €1.50.
- Schopflen castle ruins (at the end of the causeway, just before you're properly on the island). Originally served as a point of defense for the island at low tide. Destroyed in 1366. Now it's got a platform that allows you to watch part of the wildlife sanctuary. free.
- St. Maria u. Markus Cathedral. This was the abbey church and reached its present shape in the 11th century. The treasury (open Apr-Oct, 11:00-12:00 and 15:00-16:00, closed on Sundays) contains relics of St. Mark, among other treasures. Behind the cathedral is an herb garden, a reconstruction of the abbey herb garden.
- St. Peter and Paul Church. Features late Romanesque wall paintings from the early 1100's and has rococo ceilings from the 1750's.
- Georgskirche (St. George's church) (the first church you see upon arriving on the island). Contains relics of St. George, and wall paintings from circa 1000
- Water sports. Rent a motor boat, paddle boat, canoe, kayak, sail boat or row boat. Take windsurfing lessons. All this is offered by the Freizeitcenter located at campground Sandseele, Bradlengasse 24 (north-west end).
- Guided tour. Island tours are offered daily by the Freizeitcenter located at campground Sandseele.
- Ice skate. If you happen to be here during the winter, and the winter happens to be a cold one, the lake will freeze in the bay beside the island. You can skate, play hockey, and buy mulled wine and currywurst from stands on the ice.
- Zum alten Mesmer, Burgstraße 9, ☎ +49 75 34-2 39. From 11:30 until ??; Mondays closed after 15:30.
- Restaurant zur Schiffslände, Stedigasse 18, ☎ +49 7534 9990990. 10:00–01:00, Mondays closed.
- Ganter Hotel Mohren, Pirminstrasse 141 (middle of town), ☎ +49 7534 9944-0. This hotel has a spa and a restaurant.
- Seehotel Seeschau Seeterrasse, An der Schiffslände 8 (on the south shore), ☎ +49 7534 257. Rooms vary--some have jacuzzi, whirlpool, lakeview. Has a restaurant. Single €89-98, double €128-180.
- Hotel Löchnerhaus, An der Schiffslände 12 (on the south shore), ☎ +49 7534 803-0. Has parking, garden terrace, restaurant. Single €85-125, double €150-210.
- Hotel-Restaurant Kreuz GmbH, Zelleleweg 4 (west end near the entrance to the island), ☎ +49 7534 332. Has restaurant. Single €62-92, double €96-114, suite (up to 4 people) €124-164.
- Hotel Insel Hof, Pirminstraße 156 (middle of town), ☎ +49 7534 246. Some rooms have lakeview. Single €50-65, double €74-108.
- s'Hobelbänkle, Rosendornweg 5, ☎ +49 7534 1383. Double €76 for one night; price is reduced the longer you stay.
- Hotel Garni, Am Vögelisberg 13, ☎ +49 7534 9210-21. Single €, double €.
- Campground Sandseele, Bradlengasse 24 (north-west end), ☎ +49 7534 7384. Adult €6.50, kids €2, under 6 free, €3.50 to €7 for your tent/motorhome/etc.
- The Black Forest (Schwarzwald) in Germany is about 2 hours away by train or 1.5 hours by car.
- Other cities and towns on Lake Constance. Especially recommended are Konstanz, Meersburg, Lindau and Bregenz.
- Stein am Rhein
- See the Rhine Falls in Schaffhausen