Rawcheh is in Beirut. The Rawcheh has always been a tourist attraction. Its renown rock landmark Pigeon Rocks attracts visitors from all over the world. Along the Rawcheh coastline are many restaurants and coffee shops that are always crowded with local and foreign visitors seeking fun and entertainment. At night, Rawcheh creates a mood of its own and offers something for everyone (usually those who cannot afford the Western Orientated nightlife located in Ashrafieh).
If starting off in Downtown, take a taxi but traffic can be heavy particularly on the coastal road. Walking along the corniche will lead you straight to the Rawcheh district, expect to spend at least an hour walking, but its worth it if the weather is right.
- Janine Rubeiz Gallery (Contemporary art), 1 Charles de Gaulle Avenue, Majdalani bldg.,(Audi Bank), Rawcheh, ☎ +961 1 868 290, fax: +961 1 805 061, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tues-Fri 10AM-7PM, Sat 10AM-2PM.
- Blue Elephant (Thai), Good Thai food can be found in Beirut, and at Blue Elephant the best dishes are probably the chicken satay and the tom yam prawn soup. The setting is a little bit kitsch and it may cause a bit of a dent in your wallet but for all that it’s an interesting experience. Searock Hotel, Caracas Street, Raouche. 01 788588. Open daily 7PM-11:30PM. Meal for two with wine: around $60.
- Bourj Al Hamam (Lebanese), Traditional Lebanese mezza with a good selection of grilled meats. Anything on this menu is sure to be good but try the beef fillet with homemade spicy sauce. The view overlooking the Med makes this restaurant a pleasant location so ask to be seated at a window table or on the balcony. The views alone are worth a visit. Mövenpick Hotel & Resort, Général de Gaulle Avenue, Raouche 01 869 666. Open daily 12noon-12midnight. Meal for two without wine: starting $60.
- Alfred’s Bar (Irish Pub), An Irish style pub, furnished very cosily with leather armchairs and couches. Also features a ‘U’ Shaped bar. Plays mainly commercial music, however Arabic singer Khaled Abdallah entertains the clients every Saturday. 01 790810. Lancaster hotel, Australia Street, Raoucheh. Daily 7PM-1AM; $10 minimum charge or $27 including meal+drink.
- The Lancaster Hotel, Australia Street, Raouche, ☎ +961 1 790810, fax: +961 1 790820. English-style boutique hotel.
- Moevenpick Hotel & Resort, =General de Gaulle Avenue, ☎ +961 1 869666, fax: +961 1 809326. The only city centre hotel with resort facilities. On the Mediterranean Sea, with private beach and Marina. Spa and Health Club spread over 2000 sq m with 11 treatment rooms. Facilities for banquets and wedding area for 2,000 people around the pool.