Rautalampi is a vibrant municipality in North Savonia region with about 3 500 inhabitans. In the summer there is a significant increase in the population as people come to their summer cottages. Rautalampi with its vast forest and numerous lakes is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful areas in Finland. The whole municipality can be travelled around by water and also the town center is sorrounded by lakes.
Rautalampi has a rich cultural history; many authors, musicians and artists, such as the Finlandia Prize awarded author Kari Hotakainen, have their roots in Rautalampi.
- Tourist Information, Kuopiontie 13, ☎ +358 40 647 5277.
The nearest railroad station is Suonenjoki about 20 km east of Rautalampi. There is a bus connection available from there.
The national main road number 9 between Jyväskylä and Kuopio passes near the town.
Public transportation is only available on the main roads. To get around and see something else than the main village, a car or bike is strongly recommended.
- Rautalampi Lutheran Church, Kirkkotie 4. The church of Rautalampi is one of the biggest wooden churches in northern Europe. Is was designed by the same architect C.A. Engel who also designed the cathedral and many other buildings in Helsinki.
- Rautalampi Museum, Kuopiontie 26. The Rautalampi Museum hosts an extraordinarily wide collection of local history. Currently, there are over 50 000 objects and recordings in the museum. The museum gives a good overview of local history, but there are also changing exhibitions including various interesting subjects.
- Orthodox Church, Nikolaoksentie 1. After WW2, a great number of Karelian evacuees have treasured the Orthodox tradition in Rautalampi. The church building, sacralized to honour Saint Nicholas the Worker, is located near the library.
- Mansions. There are expectionalley many tradiotional mansions in Rautalampi. Most of them are nowadays privately owned but can find a restaurant on reservation in both the Ropola Mansion and the Korhola Mansion. Korhola also offers B & B.
- Liimattanharju Esker. Road number 543 winds from the town center of Rautalampi all the way to Kerkonkoski. This beautiful scenic route runs between four lakes on Liimattalanharju esker.
- Riding school. Rautalampi has a riding high-school, the only one in Finland.
- The library, Rautalammintie 4. Rautalampi Library serves both tourists and local residents. Besides normal library services there are WiFi and computers with free internet connection available. A local speciality is the Finnskog collection of Forest Finns.
- Runon ja laulun Rautalampi. Culture event in June.
- Pestuumarkkinat. Pestuumarkkinat market fair is Rautalampi's biggest annual event. It is held during second weekend of September.
- Artteli. Artteli, located in the village center, sells all sorts of handworks.
- Myllyni Makasiini, Kuopiontie 46.
- Pestarin Valinta, Kuopiontie 17, ☎ +358 652 7740.
- Kelloliike T.F.Hemming, Kuopiontie 24, ☎ +358 17 530 470.
- Rautalammin Apteekki, Torikuja 4, ☎ +358 17 530 051.
During the summer only
- Kesä-Aurora, Kuopiontie 17, ☎ +358 40 911 7437.
- Kivisalmen Kievari, Rautalammintie 1935 (in Konnevesi).
- Nokisen Kipsa (in Nokisenkoski, Vaajasalmi), ☎ +358 45 151 8585.
There are at least three pubs in Rautalampi.
There is a youth hostel in Rautalampi and a camping site. Also available are a few mansions.
|Routes through Rautalampi|
|Jyväskylä ← Hankasalmi ←||SW E||→ Suonenjoki → Kuopio|