Râșnov was once part of the saxon region called Burzenland. However, the city is much older, dating from Thracian-Roman times. It is home to a freshly restored Saxon fortress from the 14th century, and also to many old Saxon houses. In German the name of the town is "Rosenau", which means Rosepond. There are about 15,000 inhabitants who live right next to a huge forest that leads up the mountains. The river Ghimbasel (german: Burzen) crosses the town. Today most of the population is Romanian, but there are also Rromas, and some Germans and Magyars. The city is rapidly developing towards an important tourism town, while new pensions and attractions are being developed. Those who rush through Brașov county, stop by to see the fortress, but many people take the time to stay here for a few days and enjoy its blend of nature and fun. Others choose it as a cheap and quiet base to explore the surrounding area with its numerous attractions (Brașov, Sinaia, Bran, Zărnești, Prejmer, etc.).
- From Brașov: exit Brașov to the south, toward Pitești/Rucăr. You will drive for about 10 km, then pass Cristian, and after another 2-3 km you will reach Râșnov. Total distance from Brașov: About 15 km.
- From Bucharest/Sinaia: while driving on national road DN1 you will reach Predeal. Here, after passing over a bridge, take a road to the left. You will pass Pârâul Rece. Total distance from Predeal: about 17 km. Total distance from Bucharest: about 180 km.
- From Pitești/Bran/Moeciu: Just follow the road to Brașov. You will pass Bran and Tohanu Nou. Total distance from Bran: about 15 km.
- From Poiana Brașov: As you drive towards Brașov, in the center of Poiana Brașov, just 100-150 m after the big parking space, there is a road to the left. Take that road, and then after 50 m take it to the right into the forest. Don't worry, the road is very good. The next city is Râșnov. Total distance from Poiana Brașov: about 10 km.
In Râșnov there are 2 gas station on the main road, one Lukoil (exit towards Brașov) and one Petrom (exit towards Bran).
There is a train on the route Brașov-Râșnov-Zărnești. It leaves from Brașov main station, where you can also get tickets, but you will have to ask which cassa is the right one as it is a private company. The price for one trip is about 2.7 Ron.
- the trains from Brașov to Râșnov leave at: 6:13 a.m., 8:18 a.m., 12:00, 2:17p.m., 4:02 p.m., 6:10 p.m., 8:12 p.m.
- the trains from Râșnov to Brașov leave at: 5:40 a.m. , 7:19 a.m., 11:09 a.m., 1:29 p.m., 3:27 p.m., 5:29 p.m., 7:24 p.m., 9:34 p.m.
- the trains from Râșnov to Zărnești leave at: 6:34 a.m., 8:40 a.m., 12:21 p.m., 2:38 p.m., 4:23 p.m., 6:31 p.m., 8:32 p.m., 10:36 p.m.
This timetable is also valid for weekends.
You should get off in the first station in Râșnov, otherwise you will end up about 2km from the town in Râșnov h. The stations are as follows: Brașov Main station - Brașov Bartolomeu - Cristian - Râșnov - Râșnov H - Tohanu Vechi - T Moșoiu - Zărnești.
Tip: on Saturday and Sunday you can use an old vapor-train on the route Brașov-Râșnov-Zărnești. This train leaves Brașov at around 9 a.m. (this is an approximate time) and then goes back to Brașov from Râșnov at exactly 11:36 a.m. . One ticket is about 10 Ron.
Brașov: The bus runs every 30-60 minutes from Codreanu Autostation (also known as "Autogara 2"; it is next to the soccer Stadium. Use the lines to get there). First fare is at 6:30AM, last fare is at 8PM or 9PM. Saturday and Sunday they go only every 60 minutes, and last fare is at 5PM. In Râșnov the bus stops several times. The price is 4 lei. To get from the main train station to Autogara 2 use line 23 or 23B. To get here from the center take the line 16. In order to return to Brașov, go to Strada Republicii street and the stop is near the technical liceum (Grupul Școlar Industrial).
Bran: the Bus towards Brașov crosses Râșnov.
Poiana Brașov, Predeal: None.
Hitchhiking to Râșnov from Brașov is a regular practice. The place you can try are the intersection of Lunga Street with soseaua Cristianului. Be sure to stand on the side of the road that goes out of the city (across the street from Bartholomeus Church). The second spot is down that road, toward Pitești, on the strip between Eliana Mall and the train crossing.
Hitchhiking from Bran is also quite a natural phenomenon, just stay in the bus station or on the road and signal your intent.
Hitchhikers have been seen to be picked up from the road Predeal - Brașov, but you will certainly need more patience.
It is polite to give the driver about 2-3 lei per person, from all these directions.
Any taxi driver will be glad to take you to Râșnov, but make sure you choose one which runs for a company. The price per km should not exceed 2 lei, and it must be shown on the door of the cab. Please note that you will also have to pay for the trip back that the taxi driver will have to make. The double fee per km will be calculated from the moment you are at the train passing and exit Brașov (but the sign with crossed Brașov will be reached only after 2-3 km). The total trip from Brașov (train station) should not cost more than 40-45 lei.
- Easiest is to walk,
- but there is also a taxi: Tur Taxi, phone 0268231100 or 0728 231 100 or 0743 281 100, plus country code +40.
- You can also get around with the bus that stops several times as it goes/comes to/from Brașov.
- Râșnov Citadel (Cetatea Râșnov). Built in the 14th century by the local Saxons it was meant to protect them from invaders and protect the Burtzenland's south eastern border, just 15 km away. It is freshly renovated and thus is the best preserved fortress in Romania. It also offers a breathtaking view as it is located on a big hill. In the fortress you can have a drink, and shoot with a bow. 10 lei for adults, 5 lei for minors, students and retired. How to get thereː
- by car: from Râșnov city center take the road towards Poiana Brașov and right where Râșnov ends go left. A forest road leads up to the parking for the fortress. Can be crowded and tight in high season.
- by foot: a wonderful walking path takes you from the center to the fortress, through a shady forest (but it is now under construction). As you face the hill from the city center, you will see a big entrance between two big old buildings (on the left there is a shop, and on the right a pub). Go through that entrance and follow the path. Walking time: 15-20 minutes. Difficulty: you need to be more or less fit, but certainly not a passionate hiker.
- by funicularː it's located close to the above-mentioned path.
- by foot2ː Go talong "Strada Cetății" until you reach a big parking place. There is a big cobblestone road that goes up to the castle. Here you may also take a "train" (actually a tractor with a trailer) that will take up the hill for a few lei (only during tourist season). However, it is extremely slow (walkers can pass it little effort) and generally not worth the money.
- The Evanghelical Church (Biserica Evanghelică) (Right in the city center.). It has been built in the 13th century and the murals date from around 1500.
- Old Orthodox Church: from the center park with the hill on your left hand side, go straight and then the second street to the left (quite a small street). Total walking distance: about 10-15 minutes. The church was built in 1384 by the Dan I Basarab. It also houses a small museum.
- Cheile Râșnoavei - this green canyon is appreciated for its beauty not only by locals and tourists but also by movie producers who have filmed here. In the canyon there is a fast mountain river with many small waterfalls. Here you can bungee jump, rappel, walk, drive an ATV, climb, picnic, tent (but beware of bears), or just enjoy this natural and well preserved area.
- Old Saxon houses: in the center towards the north. From the center park, with the hill on your right hand side, go straight and you will find several streets with old houses. After you pass the school go right, and follow the road that goes under the hill. You will end up with a beautiful walk through the forest. Most houses are 100-200 years old, and quite a few are beautifully restored.
- Old saxon cemetery on Armata Romana street.
- Roma neighborhood. The Roma neighborhood is located towards Pârâul Rece (Predeal).
- Orchids several orchid species can be found around and in Râșnov. It is also the home town of the Romanian Orchid Lovers Club.
- Surroundings: you can go to Bran and see the old Castle, or to Zărnești and visit the Piatra Craiului National Park, one of the greatest in Romania. You can visit Brașov, Poiana Brașov and Predeal. Râșnov, or Rosenau, was one of the towns in the old Saxon Burzenland, and around it you can visit the other old towns. Sinaia with Peles Castle and the view from 2200 m is a great place to visit.
- the old city of Brașov with the Black church and many towers.
- Prejmer fortified church, a UNESCO world heritage site
- Walk in the Promenada, a path in a forest at the base of a hill.
- Hiking Lots and lots of hiking opportunities. Malaiesti hut is 5h from the town and 3h from where the car road stops. You can stay there for 20ron/person. From Malaiesti you can go to Omu Peak (with hut) in 2-3h. Also from Mălăiești you can go to Țigănești Lake in 2.5h, or Bran in 5-6h. Another trek is from where the road in Râșnov ends is Diham hut, 2h to walk. All treks start from Glejerie area.
- Travel with a steam engine train (see get in section above)
- Picnic: in the Cheile Râșnoavei region you can have the picnic of your life.
- Mountain Climbing : several tracks. Please check this official site . Rappel and other similar activities are available. Also check the website of the local mountain club or call them +40 722 369965 or +40 723 228242.
- Horse Riding: in the "Cheile Râșnoavei" region there are places, as well as on the road towards Bran. Check: and .
- Bow shooting : up in the fortress you can shoot with a sport bow.
- Drive an ATV (also known as quad) through many forest tracks.
- Tent in the Cheile Râșnoavei region. But beware of bears: don't venture too far into the canyon. See also Extreme section.
- Mountainbike, ☎ +40 726229337. all around Râșnov you can enjoy a ride in a forest. The Cheile Râșnoavei is the best place. You can also rent bikes:.
- Helicopter, ☎ +40 732820530. helicopter rides over the mountains are available.
- Skiing and Snowboarding - Râșnov is 20 minutes by car from Predeal and Poiana Brașov, two important skiing resorts in Romania. You can rent all the equipment in the resorts (including sledges). Accommodation in Râșnov is however much cheaper.
- Bungee Jumping: presumably one of the highest in eastern Europe - 137 m. You jump between cliffs in the "Cheile Rasnoavei" region. The cost is 100Euro for one jump, and you need to make an appointment by calling Florin Saşca - 0726-229-337.
- Get eaten by a bear - certainly a life's experience. The huge forests that stretch out towards Poiana Brașov and Predeal are home to many wild bears. If you tent at night in the wrong place you might make a new hairy friend. Warning: Bears are really dangerous, and camping in Cheile Rasnoavei might result in an encounter. Unless you camp at the entrance of the canyon, on the field side of Râșnov, in a fenced camping or in a yard, you expose yourself to the life threatening situation of being visited by a rude bear who will disregard your gun, stick, fire, ninja sword, pepper spray or air gun. Bears go out at night. Walking in the forests during the day is safe, and a common practice for locals. If you encounter a bear at night it is looking for food, which is not you, but all the veggies (or, if it is starving, the meat) you are traveling with. Let it do its feeding and retreat slowly.
Beauty and fitness
- A small fitness center is on Teiului street (close to the Saxon school).
- A tanning studio is right next to the Saxon school.
- You can buy extraordinary stones in the fortress, as well as folklore art and handmade art.
- Râșnov has a market with fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Local cheese: in the market, or in shops.
- Râșnov has two supermarkets: Penny Market and MiniMax.
- Art from several local artists in Râșnov: beautiful religious paintings by the local artist Toma Condrea and Camelia Condrea phone: 0268 231072. Ioan Negus and Maria Negus paint modern art, they live on Bălcescu street, number 8; phone 0268230068. Savluc Boris does pastel art. He can be found on Brazilor street 47, phone 0268230609.
- BCR Erste Bank with ATMs and money transfer is located in Piata Unirii 10 (the center)
- BRD Groupe Societte General with ATM and money transfer is located in Caraiman street 2, near the market.
- Raiffeisen Bank with ATM is located at Republicii street, near the market.
There are a few restaurants in Râșnov.
- Castle Pub right in the center, impossible to miss.It is quite good and cheap (2-3 Euro for a pizza, 2 Euro a soup, less than 2 Euro for a beer).
- Izvor is the cheapest place to eat in Râșnov, but food is good. A soup is 5 lei, a beer 3 lei. It is in the center opposite of the hospital.
- Rosenau is from the city center towards the market: with the hill in your back go down the street with the Evanghelic Church(2 min walking). It looks good, but food is expensive and doesn't taste as good as in other places.
- Intim can be found on a parallel street: with the Castle Pub in your back go straight ahead on a small street which also has the BCR Bank building. Walking time 1 min. Prices are higher than in other places in Râșnov.
- Finally you can eat fried potatoes at Olandezu in the city center.
You can also buy your own food at the two supermarkets, Penny Market and Minimax. If you are looking for fresh meat for a barbecue, try the renowned butcher Arzoiu in the intersection Caraiman street and Armata Romana street.
- Castle Pub, in the center. A favorite among tourists.
- From the center towards the market (with the hill in your back, straight ahead) you can walk 2 min to Rosenau restaurant and bar.
- La Strada can be found as you walk 2 min from the center with the hill on your right hand side. Right after you pass the school yard on your right.
- Also in the center there is La Olandezu.
You will not pay more than 2€ in any of these for a beer. You will probably also get beer for about 1€ in any of these.
- There are many pensions offering accommodation for good prices in Râșnov and new ones are being opened all the time. Most of them are small pensions. You can find places that charge from 10 to 30 euro for one night. Here are some (you can find more in Google using the terms "cazare Râșnov"). Many people find it advantageous to stay in nearby Brașov -- it is significantly larger, with more options for sleeping, dining, and nightlife, and travel to Râșnov is a quick 30 minute bus ride that costs approximately EUR 1.00.
- Floare de Colt: 5 rooms, parking, 60 Ron/ night. phone: +40 745 256 370 , +40 744 377 079 , +40 268 231 338
- Casa Leah: 6 rooms, parking, BBQ, internet, 80 Ron/ night, discounts. phone: +40 746 038948 (ro), +40 752 085 850 (en)
- Anna: 2 rooms, 80 Ron/ night. phone: +40 268 231 386 , +40 726 295 899
- Reddis: 8 rooms, 70 Ron/night. phone: +40 745 187 267
- Rock & Red: 7 rooms, 3 apartments, internet, playroom and small fitness, 150 Ron/night. phone +40 722 703 199 , 0722 378 977
- Alina: 7 rooms, 1 apartment, parking, 80 Ron/ night. phone +40 744 473 061 , +40 268 231 146 , +40 728 685 115
- Rem's:13 rooms, garage, 75 Ron/night. phone +40 740 077 903 , +40 745 024 318
- Max international: 18 rooms,parking, minispa, 120 Ron/night. phone +40 268 231 810 , +40 744 203 870
- Andrei: 5 rooms, parking, 80 Ron/night. phone +40 723 326 289 , +40 720 122 452
- Belvedere: 10 rooms, 2 apartments, internet, parking, 80 Ron/ night. phone +40 722 375 112 , +40 368 592 016 , +40 723 536 559
- Casa Râșnoveana: 6 rooms, parking, 70 Ron/ night. phone +40 268 231 708 , +40 742 224 090 , +40 745 999 050
- Nelly: 6 rooms, parking, 80 Ron/night. phone: +40 728 644 208 , +40 745 011 870
- Casa Contelui: 5 rooms, internet, parking, 120 Ron/night. phone: +40 728 644 208 , +40 745 011 870
- Casa Ducar: 5 rooms, parking, optional internet, 80 Ron/night. phone +40 268 231 403 , +40 723 382 881
- You can also use couchsurfing in Râșnov, using parameters Romania, Brașov, Râșnov.
- There are two campgrounds in Râșnov: one before you exit the town towards Poiana Brașov, and one in the Glejerie area.
- In the center you can find two Internet cafes.
- The post office is on Mihai Viteazu street.
- The hospital in Râșnov is located in the center.
- in the center next to the hospital
- almost in the center towards Poiana Brașov
- on Republicii street as you go from the center to the market
- next to the Lukoil gas station at the exit towards Brașov.
Police and law
- The police station is located on Brazilor street number 11. Phone: 0268 (area code) 403844 or 0268 230 333. There must be somebody 24/7, but you might not be lucky to be able to communicate in English.
- A lawyer office is to be found on Brândușelor street 2, or on the phone 0268 403289.
Less than 100km
- You can visit Brașov which is less than 15 km away. See get in section for buses and trains.
- You can go to Bran (15km) or Moeciu(20km) and then pass the Rucăr passing to Pitești (100km) on the other side of the mountains. See get in section for busses. In Bran and Moeciu there are the famous Bran castle, and surrounding agrotoursim region.
- You can head for the ski resorts Predeal (20km), Sinaia (the famous Peleș Castle)(35km), Bușteni (25km), Azuga(22km).
- You have a direct road road up the mountain (very good condition) that will take you to the ski resort Poiana Brașov. Distance: about 9km.
- Zărnești is about 13km away, and easy to reach via bus or train (see get in section. Here you have access to one of Romanias most beautiful natural parks, Piatra Craiului.
- The ruins of Rupea are 75 km away.
- Sfântu Gheorghe, the first town in the Hungarian region of Romania is only 50km away. Notable destinations here include: Băile Tușnad (80km), Târgu Secuiesc (80km), Sf. Ana Lake, and Miercurea Ciuc (120km).
More than 100km
- You can see other great places in Transylvania such as Sibiu(150km), Sighișoara (140km) and Târgu Mureș(180km). Sibiu was the cultural capital of Europe in 2007 and a profoundly German city. Sighisoara is home to the only inhabited fortress in Europe. Târgu Mureș is a place marked by Hungarian influence.
- You can visit Moldova, and head to Bacau (180km). In the north of Moldova there are famous monasteries.
- You can also head to the capital Bucuresti (180km). If you have a car go via Predeal, if not, you must get first back to the very close Brașov.
- Pitești (100km) can be reached via Bran and the Rucar pass. It is on the other side of the mountain. Close to Pitești you can visit Curtea de Argeș, an old wallah fortress.
- The Transfăgărășan, a road that crosses the highest mountains with a dramatic scenery, is accessible via Fagaras(80km). From Fagaras you still have to drive about 40km to the beginning of the road. On the top of the mountain you pass Bâlea Lake (glacier), and then Vidraru Lake (anthropic). You end up in Curtea de Argeș, where there is an old wallah fortress.
- Chisinau, the capital of Moldavia, can be reached by bus from Brașov. The buses leave daily at 11:59 a.m. and at 7 p.m. , from Autogara 2, the place where the Râșnov-Brașov bus leaves you. For reservations call 0744362146.