Raseborg was created in 2009 by consolidating municipalities of Ekenäs, Karis and Pohja into a single town. Majority (66%) of the population speaks Swedish.
- Ekenäs (Tammisaari). Ekenäs is a coastal town at the edge of an archipelago, part of which is the Ekenäs Archipelago National Park. It has a pretty old town consisting of narrow streets of wooden houses. A medieval castle of Raseborg located in Ekenäs (formerly in the municipality of Snappertuna) gives name to the newly formed town.
- Karis (Karjaa). Karis is a railway junction located on both lines Helsinki - Turku and the Hanko - Hyvinkää.
- Pohja (Pojo). Pohja is one of the birthplaces of Finnish metal industry. Fiskars Corporation was founded near Pohja in 17th Century. Today Fiskars is also known as a centre of art and design.
The only Finnish ghost town Jussarö is located in Raseborg. Jussarö is in fact an island, where iron ore was mined once. Between 1967-2005 the island was used by the army. Since then it is accessible for the public again and it is even possible to stay over night there.
Karis can be reached by route 51 from Helsinki. It is located about 80 km west from the capital. After another 20 km along route 25 in direction of Hanko you will arrive to Ekenäs. From Turku you can arrive via highway E18 and route 52, the distance is about 115 km to Ekenäs.
By public transport
- Raseborg castle ruins, Raseborgs slottsväg (Fin: Raaseporin linnantie), Snappertuna, ☎ +358 19-234015, e-mail: email@example.com. May–first half of Jun daily 10:00–17:00; Midsummer's week–first half of Aug 10:00–20:00; rest of Aug and weekends in Sep 10:00–17:00. A pretty medieval castle (from 14th Century). Originally it was located near the sea shore, but due the post-glacial rise of land it eventually lost it's access to the sea and therefore also it's strategic importance. Café Slottsknektens stuga (The Castle Guard's Lodge) near the ruin was open already in 1893 to serve tourists. Apart from offering refreshments, it sells tickets to the castle and provides local information. A beautiful forest path, Kärleksstigen (Lovers’ Walk), leads from the castle ruins to the folk museum "Snappertuna Forngård". Adult €5, children under 12 free.
- Ekenäs Archipelago National Park Visitor Centre, Rantapuistikko, 10600 Tammisaari, ☎ +358 205 64 4613, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fiskars museum, Åkerraden 9, Fiskars, ☎ +358 19 237013, e-mail: email@example.com. daily 11:00-17:00. The museum shows life at the Fiskars Ironworks from the 17th century to present days. Adult €5, Discount €3, Under 17 years free.
- Fiskars 1649 exhibition, Fiskarsvägen 22, Fiskars (12 Clock Tower Building). 3 May - 30 Sep daily 10:00-18:00, other times daily 11:00-17:00. The themes of the exhibition are the village's industrial history and to Fiskars Corporation today. Free entrance.
- Paddlingsfabriken in Ekenäs, Gullövägen 400, Ekenäs, ☎ +358 400 411992, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Kayak rentals, courses, guided tours in archipelago.
- Raseborgs Festspel (Raseborg Festival), Gullövägen 400, Ekenäs. Series of events at the Raseborg castle, including Raseborgs Summer theater, Midsummer festival, Medieval fair and tournaments in July, etc.
- Faces Etnofestival, Fiskars Village (20 minute busride from Karjaa bus station or with festival bus (5€) that departs from the Karjaa train station), ☎ +358 46 849 0653, e-mail: email@example.com. First weekend of August. Sat 40€, Sun 25€, Sat+Sun 45€.
- Fiskars Shop, Fiskarsintie 22, Fiskars (Clock Tower Building,), ☎ +358 204 39 5612, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 13 May-31 Aug daily 10:00-18:00, other times daily 11:00-17:00. Company stores of favourite Finnish brands: Fiskars, Arabia, Hackman and Iittala.