Most visitors to Rømø rent a cottage for one or two weeks. But it is also possible to stay in hotels or Bed & Breakfasts for a day or two. And if you are in South Jutland it is worth it to go to Rømø for a day trip.
The attraction of Røme is the spectacular nature: the heather, the enormous beaches, the Wadden Sea.
Rømø is connected to mainland by a road running across a causeway.
Rømø is a good size for bicycles and there are bicycle paths along the major roads (Havnebyvej and Vesterhavsvej).
It is possible to drive on to the huge beaches at Lakolk and Sønderstrand. But keep an eye on the cars while parked. The tide can come quickly.
- Rømø Cykler, Havnebyvej 60 (Next to Rømø Butcher), ☎ +45 22 34 13 85. Apr-Jun 10:00-17:00; Jul-Aug 9:00-18:00; Sep-Oct 10:00-17:00. Bicycle Rental DKK 60 per day.
- Kommandørgård Museum, Juvrevej 60, Toftum. May - October. Mansion house ( 1770 ) of the Thaden family. Free WiFi Free entrance.
- Toftum School, Juvrevej 56 (Next to Kommandørgården). Tiny old straw-roof school building free entrance.
- Rømø Fuglemuseum, Thadesvej 1. May-Oct, Tu-Su: 10-17. DKK 20.
- Naturcenter Tønnisgård, Havnebyvej 30, ☎ +45 74 75 52 57, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Mar-Oct Mo-Fr 10.00-16.00; Nov-Mar Mo-We 10.00-15.00. Exhibitions on nature and the Wadded Sea. Tønnisgård arrange many organized tours and events in the region. It is a good place to start a vacation to get an idea about what is going on. DKK 22.
- Rømø Mini Museum, Havnebyvej 30 (Behild Tønnisgård). Tells the history of the Rømø’s formation, from a sandbank to its present size. Free entrance.
- Rømø Church (Sankt Clemens Kirke), Havnebyvej 152, ☎ +45 74755231. Mo-Su: 8.00-16.00. Church from 1200. Notice the seven model ships and the hat hooks. Free entrance.
Go to the beach - it's the largest sand beach in Northern Europe - during low tide it can be 2,5 wide and 8,5 km long.
- Høstbjerg. Climb the highest point on Rømø (19 meters). On a clear day you can see to Esbjerg in the north and south to the island of Sylt. free.
- Rømø Labyrinth Park. DKK 70.
- Rømø Golf Club, Vestergade 31. DKK 300.
- Rømø Candles (Rømø Lys), Lakolk Butikscenter 18, ☎ +45 73755151, e-mail: email@example.com. Make your own candles DKK 5 per 100 grams of candles.
- Rømø Fishing Lake (Rømø Fiskesø), Vestervej 46, ☎ +45 24253945. sundawn-sunset. Put and Take from €11.
- Windriders, ☎ +45 22341385, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Apr-Oct. Blokarts, Kitewings, Traction kites, Kite Buggies and Kite boards on the south Beach.
- Pick you own oysters. Sep-Apr. You can pick you own oysters north-east of Havneby. The oysters are there all year. But they are safe to eat in months with a name with an "R". Bring rubber boots. free, DKK with tour.
- Seal Safari. DKK 235.
- Thomsens Ridecenter, Vråbyvej 9, Havneby, ☎ +45 74756880, e-mail: info@Sigurd-Thomsen.com. Horse riding in the woods or on the beach From €22.
- Bunker tours (starts at Tønnisgård). Visit the old WW2 bunkers on Rømø. Guided tours in German and Danish. It starts by a presentation in Tønnisgård when you drive or cycle in your own vehicle to the first bunker. You visit four bunkers. The two last ones are a bit challenging. You have to climb ladders and move in narrow shafts. Bring a good flashlight (they have a few extra for people who did not bring a flashlight) and shoes that can take some water. DKK 75.
- Rømø Bakery (Rømø Bageriet), Havnebyvej 214.
- Rømø Butcher (Rømø Slagteren), Prilen 2, ☎ +45 29907516, e-mail: email@example.com. Butcher and delicatessen. Very helpful. Try the local lamb.
- Produce Stand. Fresh Potatoes, tomatoes, eggs, onions, strawberries, etc depending on the season..
Local specialties include the Wadden Sea lamb, which you can see grazing along the causeway to Rømø, and seafood, for example the small brown shrimps.
If you have access to a kitchen or a barbecue you can make a great local fresh meal with vegetables and eggs from one of the honor box produce stands, fish from the shop in Havneby or lamb from the butcher.
- Florandas Restaurant, Havnebyvej 201 (In Hotel Kommandørgården). Steaks and Fish
- Havneby Kro, SKansen 3, Havneby, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Solid Danish food. Good seafood. DKK 200, In the summer all you can eat buffet for DKK 178.
- Holms, Nordre Havnevej 1 (at the harbour in Havneby), ☎ +45 74755066, e-mail: email@example.com. Popular seafood restaurant. DKK 200 for a typical main course.
- Otto & Ani's Fisk, Havnepladsen 6, ☎ +45 74755306. Very informal place with excellent fresh fish. The luxury seafood platter
- Ristorante Europa, Vestergade 2, Havneby, ☎ +45 74757460. to 22:00. Pizzas and pasta. Eat at tables inside and outside. DKK 80.
- Cafe Hattesgaard, Hattesvej 17, Tvismark (Off Havnebyvej, at Rømø Købmanden), ☎ +45 72752111. 10:00-19:00. Very Cosy cafe and antique shop. Sandwiches, salads and cakes. Free Wifi. DKK 100 lunch.
You can have a drink at most restaurants and cafes. Havneby Kro has a good bar. On a nice day Hattesgaard is the place to enjoy a drink outside at one of the outside terraces.
- Cafe Skansen, Nordre Havnevej 32 (Havneby), ☎ +45 64647630, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. from 11:00. Cafe and delicatessen with local products. Good selection of beers. Free Wifi.
- Hotel Lakolk, Lakolk 150, ☎ +45 74755145, e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Great location, you can walk right through the dunes to the wide beach. Also have 4-person family apartments with a small kitchen. DKK 800.
- Kommandørgården, Havnebyvej 201, ☎ +45 74 755 122.
- Kommandørgården Camping, Havnebyvej 201. DKK 82 per person per day.
- Hotel Vadehavet, Havnebyvej 119, ☎ +45 7199 4333. Bed and Breakfast. Free WiFi DKK 685.
- Kommandørgården has free WiFi and free entrance.
- Hattesgaard is a great place to connect to the free WiFi while having a coffee or a beer.
- Statoil 1-2-3 Internetcafe.
- Tønnisgård. Has free Wi-Fi.
Røme is generally safe, just watch out for the tide.
On the north end Juvre Sand is used for military exercises. When in use a signal ball is raised.
The closest pharmacy is in Skærbæk.
- Ribe is a charming town 30 Km north of the Rømø causeway.
- Sylt Take the ferry to Sylt. A daypass is cheaper than a return ticket. If you go by car you can take the ferry to Sylt, then use the car-train from Sylt to Niebüll on mainland Germany and drive back to Rømø.
- Højer See the dike, the windmill, and buy some of the famous Højer sausages.
- Tønder Towards the German border. Old charming city with narrow streets.
- Skærbæk. The nearst town in mainland Jutland. It has several supermarkets, a pharmacy. Skærbæk Holiday Centre (bowling, fitness, laundry, restaurants) is located there.